Subject: Question about a vanishing auction geeklist rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
S Squidpigge
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not a new user but figured maybe I would post my question here. I had the winning bid for an item in an auction when I viewed the list after the posted closing time. Then when I checked this morning the entire geeklist is gone. I have not been contacted, I am hoping to get a response to my geekmail, but who knows.

I am sure there is nothing that I can really do about it, but I'm just wondering if there is a way to provide feedback on this behavior. I have ran auctions in the past that haven't turned out as lucrative as I have hoped but I have always followed through with the sales as long as I followed my own auction rules. This auction had starting bids and there wasn't a statement saying it could be pulled at anytime.

I guess this might be a bit more of a venting than anything else, but I am also looking for suggestions in case I don't get a response to my geekmail regarding the auction item.

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
It just closed last night?

It does take time to create marketplace items, etc. I would give them time to set things up and send out messages before crying foul.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S Squidpigge
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Guantanamo wrote:

It does take time to create marketplace items, etc. I would give them time to set things up and send out messages before crying foul.

Thanks. I am hoping to get a response, as mentioned above. I just thought it was odd that the entire geeklist vanished. Also, it shouldn't take that long to create the marketplace item, there was only one game with bids. I will try to be patient, if you can't tell by my post it is definitely not one of my virtues.

Thanks again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
swmalone wrote:
Guantanamo wrote:

Thanks. I am hoping to get a response, as mentioned above. I just thought it was odd that the entire geeklist vanished. Also, it shouldn't take that long to create the marketplace item, there was only one game with bids. I will try to be patient, if you can't tell by my post it is definitely not one of my virtues.

Thanks again.

Oh it was only one item?

Then it's weird.

If it was a bunch of items, I wouldn't blame a person switching the list to private to reduce after closing bids, while getting it figured out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S Squidpigge
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Guantanamo wrote:
swmalone wrote:
Guantanamo wrote:

Thanks again.

Oh it was only one item?

Then it's weird.

If it was a bunch of items, I wouldn't blame a person switching the list to private to reduce after closing bids, while getting it figured out.

If I remember correctly there were maybe 5 or 6 total items on the auction and the auction was listed with a hard end time. I checked after the end time and I had the high bid on the item I wanted and no other item had any bids. I asked a question on the item I bid on to see if the auction was now closed because I was signing off soon. I didn't get a response and went to bed, then this morning the entire list was gone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathrin
Austria
Wien
flag msg tools
mb
At least you can still see your comments on the item in your posting history: https://boardgamegeek.com/comments/listitem/swmalone

Google has also cached an earlier image of it (which you can find by searching for the geeklist title). Just in case you didn't know and it's useful for documenting stuff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S Squidpigge
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
marble911 wrote:
At least you can still see your comments on the item in your posting history: https://boardgamegeek.com/comments/listitem/swmalone

Google has also cached an earlier image of it (which you can find by searching for the geeklist title). Just in case you didn't know and it's useful for documenting stuff.

Thank you that is very helpful. I just kept trying to get to it through manage subscriptions. The problem is that it only shows my side of the conversation, but still useful to have some of the transaction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It looks deleted rather than set to private.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S Squidpigge
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
marble911 wrote:

So how do I find that earlier version that google cached? When I search by the title I only see links to the dead geeklist on bgg.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathrin
Austria
Wien
flag msg tools
mb
You have to click the little downwards pointing arrow next to the url that is shown in the search result. Then it should say something like "cached" (im using a non-English version, so don't know exactly). It was cached on May 20 01:21:29 GMT, so doesn't have all the comments, but it shows the item.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S Squidpigge
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
marble911 wrote:
You have to click the little downwards pointing arrow next to the url that is shown in the search result. Then it should say something like "cached" (im using a non-English version, so don't know exactly). It was cached on May 20 01:21:29 GMT, so doesn't have all the comments, but it shows the item.

Thanks, and darn, cached before my bid. shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's only one item with a $35 starting bid. Plus, if you mouseover the date/time in the cached version, you'll see 5396095. If you mouseover the geeklist link to the left of your comment, you'll see the same 5396095. So it's obvious that you commented on that item, whether the cached view shows it or not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S Squidpigge
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all of the assistance with that. Hopefully I will receive a response to the geekmail I sent and we can get this sorted out. I am especially frustrated because I passed on purchasing a copy that was in the marketplace because I was following this auction and now the copy in the marketplace that was similarly priced has been sold. As mentioned above maybe they are just generating the marketplace listing for the item, I just thought it was strange to delete the auction geeklist prior to all of the auction transactions being completed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Once you've given them a chance to respond, if you don't get a geekmail or a marketplace listing, Octavian would be the next person to talk to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S Squidpigge
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
indigopotter wrote:
Once you've given them a chance to respond, if you don't get a geekmail or a marketplace listing, Octavian would be the next person to talk to.

