fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/grown-men-upset-by-movie...

HuffPo wrote:
Men are freaking out at Alamo Drafthouse for hosting ladies-only 'Wonder Woman' screenings

On Wednesday, Alamo Drafthouse Austin announced it would hold a women-only "Wonder Woman" screening when the movie debuts in June.

"Apologies, gentlemen, but we’re embracing our girl power and saying 'No Guys Allowed' for one special night at the Alamo Ritz," the movie theatre wrote. "And when we say 'Women (and People Who Identify As Women) Only,' we mean it. Everyone working at this screening — venue staff, projectionist, and culinary team — will be female."

Some people did not respond well to the announcement and perceived exclusion.

"Alamo Drafthouse, will there be a male only screening for Thor: Ragnarok or a special screening for IT that's only for those who identify as clowns?" one Facebook commenter wrote.

"We might actually have to steal that clown idea," the Alamo Drafthouse account responded. "Thanks Ryan!"

In fact, it seems that whoever is running the Austin Alamo Drafthouse Facebook account has a snappy response for critics across the board. Here's a sampling of how the theater is responding:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
Your sea is so great and my boat is so small.
mbmbmbmbmb
Fucking snowflakes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stiles
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
Shaman
mbmbmbmbmb
KrazyIrish89 wrote:
dkearns wrote:
Fucking snowflakes.

Joke all you want but is discrimination based on sex cool now? I get that this is a silly thing to be upset about but at the same time tons of people would be upset if they held a "men only" event. You can admit that, right?

It's a promotional ploy, nothing more. Let the market decide.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Baird
United States
Pflugerville
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
They're doing a pirates-only Pirates of the Caribbean thing this weekend. Should I be outraged as a non-pirate?

I'm surprised they're not getting upset at the gender-free bathrooms in the new Mueller Alamo instead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
Your sea is so great and my boat is so small.
mbmbmbmbmb
KrazyIrish89 wrote:
dkearns wrote:
Fucking snowflakes.

Joke all you want but is discrimination based on sex cool now? I get that this is a silly thing to be upset about but at the same time tons of people would be upset if they held a "men only" event. You can admit that, right?

Yes, its cool now. Because that's exactly what is going on here. Discrimination. Systematic discrimination against men for one day so they can't go see Wonder Woman.

There's never "men only" events, like the health care planning going on in the senate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
KrazyIrish89 wrote:
I get that this is a silly thing to be upset about but at the same time tons of people would be upset if they held a "men only" event.
People wouldn't be upset if it were done in fun and from a self-consciously inclusive position, as in this instance.

The problem arises when someone is so thick as to think that 10,000 years of men restricting, controlling, moderating, regulating, and confining women somehow just evaporates overnight and suddenly now everything must be a strictly equal mathematical equation. I think women might like to know where all of the "MUST BE STRICTLY EQUAL!" crowd have been for the last 10,000 years of shameful inequality.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
KrazyIrish89 wrote:
dkearns wrote:
Fucking snowflakes.

Depends on how the "men only" event is being marketed and whether it materially prevents people from accessing the movie. Is the showing on opening night for a movie that has no relationship to gender whatsoever? Then yeah, only admitting men is a pretty dick move and people would be justifiably upset.

But if it's a random weekday evening several days after release for a showing of "The Guy Movie" then no, I don't really care. Let the theater promote its men-centric movie with a special men-centric time slot. Especially if the same theater has an unrestricted showing of the same movie that same night.

This Wonder Woman scenario is much more like the latter than the former.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
fenners wrote:
They're doing a pirates-only Pirates of the Caribbean thing this weekend. Should I be outraged as a non-pirate?

We Ninja's are not amused. ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Feathers
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fightcitymayor wrote:
I think women might like to know where all of the "MUST BE STRICTLY EQUAL!" crowd have been for the last 10,000 years of shameful inequality.

Heck they probably want to know where that crowed is during every election.

And I'm glad that the theater is sticking to their guns and supporting their decision to do this and has already sold out the two events they've made. I think a fair few would have decided to fold based on the backlash but I like that they're sticking with it. It seems a fun way for female fans of Wonder Woman to gather and spend an evening together.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
Like most news about the internet, Facebook and twitter, the so called "outrage" is usually a couple of people shaking fists.

"Men" are not outraged. That guy is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stuart
United States
Los Alamos
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KrazyIrish89 wrote:
dkearns wrote:
Fucking snowflakes.

It's a film about Wonder Woman, for heaven's sake! Why would a man want to see that, anyway? cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Given: Everything is on a bell curve.

Data: 1 male poster and 91 likes.

Conclusion: The number of males upset by this are probably 3rd standard deviation or even 4th standard deviation.

That's about the number of people who would turn you down if you tried to give them a 20 dollar bill.

#NOTALLMALES

#BUTTHERESONEINEVERYCROWD
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bob_santafe wrote:
KrazyIrish89 wrote:
dkearns wrote:
Fucking snowflakes.

