Subject: Our Thoughts on WoW BG rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kelsam Tabletop
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb

Hey guys, we've been overhauling a lot of the content on Kelsam Tabletop to more accurately reflect our feedback and thoughts on the games we play. Here is our latest update for WoW BG. We'd love to hear your feedback You can find our full content for WoW BG on Kelsam Tabletop:

Kelsam Tabletop - World of WarCraft The Board Game

-----

We enjoy WoW BG a very great deal. Being huge fans of the Runebound series, as well as the WarCraft universe, this game was a no-brainer for us. It truly is a unique experience, though. Through its faction-based turns system, leveling system, and combat system; you will always be clawing to reach the top levels before your opponents so you can defeat the overlord for the win. A truly engaging game from start to finish!

Figures
This game came with a cavalcade of figures in the box. Adding the expansions to the mix pretty well doubled the already substantial quantity of miniatures. This game has nearly triple the amount of miniatures that any of our other games have. Furthermore, these miniatures are very unique and detailed. We have had some issues with warping, giving some of the figures a leaning appearance, most notably in our gnolls.

Character and Class Options
We think that the variety of characters and classes, especially when you have the expansions, is awesome! There are 9 different classes, and the choice between Horde and Alliance characters for each one. The class has its own unique deck of abilities, giving the game high replayability and interesting combos. The added skill and talent spaces provided by the expansion character card extensions was another great addition.

Leveling
For World of Warcraft the Board Game, the player levels are tracked on the board, and bonuses are provided to players who are lower on the totem pole. When characters level up, they gain a new talent, and are allowed to utilize stronger skill cards. They usually also get increases in health and energy. The way the levels are balanced in this game was well thought out and works, making the faction vs. faction gameplay feel even.

Quests
Quests are the main "meat" of this game. The quest cards spawn creatures on the board, as well as providing interesting and entertaining flavor text, which adds game immersion. In addition to the quest creatures, the quest cards also spawn independent creatures, which can hinder movement or provide additional opportunities with the expansion rewards. As players complete quests, they gain experience gold and items. Using these rewards, characters get better and stronger over time, until they are ready to face the final boss.

Combat
Combat in this game is done very creatively. Your various skills and abilities give you a series of colored Xd8. These dice represent your combat abilities in ranged and melee attacks, and defense. The board has a reference area to aid you in the step-by-step combat system, that utilizes these dice in one of the most ingenuitive combat styles we've played.

Another amazing thing about combat in this game is the consecutive coop mechanic. Using these rules, multiple teammates can participate in combat at the same time. This is probably one of the coolest parts of coop in this game, because it allows your faction to take on stronger and more difficult monsters than you would be able to alone. Additionally, this can sometimes boost your level up process, because you get bonuses for defeating higher level quests.

Outland and Dungeons
The Burning Crusade Expansion was a particularly innovative one, in comparison to most games expansions. This expansion came with additional adventure types, called Dungeons, as well as a large board expansion. This board expansion is called Outland and can only be reached via The Dark Portal. This is especially awesome from a narrative point-of-view, if you know any WoW lore, because Outland is a story-rich chunk of the destroyed orc home world. It also added a whole new level of monsters to fight, in addition to a slew of new creature types, supporting the sixth level and maintaining difficulty throughout. This also allowed for the implementation of much more extravagant scenarios, which we thought was really cool.

-----

- Kelsam
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jan hendrik
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very good review, i only have 2 plays under my belt so far, and i use the Solo rules from the file section from Stoef (https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/78762/world-warcraft-solo...) they really work a charm! At least for me
This deletes the downtime, wich is my only concern in the game.

I am still to play the expansion (TBC) with those rules, and i hope they apply to it as well as the base game. Have you ever tried this? or even the solo rules?

For me as a World of Warcraft Fanboy, this game is amazing! although you have to admit, the size of this game + the expansion TBC is really freaking annoying...........shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelsam Tabletop
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
brullemans wrote:
Very good review, i only have 2 plays under my belt so far, and i use the Solo rules from the file section from Stoef (https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/78762/world-warcraft-solo...) they really work a charm! At least for me
This deletes the downtime, wich is my only concern in the game.

I am still to play the expansion (TBC) with those rules, and i hope they apply to it as well as the base game. Have you ever tried this? or even the solo rules?

For me as a World of Warcraft Fanboy, this game is amazing! although you have to admit, the size of this game + the expansion TBC is really freaking annoying...........shake

We have not played those specific solo/coop rules, but don't see any reason they wouldn't function with the expansion as well. We often play with a similar set of coop rules that accomplish, for the most part, the same goals (we just don't modify any events).

Our coop variant (experience overview and link to rules at the bottom):
http://tabletop.samnkels.com/blog/world-of-warcraft-the-boar...

We LOVE the TBC expansion and think it's a must-buy for this game. It adds a 6th level, new abilities and talents for every character, a new level for all monsters, and quite a few new monster types. Not to mention the Outland board addition, dungeons, destiny deck, etc. TBC and Shadow of War also come with blue quest cards, for the independent creatures, which is a super nice add-on. It allows to get a little something out of those situations where the board is just covered in blue creatures, stopping you from accomplishing your actual quests.

The size of this game + expansion on the table can get a bit out of hand, but we actually prefer it this way. Even with it's size, we still find ourselves to be overfilling some regions of the board quite often.

- Kelsam

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shoosh shoo
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So... I bought this game in a thrift store a few years ago. Cost me $5! I have never played it but have no desire to part with it bc of my emotional attachment to WoW

For you people who have played it, how long does a game take with a full player count?? Ive heard this one friend say he knew a couple who played it for 18 hours! One game.

I plan on learning it bc i want to get my game group into the game but i cant see them staying interested for so long... Hell im not even sure i would be lol!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Murkes
Netherlands
Voorburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Try the Coop rules variant. PvP in teams (the standard way to play) has atrocious downtime (up to more than 30 mins per round)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zygmunt Horodyski
msg tools
You can easlly shorten rounds by half and more by adding additional set of dices (best are 4 sets of dices, two for each fraction). In rule book you have variant for pvp that makes PvP much faster.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls