Hide
5 Posts

A Feast for Odin» Forums » Variants

Subject: Starting from Scratch rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joe O
msg tools
So I was wondering what it would be like to do the whole table of Vikings one turn at a time instead of the last 6 or 7. Elongate the game of course, but also see how it would play. No additional harvests... Only your starting wine until you get to the proper space. Additionally no island flipping until their proper time. The only rule modification was when a mountain is exhausted, it is placed under the stack of mountains not used yet to account for the extra turns. (Don't do more than 2 players)

My girlfriend was apprehensive as she loves the game as is, but was willing to satisfy this curiosity in a 2 player game. The first blank turns were fun but the Puzzle to get the actions right to not take -3 thing penalties was interesting. Also figuring an early strategy to go for to snowball and win was interesting too. I ended up trying to go for an early explore for bonus items. She went heavy pillaging for more initial money and home board goods.

By the time we got to normal game start, she had a small stake on her home board done while I was starting to get bonus goods more. It did end up close but we went through much of the pieces. (She won by about 20). I had 2 islands, 2 longhouses, and a medium house full. She had 3 full sheds and 2 islands full. We both completed our home boards and nearly ran out of runestones.

I enjoyed the sillyness of trying to break the game with only starting one Viking.

Let me know what you think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Grabiner
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would go for Faroe Islands. The bonus orange goods are much more valuable with the lack of harvests, and you could get the sheep earlier.

How about the following solo start?

Round 1: 1 silver, 1 beans.

Feast on mead; have $1, 1 beans.

Round 2: take 2 wood from a mountain; hunt (say you use one wood).

Place fur on home board.

1 income; feast on beans, have $2, 1 beans, 1 game meat.

Round 3: build whaling boat, pay one silver for two fish, explore Faroe Island

Place silver on Faroe, 2 silver on home board.

3 income; feast on fish; have $1, 1 fish, 1 game meat.

Round 4: take 1 ore, 2 silver from a mountain; take 1 stone, upgrade game meat to skin-and-bones; craft stone to runestone and 1 silver; use ore to play one occupation and take 1 silver (or, if the occupation isn't good, take a silver and another occupation).

Place 2 silver, skin-and-bones, runestone on Faroe, getting 2 income and peas bonus.

4 income+peas; feast on fish and one silver; have $7, 1 peas, and an occupation.

Round 5: Take advantage of the occupation, whatever it is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Feathers
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This does sound like a silly and fun exercise. The feasts get difficult early, but if you can manage some development on an exploration board or home board in that time it should really boost your score by a lot.

As David just demonstrated in solo it probably allows for a crazy high score as you can build up quite a bit in those early rounds so by the time you're starting the game you're in a really strong spot already. I do wonder just how high of scores you could hit.

Overall it is an interesting thought. I don't think it is something I'd ever want to play though.

Oh and how do you cost emigrations in this set up? I'm assuming they just all cost 1 until you get to the "real" rounds.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Grabiner
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm actually wondering whether it would be better to deliberately take a Thing Penalty on the first round, in order to get going with other tasks faster.

Turn 1: take 2 wood.

Take Thing Penalty instead of feast. Have 1 mead.

Turn 2: Hunt (say using 1 wood). Take 1 stone, upgrade game meat to skin-and-bones.

Place skin-and-bones on home board.

Income $2. Feast on mead. Have $2, hide.

Turn 3: Build whaling boat. Explore Faroe Islands, Pay $1 for two fish.

Place $1 on Faroe Islands before income phase, $1 and hide after.

Income $3+peas. Feast on fish. Have $2, peas.

Turn 4: Take 2 wood. Go whaling (say using no wood).

After income phase, place oil and $3 on home board to get mead.

Income $3+peas+mead. Feast on fish and peas. Have $2, skin-and-bones, whale meat, peas, mead.

Turn 5: Take 2 stone, 1 ore, and upgrade whale meat to robe. Craft 2 wood and 2 stone to 2 runestones and 2 chests.

There are now lots of ways to get bonuses on Faroe, placing either the robe or the skin-and-bones in the middle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Feathers
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I do think that taking a few thing penalties may emerge as a valid strategy in this scenario. -3 points isn't that bad if you can get an engine running sooner.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.