BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Religion, Sex, and Politics

Subject: Does Everyone Have a Vice/Addiction? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I was tinkin... Does everyone possess their own vice? A large addiction to them, of course relative to their lives?

So, is an addiction to sorting dinnerware (OCD-like) the biggest thing to one person, although relatively trivial to a heroin addict, but still considered a burden that racks their brain and gives them troubles?

I understand that there are several addiction treatment professionals in RSP, so your opinion would be appreciated.

And in no way is this ? attempting to trivialize addiction, but more asking about how individuals view their addictions which may be relatively difficult for them, albeit trivial on the continuum.

Do they consider these things addictions?

Do humans need an addiction, vice, or albatross? So, is it an imperative to carry these thinga around?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure that an addiction is necessarily a "burden", unless it is taxing to some aspect of life, and taxing in a very negative way. My "addiction" of collecting board games hurts nothing or no one except my pocketbook, but not in a fashion that is negative enough to stop me from collecting, or severely impacting my quality of life, or those around me.

I suspect everyone has a "vice", but I don't necessarily view that "vice" as being bad. The vice must be viewed in terms of how it affects that persons life (or others around them), in a negative fashion. If it doesn't, them more power to them and their vice/addiction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm on bgg and I own 400 board games...I got issues.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stiles
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
Shaman
mbmbmbmbmb
I've always thought everyone had their vice, also their kink.

Addiction is probably too far, it has a pretty specific meaning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
Thailand
flag msg tools
I have a deep addiction.

Without a fix every 3 min. I'm in withdrawal.

I'm addicted to O2. cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
Bitter acerbic harridan
mbmbmbmbmb
We are here, right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Metal Undivided, Chaos For All
mbmbmbmbmb
I come to BGG for my addictions and to RSP for my vices.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
I'm on bgg and I own 400 board games...I got issues.

You do indeed. Only 400?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Woodcock
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No.

Ferret

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Khalid Shabazz
United States
NYC
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Ferretman wrote:
No.

Ferret
Ferretman wrote:
I had 14 ferrets at one point.....that was a lot of ferrets.

Ferret
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Khalid Shabazz
United States
NYC
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I have an internet addiction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank
United States
Van Nuys
California
flag msg tools
99.9999% of people are addicted to behaviors or patterns of thought, whether they're aware of it or not. Being addicted to the idea that your're right is probably the most common

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Woodcock
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
crescent_gamer wrote:
Ferretman wrote:
No.

Ferret
Ferretman wrote:

Ferret

Pets.......neither an addiction or a vice.

Ferret

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Martyn
United States
Guilford
VT
flag msg tools
EXCELSIOR!!!
badge
ZOMGALOMES!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
As one of those addiction professionals:

No.

As stated, addiction is something specific, and serious. We're not talking a strong preference for something, a passion for something, or even the abuse of something; we're talking about something that has hijacked the midbrain to the point where the higher functions of the cortex don't even get a say in behavior. When your need for boardgames ranks up with your need to breathe and eat food -- when your brain is tricked into thinking that it is something you need to survive -- then come talk to me about being addicted to boardgames.

(And when you've finished talking to me, I'll be drafting a paper for publication, because you'd be a pretty remarkable case study.)

We in the field can get a little touchy about the misuse of the term, because it gets thrown around a lot in a way that minimizes the pain caused by the actual disorder. Kind of like how OCD doesn't mean "I prefer to have my bookshelf in alphabetical order," it means something more like, "If my bookshelf isn't in order, I will panic and feel threatened and be unable to leave the house."

It's a fair question, though -- not grumping at the OP!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
the pete wrote:
As one of those addiction professionals:

No.

As stated, addiction is something specific, and serious. We're not talking a strong preference for something, a passion for something, or even the abuse of something; we're talking about something that has hijacked the midbrain to the point where the higher functions of the cortex don't even get a say in behavior. When your need for boardgames ranks up with your need to breathe and eat food -- when your brain is tricked into thinking that it is something you need to survive -- then come talk to me about being addicted to boardgames.

(And when you've finished talking to me, I'll be drafting a paper for publication, because you'd be a pretty remarkable case study.)

We in the field can get a little touchy about the misuse of the term, because it gets thrown around a lot in a way that minimizes the pain caused by the actual disorder. Kind of like how OCD doesn't mean "I prefer to have my bookshelf in alphabetical order," it means something more like, "If my bookshelf isn't in order, I will panic and feel threatened and be unable to leave the house."

