Hide
8 Posts

Tide of Iron: Next Wave» Forums » General

Subject: Weight complexity rating rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gabriel Mello
msg tools
This game looks really intriguing and from the video reviews and play troughs it doesn't seem too complicated but the 3.57 weight complexity rating is holding me back from acquiring the game. I sold Merchants & Marauders because it was too fiddly and I had to reference the rule book too often for my liking (I don't get to play my games very often)and it's rated less complex. I just got into Memoir 44 and really enjoy playing it with it's simple game mechanic. Can anyone chime in on how much more complex Tide of Iron is compared to Memoir 44 from their own experience(not tactically but based on rules and flow)? Do most people feel Tide of Iron is a Medium Heavy game? If so, is there anything similar but closer to a 3 on the complexity scale? Any input would be appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
Thailand
Bangkok
Bangkok
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I play both M44 (Memoir 44) and TOI (Tide of Iron). I prefer TOI, but TOI is a bit more in-depth than M44. However, I do not think TOI is a complex game. I would give it a medium level, but it depends on what you compare it too. Against a game as simple as M44, its a bit more complex. Against a game as complex as Advanced Squad Leader, its very much less complex.

One of the best things you can do is download the rules for free and have a look at the game through the rule book. From there you might be able to determine if its a game for you, or not.

http://1agames.com/tide-of-iron-next-wave-downloads/

Start by taking a look at the "Introductory Scenarios - Read First" booklet. This will give you a good example of game play and its only a few pages.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
robert tunstall
Canada
Guelph
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
TOI will seem complex at the start. It has a lot of moving parts in a round. However, most are second nature after a play through or two. The way the new rules are laid out, this is made easier for you.

Ideally, you want to play before you buy if you can. After a couple of play throughs, you should have an idea if you like it or not. I find it is much more solitaire friendly than M'44 and less luck based.

Good luck with deciding.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Mello
msg tools
Thanks for the tips. I was hoping there was less luck vs Memoir 44 and knowing that has nudged me closer to pulling the trigger (no pun intended). Do you guys feel the 3.57 weight is accurate?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
robert tunstall
Canada
Guelph
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
it is a very loose rating system.

1 would be risk/monopoly/etc

2 would be Memoir '44 and most C&C games/early SPI games

3 low end would be TOI/late 70's war-games

3 high end would be block war-games/most games with 12 pages of rules or less

4 would cover most late 90's to present war-games.

5 would be ASL/La Bataille/ games with 32+ pages of rules

It really depends on what you find complex. I play La Bataille so this is a low end 3 rating for me/ maybe even a high 2. M'44 is a 1.

Time is also a factor. The scenarios play faster than a typical war-game and give you more of a WWII feel than say M'44 but less than a WWII war-game.

Post what games you like and we can better slot TOI into your list for you

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Aw, crap; gonna be sore in the morning...
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, game weighting is a loose generalization. Always good to read the rules first and of course play before you buy whenever possible.

You have traveled a short distance from the base of Mount Wargames but the more difficult ascent has yet to begin. The next waypoint from base camp Memoir is TOI.

A more comfortable journey for complexity would be to stay with what you already know and remain for a while within the commands and colors continuum of complexity:

Have you played Memoir Overlord yet? Playing Memoir on a triple size area with up to eight players provides great 'co-opetition', producing equally loud and simultaneous groans and cheers that always entertain.

Other neighboring waypoints on the journey around Memoir and TOI would be Battle Cry, Samurai Battles, C&C Ancients, C&C Napoleonics. All solid games imo. Cheers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Mello
msg tools
I appreciate everyone's input. Based on the info provided, I've decided to give it a try. The gameplay does seem a little involved but on the other hand logical. With the great looking maps and components, I'm sure I'll want to find the time to pick up all the intricacies of the game. Thanks again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
robert tunstall
Canada
Guelph
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
good stuff, you will be surprised at how logical it all is. the new rules layout and intro scenarios really help ease you into it.

FF just reprinted Days of the Fox, although they are not promoting it, so if you like the base game, definitely grab that expansion next.

PS: squad building is the real tough part of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.