Cry Havoc» Forums » Rules

Subject: Game shortening with v1.1 of the rules rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert Davey
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just got this and I've read through the rules a couple of times. Under the events section, it states that moving the event marker and therefore shortening the game is an expert variant. Have people played it without this variant and how was it?

Also, under end game scoring it states that You can still stack the event tokens if someone's score passes on, without stating that it's a variant. Is that an oversight?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Gallo
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ExplodingSnail wrote:
Under the events section, it states that moving the event marker and therefore shortening the game is an expert variant.

Where do you see it say that it is an expert variant?

Page 6 under events says...

Rulebook wrote:
A. Resolve Events(s)

Reveal the next stack of unrevealed Event token(s) and immediately resolve them, one at a time, from top to bottom. Note that on the first turn of the game this stack will just consist of the Event on the first Event Spot on the Score track. However, if a player’s Score token passes any unresolved Event tokens on the track, the passed Event tokens are immediately stacked on top of the next unresolved Event token on the track. In this way it is possible on later turns that there will be more than one Event token on the same spot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Davey
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Page 6 of the rules, under events.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Gallo
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My copy of the rule book and the copies of the rulebook here on BGG and at Portal's website don't have that listed as a variant. That said, the description of the rulebook here on BGG lists it as "v1.0". So its likely that they updated this for your rulebook, which you say is "v1.1" (It would be nice if Portal's website had the must updated rulebook...)

That said, I feel that the game shortening rule is an unpopular one so its likely that they changed it to be a variant in their latest update to the rules, so that explains the differences. But to answer your questions...

ExplodingSnail wrote:
Have people played it without this variant and how was it?

Haven't played it without the "variant" and I suspect most people haven't either. I hope someone can chime in with their experiences as I'd like to hear how it went also.

ExplodingSnail wrote:
Also, under end game scoring it states that You can still stack the event tokens if someone's score passes on, without stating that it's a variant. Is that an oversight?

Its likely an oversight in that they changed the section on how event tokens work, but didn't change this section to match the updated one. If you're not playing with the variant that moves the event makers, there isn't a way to stack them so you can ignore that section.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RyuSora
Brazil
Sao Paulo
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ExplodingSnail wrote:

Page 6 of the rules, under events.

lol this is extremely new stuff, a rule became a variant in this new rulebook... I actually do not like the 'variant', it is pretty annoying to explain and to have the game shortened IMO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robski Horus
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone buying a new copy as I have, will probably have v1.1 as I do. The rules make no mention of passing tokens and shortening the game. This is now optional for advanced and experienced players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznań
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
spiral out
badge
keep going
mbmbmbmbmb
Any other changes? Is PDF of these new rules available somewhere?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Boatman
United States
New Iberia
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, making this event tokens rule a variant, does that mean the event tokens don't move down when the score passes them and you just do one a round?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Rodiek
United States
Redwood City
CA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pathosis wrote:
So, making this event tokens rule a variant, does that mean the event tokens don't move down when the score passes them and you just do one a round?

I think so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Boatman
United States
New Iberia
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool. I shall give it a try. Did you know about the new change?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Rodiek
United States
Redwood City
CA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pathosis wrote:
Cool. I shall give it a try. Did you know about the new change?

I learned from folks posting images in the forums. I knew the variant rule had some mixed opinions from Portal and me (which is part of why it's being changed in the expansion).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Boatman
United States
New Iberia
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I heard about the change in the expansion. I can't wait to get a copy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Rodiek
United States
Redwood City
CA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pathosis wrote:
Yeah, I heard about the change in the expansion. I can't wait to get a copy!

Gonna be great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Banks
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
ExplodingSnail wrote:
Under the events section, it states that moving the event marker and therefore shortening the game is an expert variant. Have people played it without this variant and how was it?

I've played the game 4 times (3x 4 player, 1x 3 player) and only played the game without the 'expert variant'. Not sure which rules came in my game, but this was just based on comments and research I'd done before purchasing.

In a 4 player game I think if we had played with the 'expert variant' the Trogs would have won every time - they amass so many points early that the games would have been 1-2 turns shorter. In all our games the Trogs have been 20-30 points ahead after a couple of rounds, and I'm pretty sure there wasn't anything people could've done to stop it.

However the Trogs haven't finished above 3rd in any of our games!

On the last 2 rounds (particularly round 5) they are massively squeezed, and always score the fewest points in final scoring. By then normally the Machine's have built up a wall of death and own all the best spots, the humans have caught up points wise by getting their bonus-points every turn, and the Pilgrims gain mega points from all the crystals they've farmed.

So I can't speak to how well the game plays with the 'expert variant', but without it I'd say it gives the edge to the Pilgrims and makes it really tough for the Trogs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben H
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmb
Is the 1.1 version of the rule book online anywhere? Does anyone know if any rules were altered besides this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Rodiek
United States
Redwood City
CA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BenH1979 wrote:
Is the 1.1 version of the rule book online anywhere? Does anyone know if any rules were altered besides this?

To my knowledge it is not online anywhere. I don't have a version of it myself, so I unfortunately cannot scan and provide.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.