It's a fair question, though -- not grumping at the OP!

Pete,

Thank you for the response and the effective, yet nice, point of differentiating the difference between the various degrees of afflictions, and more importantly for educating me about the true term vs the misapplied/misunderstood version of the word addiction.

Like most lay-persons, I didn't know that there was such a bright line, from a professional's POV, between addictions and everything else.

So, an addiction is a behavior that has hijacked the afflicted's ability to differentiate it (the need) from all other basic survival requirements... thus elevating the need for it's satiety with other requirements such as food, sleep, sexual drive, etc.? I know I may have convoluted the explanation with the sleep and sexual drive needs, but I'm just trying to find analogous needs that are powerful in humans, so as the contextualize from my POV the feeling.

So, to refine my question in the OP, does most everyone have a thing they consider a vice? Something that they want to stop, but just can't?

And the key thing here isn't to qualify if this vice is destructive, but more of asking from the POV of the person, if they think of it and say "Damn, I wish I could stop doing that..."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ferretman wrote:
crescent_gamer wrote:
Ferretman wrote:
No.

Ferret
Ferretman wrote:

Ferret

Pets.......neither an addiction or a vice.

Ferret

I have seen plenty of "owners" that had an unhealthy need/vice to own more pets than they should.

So, a houseful of 30 cats... by a woman that barely had income, had to steal or turn tricks (yes, give $25 BJs), to be able to afford food for the cats.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Martyn
United States
Guilford
VT
flag msg tools
EXCELSIOR!!!
badge
ZOMGALOMES!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
darthhugo wrote:

So, an addiction is a behavior that has hijacked the afflicted's ability to differentiate it (the need) from all other basic survival requirements... thus elevating the need for it's satiety with other requirements such as food, sleep, sexual drive, etc.? I know I may have convoluted the explanation with the sleep and sexual drive needs, but I'm just trying to find analogous needs that are powerful in humans, so as the contextualize from my POV the feeling.

Like so many things in psychology, hard-and-fast definitions aren't easy to come by and other professionals might have different answers.

But the model my agency tends to use, and one I've found useful in my work, is the idea that at heart addiction is a stress-induced disease of the midbrain with a strong genetic component. It can be hard to tell if someone is using substances in a way that is reckless and even deadly -- but not addictive -- or if someone is genuinely addicted.

Basically, your midbrain is what assesses your environment for things that affect your survival -- are you seeing something that you can eat, that you need to fight, that you could mate with? It's a more primitive part of the brain and it can override a lot of higher functioning when we're in a potentially dangerous situation.

Put an addict in an MRI, offer them their favorite substance, and the midbrain starts going berserk.

I'll link to the video I often show to people in early recovery below, but since it's an hour long I'd be pleasantly surprised if anyone watches it in its entirety. But here's my favorite part. The doctor presenting this lecture (himself a recovering opioid addict) puts forth a little experiment, first to address the common conception that addiction is a moral failing. If you offer an addict their drug of choice, and then put a gun to their head and tell them that you'll shoot if they use it, the addict won't use the drug. So the argument goes, "Ah, just have to provide sufficient motivation!"

BUT. What a gun to the head doesn't do is stop the addict's midbrain from CRAVING the drug. If anything, it'll make the addict crave even more, because for most addicts, using is a maladaptive response to stress. It's the craving that makes the addiction, and though one can learn skills to manage those cravings or keep them from happening, the midbrain is operating -- defectively -- at a place beyond reason.

If you want to try a fun experiment in dopamine-induced craving, tell yourself that you won't eat any food for the next five days. You'll live through it, but your midbrain will quickly start to scream at you, telling you that you really need to think about eating, that no one will know that you ate that one donut, that this is a stupid experiment anyway and you can quit right now. In essence, we're all addicted to food, we just don't call it an addiction because it's adaptive.

If you try this experiment, or even think about trying it, remember that the dopamine surge from giving the midbrain a substance is potentially much higher than what it will get from food, with a corresponding increase in the intensity of craving. And that doesn't factor in potential physiological withdrawal symptoms like you get with opioids (you'll wish you were dead) or alcohol (can actually straight-up kill you.)

Anyway! Thanks for letting me give a mini-lecture. Here's a link to a much longer one if anyone is curious. Highly, highly recommended if you've ever struggled with addiction or have friends and family who have --especially if you've ever thought, "Why don't they just STOP?"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.