Subject: Using advance rules Leader cards rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
H Chapman
United States
Lansdale
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Played the game last night for the first time. Used the leader cards.

It was a Vatican Report round where I knew I didn't want to be excommunicated, and I was searching for a way to obtain the 2 faith points I needed. But then I realized I had 2 leader cards that I wasn't going to ever play, so I discarded them for 2 council privileges taking the 2 faith points I needed.

This got us to thinking. Without the leader cards I would have had to use at least one family member and perhaps two to get those faith points. But with the leader cards I could use those family members for growth in other ways.

So, I wonder: is it a harder, less forgiving game to play without the leader cards where you don't get to just throw away a useless card and get the item(s) you need??

Does anybody prefer the basic game to the advanced game??

Has anybody used just the advanced Personal Bonus Tiles??
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Herrero
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I played for the first time as well. We used the leader cards and the personal tiles. Because it was our first time we didn't notice the difference using the personal tiles. Activating the axes or the wheels is very hard.
The leader cards felt like goal cards to me. At the beginning, I was lost but by looking at the cards I felt that I have a purpose.
Anyhow, I lost badly. My wife totally kicked my butt...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Misha Nosiara
Australia
Como
Western Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Will not play this game again with leader cards....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phillip Millman
United States
Potomac
MD
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Misha99 wrote:

Why not?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H Chapman
United States
Lansdale
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Donie wrote:
The leader cards felt like goal cards to me. At the beginning, I was lost but by looking at the cards I felt that I have a purpose.

I felt that way, too, at first. And I scored 8 points from one and 4 points from another, but I wonder whether I could have scored 12 points (or more) by using the cards for 2 Council priveledges and pursuing a different path instead -- did those goals actually help or hinder me, or neither??

Which brings me back to my first thought: does the fact you can discard leader for council priveleges actually make this an easier game to play??

ExWallStreetGuy wrote:
Misha99 wrote:

Why not?

Yes, I'm interested in hearing why not, too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Todea
Australia
Adelaide
South Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the ability to discard a leader for a council privilege is there to mitigate any 'luck of the draw' when the cards are being drafted. If you take this out, then some players might complain about their cards.

I think it's a good idea to swap a 'bad' leader for a privilege, as you're not likely bring all 4 in play anyway.
In saying that, I have seen a game where a player had placed 3 of their 4 leaders, which is not an easy feature to do IMHO. And he won the game too.

I would only play the game with leaders, I think they bring in that bit of extra thinkiness and they definitely help with replayability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.