Popular Tags: [View All]
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Am really, really sorry for the untimely post as I just discovered this game right now, with about 7 hours remaining in its Kickstarter campaign... has anyone looked into Commands & Colors Tricorne: The American Revolution?

It's a Richard Borg C&C design, yet has only 250 backers. Am a little surprised. Of all the Revolutionary War communities here on BGG, I reasoned that the HtL forum is a good place to seek others who may have knowledge of this game.

Am heading to bed now... I gotta sleep on this $80 purchase and will make up my mind when I wake in six hours - with about 30 mins to spare. But first, I'll check here to see if perhaps a few of you know of the game and may offer an opinion.

As far as I'm concerned, adding any Revolutionary War game to the collection is a good thing... but with dwindling shelf space and a dwindling budget... gotta draw the line someplace!

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Minot
North Dakota
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It has already been available for pre-order for several months. Many, including myself, just pre-ordered it from the publisher's site. The KS is more additional advertising (maybe they did not get enough pre-orders, otherwise?) than anything else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Puig
Spain
Tarragona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I understand the KS wasn t enough interesting to pledge: rewards, adds on, etc. But sure much more people is going to buy it when it arrives to the retailers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
NimitsTexan wrote:
It has already been available for pre-order for several months. Many, including myself, just pre-ordered it from the publisher's site. The KS is more additional advertising (maybe they did not get enough pre-orders, otherwise?) than anything else.

Thanks for that... it helps!

BTW, the pre-order price is showing on CG' website as $99. The KS price is $80. Though of course, they won't let you pre-order from the website while the KS campaign is going on, so the $99 could be there for some other reason.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Minot
North Dakota
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When I pre-ordered it, I think it was less. The KS is now the discounted price, evidently.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Stansel
United States
Lexington
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mb
I am going to wait for retail. Already backing several kickstarters so I am trying to exercise some self-discipline.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duane Fields
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They raised the price to preorder once people complained that there was no good reason to back the KS. There's no way that game will retail for $100.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
StevenE Smooth Sailing...
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As far as gameplay goes I am sure Tricorn will be excellent... comparing box content to its C&C siblings, Tricorne thus far does not appear to be as robust.

Compass Games showed its KS freshman colors by only offering one stretch goal of two additional scenarios... and the first update made it clear CG did not understand the power or potential of KS. Opportunity lost, experience gained (3rd update)...

That said I did back the KS and am happy the project is funded.

July-August delivery date? Is this still realistic?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Long
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
confused....what's the difference between this and Worthington's HOLD THE LINE (looks like blocks vs. mini's...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Groves
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
El Supremo wrote:
confused....what's the difference between this and Worthington's HOLD THE LINE (looks like blocks vs. mini's...)

Hi Dan

Tricorne promises to be a more sophisticated version of The American War of independence. For a start the terrain includes roads that will give movement bonuses. There are more leaders per battle. There are far more different unit types than the Worthington offering and I believe that these will be enhanced further when the first expansion is launched such as heavy, siege artillery and the introduction of the French Indian wars and French army.

There is talk that the system may be expanded into other wars that took place in the 18th CENTURY.

Finally, the command systems are very different and Tricorne will use one command card deck to order units plus a tailored tactician deck for each army to enhance the command deck and add to the fog of war.

I hope this helps. Dave
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
StevenE Smooth Sailing...
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
El Supremo wrote:

Hold the Line uses action points to manage your army. You never have quite enough points but can move your focus to a specific area as needed.

In Tricorne (as in all C&C games) the board is broken into three zones, left-center-right. You will use command card to activate units in a specific zone. The command deck also contains cards that allow you to order units of a specific type anywhere on the board, or x number of units... but you have to have the card. There is the potential to not being able to order your units exactly when desired.

Both games use dice to resolve combat.

Both systems play very well.
I think C&C offers a richer experience... YMMV

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Minot
North Dakota
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
StevenE wrote:

Compass Games showed its KS freshman colors by only offering one stretch goal of two additional scenarios... and the first update made it clear CG did not understand the power or potential of KS. Opportunity lost, experience gained (3rd update)...

Wait a minute, they added extra scenarios tot he KS project? So does this mean I missed out on the scenarios because I pre-ordered it this past summer, before the KS started?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Groves
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NimitsTexan wrote:
StevenE wrote:

Wait a minute, they added extra scenarios tot he KS project? So does this mean I missed out on the scenarios because I pre-ordered it this past summer, before the KS started?

Hi Nimits

I believe that they will honour the stretch goal for all buyers going through Compass so you should receive the additional scenarios.

All the best

Dave

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Long
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the reply- yes helpful...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Yeah, if they abide by customary Kickstarter lingo, a "stretch goal" is an element added to every production copy of the game, no matter how its distributed.

Versus a "Kickstarter exclusive", which is an element that's included only with copies destined for Kickstarter backers, as a "Thank you", or a "return on their investment".

Aside, while I agree that CG is demonstrating their "freshman colors", as StevenE wrote above, it begs the question if any of the developers have ever backed a KS project in the past 18 months? Surely if they had, they would learn what it takes to conduct a successful campaign simply by participating in the process as a backer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Groves
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For the record.

Tricorne is now available to buy and although expensive it is excellent, with a capital E.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.