Subject: Another "Race" we may lose. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andre
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.cnn.com/2016/12/28/asia/china-space-program-white...

China seems willing to make the investment that may indeed bring them to the forefront in the space race. The race to the moon during the Cold War was for bragging rights. The race to the next planet may be more about finding another planet on which Earthlings can live.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam I am
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
What did I tell you...
badge
NO PICKLE!
mb
The US will balk, delay, heme and haw, then plunge in with a vengeance. Unlike the moon, the race will be over by then and we will have lost. Think of it on the bright side the 1% got their taxes cut.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rcbevco wrote:
The US will balk, delay, heme and haw, then plunge in with a vengeance. Unlike the moon, the race will be over by then and we will have lost. Think of it on the bright side the 1% got their taxes cut.

Do they mine luxury Range Rovers on this hypothetical planet? Botox reserves? Fake Titties?

If no, then why the fuck?

Fer science? Whoneedsthatshit?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
Good luck to them. Putting humans in space isn't like getting your feet wet in a wading pool, it's tough and complicated. The US and Russia have dozens and dozens of spaceflights, and they're still working through all the details of trying to put a human on another planet.

That being said, the unwillingness of Congress to adequately fund NASA is a bipartisan disaster. The spin-offs from the research done alone is enough to justify the expense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chengkai Yang
United States
Cupertino
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
darthhugo wrote:
rcbevco wrote:

Do they mine luxury Range Rovers on this hypothetical planet? Botox reserves? Fake Titties?

If no, then why the fuck?

Fer science? Whoneedsthatshit?

Well you need more science to achieve a science victory... It's not like we're any closer to constructing a wonder or winning on diplomacy or culture anymore and everyone seems against going for a military victory.

We also keep setting shitty war goals and fail to core out any new provinces and our current leader seems to be your standard game hates you 1-1-1. I kinda think we're better off sitting back until the next DLC push and abandoning trying to go for any meaningful achievements as everything broke this last iteration.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We really can't afford to let china get a lock on the high ground militarily.

As far as colonization tho- if any human being on the planet wants to go for it- then more power to them. We should have been investing half of our military budget on the space program for the last 3 decades.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Fox
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
Question everything
mbmbmbmbmb
There are a lot of negatives as far as human rights go in China, but the Chinese have at least one huge advantage over the US, virtually all of the members of government don't believe in religion.

China's government, which I refuse to simply label "Communism" as it is far more complicated than that, is ran by an elite well educated group with limited interference from the masses. Only time will tell how well it works, but Rome managed to stick around for about 2000 years (although admittedly with a few bad stretches, empire splits, etc). Democracy is just a very early stage experiment at this point. Is it possible for a democracy to function for 2000 years or is the so called "stability" of the modern world due more to our inability to comprehend 1000+ year timeframes? Pax Romana lasted for over 200 years, so we are not even halfway to a similar length of time without major conflicts despite claims by most people that we have created the best form of government in history.

In any case, these are questions for historians to address a few hundred (or thousand) years from now. I suspect that full democracy where everyone has the right to vote is probably less stable than systems where voting is limited to an elite subset as it is in China (and how the US was originally set up, should anyone have forgotten that).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.