It's a film about Wonder Woman, for heaven's sake! Why would a man want to see that, anyway? cool

It might be the first good DCU film.

The music sounds good and it *actually* looks like it might have a little humor. Seriuosly-- DCU needs to get rid of Zack. He's single handedly destroying their universe by making everything like Millars dystopic, "the dark knight returns".

I'm not the only one with this opinion

https://moviepilot.com/posts/3896982

Quote:

Zack Snyder Corp. is so unique it has managed to not only produce nasty villains, but to single-handedly convert the good guys into tortured, murdering shades of grey. The director has produced some really messed up versions of the usually immaculately behaved on-screen superheroes.

In Man of Steel, Superman breaks Zod's neck, killing him on screen with a twist and a crack. In Batman v Superman Bruce Wayne is so blinded with rage he almost murders his fellow vigilante.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vic Lineal
Spain
Barcelona
flag msg tools
Nope. Nope nope nope nope.
mb
KrazyIrish89 wrote:

The only reason to really start worrying is if we start seeing a big trend over the next 10 to 20 years of black only, hispanic only, white only, etc. events. Since we are certainly not there today I think it is silly to be upset over this.

I hope we do. It'd be nice for these groups to have spaces to talk about themselves and their experiences without having to constantly explain, justify and teach every other person with severe whataboutism that they do want and deserve to have that conversation. These spaces are a tiny minority and a much needed respite from what they face outside.

Until these spaces become the norm, other spaces are the ones that are few and far apart, and they start arresting and lynching those who don't comply, which is what whites have been doing, there's nothing to worry about. And since that's definitely not happenning, I'm not concerned.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
A) if there was a men only screening of a movie and women were boycotting it or something, this forum's reaction would be very different. Just...admit it. Accept it. It is what it is. I don't even conpletely disagree.

B) Zach Synder is awesome. Fuck off.

C) This movie is not going to be great anyway (though probably better than any non gotg marvel offering for a while.) and is gonna probably piss plenty of feminists off more than a couple guys who have to go to another theatre to see it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian
United States
Enfield
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
scifiantihero wrote:
A) if there was a men only screening of a movie and women were boycotting it or something, this forum's reaction would be very different. Just...admit it. Accept it. It is what it is. I don't even conpletely disagree.

Has anyone said otherwise? Who are you arguing with?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stuart
United States
Los Alamos
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KrazyIrish89 wrote:
bob_santafe wrote:
KrazyIrish89 wrote:
dkearns wrote:
Fucking snowflakes.

That's kind of sexist .

I know. It's a movie based on a comic book! When it comes to comic books I revert to my seven-year-old persona ("Girls! Yuck!").

Normally I don't react that way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Alleman
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fenners wrote:

I'm surprised they're not getting upset at the gender-free bathrooms in the new Mueller Alamo instead.

They just put one in near us and I noticed the gender free bathrooms. If they keep pissing off the snowflakes, I'll be a lifelong customer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank F
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
IF YOU WANT IT
badge
Please investigate a resource based economy.
mbmbmbmbmb
You can just claim to identify as a woman. I don't know how they would challenge or disprove that.

Reminds me of the Muslim ban. How do you prove someone is Muslim?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Rowls
msg tools
Professional Agitation Consultant... HTTP Error 418 I'm a Teapot!
mbmb
texas where men are upset because they dont get to watch a movie whilst expressing their feminine side and steers are nervous.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Baird
United States
Pflugerville
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
Daddys_Home wrote:

They just put one in near us and I noticed the gender free bathrooms. If they keep pissing off the snowflakes, I'll be a lifelong customer.

It takes a good reason for me to go see a movie elsewhere here in Austin. Yeah, they can do a few PR stunts that are meh, like paying off the guy here in town that sued his date for his AMC ticket cost because she texted, but generally, they show movies I like in an environment I like, with the audience having the right attitude, with good beer & okay food. The change in food quality is THE hot ticket argument about the expansion of Alamo as a brand around Austin.

Their awesome Kids Camp movie series ($1-3 a seat) is getting backed up with a good lookin' rewards scheme too for the kids. Yay.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Baird
United States
Pflugerville
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
LightRider wrote:
You can just claim to identify as a woman. I don't know how they would challenge or disprove that.

They almost certainly wouldn't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Rowls
msg tools
Professional Agitation Consultant... HTTP Error 418 I'm a Teapot!
mbmb
KrazyIrish89 wrote:
dkearns wrote:
Fucking snowflakes.

you want to be the only man in a movie theatre full of women - go watch 50 shades darker.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dkearns wrote:
Fucking snowflakes.

Snowflakes that need maids to don their dresses.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KrazyIrish89 wrote:
dkearns wrote:
Fucking snowflakes.

Life is so unfair... taint' it? Taint... it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.