Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Bohnenberger
United States
Swarthmore
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We played our first game last night, and after we each grabbed all the "easy" goals, it boiled down to Mercury Lander to determine the winner.

Of course we are still inept at mission planning, but without Ion Thrusters we couldn't figure a way to get there that didn't involve first getting a pair of Soyuz rockets into Earth Orbit.

So, with a race on, we both hunkered down to trying to figure out how to get there fastest with Ion thrusters. The chart is easy enough to use for a single thruster, but since it was a race, we tried to figure out how to cut time using multiple thrusters - it was fun, but kind of ugly, to tell the truth. Is there any easy way to do this?

The main issue with Mercury seems to be that 5-difficulty maneuver to get from Inner Planets Transfer to Mercury Flyby. Ultimately I made it, after an 8-year mission ... :O

We were wondering if maybe we might have been better off leaving out the Mercury stuff for game one. Any thoughts?

To save time, I decided to lift off and THEN research and test landing. I also tested my Juno rockets on the way. Legal or cheesy? Both? There was plenty of time to make both perfect, so after his dual-thruster contraption blew up on launch we just skipped ahead to see if Mercury was a deathtrap (we didn't look at the back of any cards before play). I won!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Gastonguay
United States
Pottstown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Act Three! Everybody Dies!
mb
You'll have to do that hard stuff eventually, I don't think you need to leave it out, but in the first few games, getting to Mercury or Mars will indeed be difficult for everybody. But that's the fun of the game.

And researching landing/your rockets in use whilst flying is indeed not cheesy! In fact, that's one of the best ways of doing it quickly!

Sure, don't tell your astronauts that....

"Congratulations Mr. Armstrong, we now know how to get you onto the Moon!"
"Roger, Houston. Um. You mean you didn't before?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curtis Aikens
Canada
St Albert
AB
flag msg tools
But wouldn't that violate the spirit a bit? I mean, I envision research as including both procedural as well as technological advancements. Excepting software, you can't technologically advance systems on something in an 8-year transit.

Just doesn't seem right to me (although it would definitely make things easier).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Gastonguay
United States
Pottstown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Act Three! Everybody Dies!
mb
I can certainly see that argument. But it could also be argued that removing a "Minor failure" card is the equivilant of an engineer noticing that hydrogen bubbles could form in the cooling system and if the pilot vents it for 3 seconds every 48 hours the bubbles won't form because they MAY cause the heating system to shut down if the bubbles move to some important system (unlikely but possible). So that doesn't require new software or anything, just an astronaut to hit a button every once and a while.

Other advances can be a different angle of attack on an atmosphere that is shown to be safer even if it's technically faster (less vibrations across the heat shield or some such) or jamming a wrench in the door to keep it closed.

I figure the problems can be incredibly abstract. If it were a more realistic system, there should be about 1.5 million outcome cards with a variable amount of failure cards in them and you have to put 50 or so on each upgrade. But that would only be fun for....

Well, probably a lot of people who play this game, actually.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juan Valdez
msg tools
CthulhuKid wrote:
If it were a more realistic system, there should be about 1.5 million outcome cards with a variable amount of failure cards in them and you have to put 50 or so on each upgrade. But that would only be fun for....

me, definitely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Scheiderich
United States
Liverpool
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Leaving failure questions aside, I find Mercury interesting. One is that there is a 50% chance that a sample is worth $50. However, it is the VPs that would drive a desire to go there.

Our last game had the Reveal Mercury and Mercury Lander missions. 20VP total. I went but rushed it. I left aside the sample return aspect as I thought another player might get the jump on the missions. So, as it turned out, no one else went and I left out the Juno that could have lifted off 1 mass sample to my waiting Ion's...and Mercury had the $50 jackpot!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.