Subject: Possible Southern Circuit travel effects rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Aubrey
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Depending on the era that one plays and the mode of travel (train, bus, airplane) the time spent getting to the next ballpark can be long.

A thought might be to give a team a penalty on their first day they play in a new town. Maybe a negative tweak to team score (p 38 in Final Rules)? But wouldn't this also affect a team coming home after two series on the road? They'd still be traveling. On the other hand they'd have the benefit of being home. (Their bed, their wife, their girlfriend, their etc.)

In talking it over with WM Akers he said: If you use the hot/cold rule for league play, for instance, maybe you could give traveling teams a negative modifier on their first game in a new city when they roll to see if they're hot/cold.

For example, if one is playing in 1909, going from Nashville to Knoxville can take 10h 15m on the day express or 8h 45m on the night express.

I've put together a Google Sheet with these thoughts and the mileage chart. You can comment on the sheet or in this forum.

http://bit.ly/2s4q6UW

Thoughts?
Mark
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ld paulson

Oregon
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mark:

You also have to consider that bus or car would have been the common mode of transportation in 1909, even if there were train service. Interurban rail, yes. Longer distances would have been cost prohibitive.

The exception might be if you had a wealthy team owner with access to or means to hire a rail car.

And when traveling, you would never only have two games on the road! That's why Deadball has a Southern Circuit!

Just some thoughts...

https://sabr.org/research/marathon-game-endless-baseball-its...

http://www.citypages.com/news/for-one-shining-season-in-1909...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Aubrey
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks for the thoughts.

Based on my limited research I don't think that cars and buses would have been the common mode of transportation in 1909. According to the Roanoke Public Library: There were only 8,000 cars and only 144 miles of paved roads in 1909.

According to the Statistics of the American and Foreign Iron Trades (1910) "At the close of 1909 the total mileage of steam railroad track in this country amounted to 343,387 miles"

The Southern Circuit schedule as WM Akers set forth doesn't have a calendar attached but 3 games are played in a series. I originally thought that the games might be played in a one week span. 3 games, travel day, 3 games. I now think that it might be a weekend series, travel, then another weekend series. That would put the 14 series at one a week. Just over 3 months.

I do agree that it is a circuit, but the span from Gettysburg to Talahassee being 946 miles, that's a long way to travel, be it by car, bus or rail.

More research required on my end.

The good thing with variations is one doesn't have to use them.

Mark
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.