Will do, thank you. Just for future reference, what is considered an acceptable amount of time to wait to receive a response when dealing with auction items?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S Squidpigge
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I just received this in response to my geekmail requesting an update as to what was going on.

Quote:
I'm being moved overseas faster than I had anticipated so the movers are here this week packing everything up, including all my games, so I am going to have to cancel all my auctions until I am relocated.

I responded saying that I would be more than happy to pay immediately if it would still be possible to ship.

Any suggestions on how I should handle this. I was thinking I would also suggest that I would be willing to wait until they are relocated as long as my winning bid still stands, but maybe I'm being unreasonable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy G
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Mold the chaos into something beautiful
mbmbmbmbmb
Neither of your suggestions sounds at all unreasonable to me! In fact, you seem to be very understanding and willing to work with them. Hopefully they will do the same with you. An issue with waiting until they are overseas though would be if they want you to pay for shipping from there, which would probably significantly increase your price.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S Squidpigge
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
oriecat wrote:
Neither of your suggestions sounds at all unreasonable to me! In fact, you seem to be very understanding and willing to work with them. Hopefully they will do the same with you. An issue with waiting until they are overseas though would be if they want you to pay for shipping from there, which would probably significantly increase your price.

Yes that was a concern of mine as well. I went ahead and forwarded a link to this thread to Octavian just to keep him up to date on what is going on. I did let him know that at the moment I am trying to work it out on my own, but figured the sooner I give him a heads up the better. This just really seems like poor auction etiquette to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
swmalone wrote:
oriecat wrote:

Yes that was a concern of mine as well. I went ahead and forwarded a link to this thread to Octavian just to keep him up to date on what is going on. I did let him know that at the moment I am trying to work it out on my own, but figured the sooner I give him a heads up the better. This just really seems like poor auction etiquette to me.

Yeah, it would seem that your original concerns may have had validity.

The response just doesn't seem to add up.

Taking a box off the shelf so the movers don't pack it, seems like a very easy solution if he wanted to sell to you.

But hey I've never had someone else move me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S Squidpigge
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Guantanamo wrote:
swmalone wrote:
oriecat wrote:

Yeah, it would seem that your original concerns may have had validity.

The response just doesn't seem to add up.

Taking a box off the shelf so the movers don't pack it, seems like a very easy solution if he wanted to sell to you.

But hey I've never had someone else move me.

I have had someone else move me, it is usually pretty easy to set aside things that you don't want them to pack up, it is also recommended that you are on-site when it is happening in case there are questions or concerns. It also seems off that I get this response to my geekmail but the auction was just deleted with no explanation of anything going on, no acknowledgment of my winning bid, etc. I kind of have a feeling that he hoped to get more money and decided to just pull everything. I hope I am wrong but it seems to be pointing in that direction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
swmalone wrote:
indigopotter wrote:

Will do, thank you. Just for future reference, what is considered an acceptable amount of time to wait to receive a response when dealing with auction items?

I don't know that there is an official answer, and even if there was, this is an unusual case with extenuating circumstances, so it seems to be worth pursuing sooner rather than later.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S Squidpigge
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
indigopotter wrote:
swmalone wrote:
indigopotter wrote:

I don't know that there is an official answer, and even if there was, this is an unusual case with extenuating circumstances, so it seems to be worth pursuing sooner rather than later.

Thanks. I sent additional information to Octavian, and hopefully he will have some suggestions. I know that in the long run if the seller decided not to sell the game there is pretty much nothing I can do about it, but maybe there is some pressure that BGG admins can place on the seller that I'm not aware of.

Thanks again I appreciate all of the assistance, always such a helpful community and considering how often I'm on here and how many auctions and trades I have participated in this is one of the few times I have had a negative experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
This is why I started adding the seller's username and the item name in my bid posts.

swmalone wrote:
marble911 wrote:

Thank you that is very helpful. I just kept trying to get to it through manage subscriptions. The problem is that it only shows my side of the conversation, but still useful to have some of the transaction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S Squidpigge
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a feeling that the seller has chosen to ignore my suggestions of me paying immediately and shipping the game prior to his relocation, or even completing the transaction once the relocation is complete.

Again thank you for all of the suggestions and I will be sure to post back the final resolution.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathrin
Austria
Wien
flag msg tools
mb
swmalone wrote:
I have a feeling that the seller has chosen to ignore my suggestions of me paying immediately and shipping the game prior to his relocation, or even completing the transaction once the relocation is complete.

Maybe he is being overwhelmed with the move right now. Moves can be quite stressful, especially when they involve moving abroad.
Still, I think deleting the geeklist was very bad form and makes it look like he was hoping to just ignore that there had been an auction at all. At the very least, he should have contacted you before/instead of deleting the list.
In any case, I hope you find a solution that works out for both of you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.