15 Posts

Charterstone» Forums » General

Subject: Amount of narrative text and other languages rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Don Sombrero
msg tools
mb
So far I have not really followed the mechanics overview in the game but I've seen Jamey mentioning that once you open the box, you read something out loud to other players.

The question is: how much of "read out loud" text is there in the game and how important is it for the overall experience ?

Personally, I prefer to have all mechanics related text (e.g. action description) in English but the important flavor (e.g. This war of Mine) in my native language as people do not refrain from leading out loud.

Also, have any translations been confirmed?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberto Miquel
Spain
Madrid
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
At least the Spanish version is confirmed: http://www.malditogames.com/tienda/inicio/36-comprar-charter...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Don: Pretty much all text in the game is to be read out loud. There are two main instances of this:

1. When you unlock new content, there's often rule/story elements that all players need to know.

2. At the end of the game, there's a little bit of text to read; again, all players need to know it.

All of this text will be on sticker cards--you read the text, then put the sticker in the rulebook.

As for text for the gameplay itself (cards and buildings), there's very little text. So aside from what I mentioned above, the core gameplay is almost completely language independent.

Charterstone will be available in a number of languages.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Sombrero
msg tools
mb
Great - that's exactly what I needed to know!

Thanks Jamey, thanks Roberto!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danilo Festa
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jameystegmaier wrote:

In Italian too?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiago Miranda
Brazil
Brasília
Distrito Federal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jameystegmaier wrote:
Yes.

I've already preordered an English version of the game. Will u guys have PDF files on different languages (such as Portuguese) if we need to read out loud in our native language?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tiago: For Charterstone, we're not able to do that. We'll offer the core rulebook in many languages for digital download, but there are so many different rule and story cards that would be huge spoilers if they were available publicly that we can't do that. However, Charterstone will be published for people in Brazil in 2017, so you can just get that version and cancel your English pre-order if you'd like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Léo Chabanne
France
Grenoble
FRA
flag msg tools
I forgot one tiny rule..
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jamey, can you share the list of languages Charterstone will be available in?

It seems for now English, German, Italian and Brazilian Portuguese editions are planned. Any others ? (I'm personnally interested in a French version)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Leo: I'd love to, but I've found that most of our international partners prefer to announce that type of thing on their own terms. I can hint and say that we tend to work with partners on multiple games and that Charterstone's first print run will be in 10 languages.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Winston Spencer
Brazil
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jameystegmaier wrote:
... However, Charterstone will be published for people in Brazil in 2017...

Thanks Jamey. It´s helps a lot
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason John
United States
Whitinsville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jameystegmaier wrote:
Don: Pretty much all text in the game is to be read out loud. There are two main instances of this:

1. When you unlock new content, there's often rule/story elements that all players need to know.

2. At the end of the game, there's a little bit of text to read; again, all players need to know it.

All of this text will be on sticker cards--you read the text, then put the sticker in the rulebook.

As for text for the gameplay itself (cards and buildings), there's very little text. So aside from what I mentioned above, the core gameplay is almost completely language independent.

Will any information be "secret" in some way/shape/form? (i.e. "At the end of this game, XYZ will happen, but don't tell anyone until then!") This might be important for people in multi-language groups. Your answer here hints at no, which means only one person needs to be able to read the language and translate vs. all the players...but then again "pretty much" isn't particularly definitive

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think anything in the game is kept secret from other players at any time. Nothing is coming to mind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Sombrero
msg tools
mb
jameystegmaier wrote:
I don't think anything in the game is kept secret from other players at any time. Nothing is coming to mind.

Except for your next couple of moves
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason John
United States
Whitinsville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don Sombrero wrote:
jameystegmaier wrote:

Except for your next couple of moves

...Unless you're at our gaming group. I'm STILL trying to find that damn mind reading device they put on me...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.