Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Oliver Yang
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
I understand that players should have enough cash for the merger bid. However, I'm wondering what is considered "enough?" For example, if my 6-plant company is merging with someone else's 4-plant company, can I bid 100 if I only have 50 since I'd only have to pay 40 out of pocket if I win?

If not, is it just an honor code system to enforce this rule since money is not public information?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-Michel Petit
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hegel325 wrote:
I understand that players should have enough cash for the merger bid. However, I'm wondering what is considered "enough?" For example, if my 6-plant company is merging with someone else's 4-plant company, can I bid 100 if I only have 50 since I'd only have to pay 40 out of pocket if I win?

If not, is it just an honor code system to enforce this rule since money is not public information?

No you can't. You must have the totality of the money to participate in a bid. Even if you own a fraction of that company.

Cheers

Micquebec
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
Make people present their money when they bid. By bidding, they are showing they have that much, so make them show that amount as they bid.

I play with open money and poker chips anyway.

But yeah, to bid 100 you need 100, not 40.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
So it goes.
United States
Shillington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.
badge
"You wouldn't worry half as much about what other people thought of you if you realized how rarely they actually did."
mbmbmbmbmb
hegel325 wrote:

Money is not open information?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
troybowers wrote:
hegel325 wrote:

Money is not open information?

Officially the rules say to decide beforehand if you want open or closed money, but it is trackable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
So it goes.
United States
Shillington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.
badge
"You wouldn't worry half as much about what other people thought of you if you realized how rarely they actually did."
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm always surprised when a game has trackable information that's not open. Someone who has the memory of Rain Man doesn't need help winning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Einmal ist keinmal
United States
Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
You'll Never Walk Alone
mbmbmbmbmb
troybowers wrote:
I'm always surprised when a game has trackable information that's not open. Someone who has the memory of Rain Man doesn't need help winning.

Do you play with such people?

I'm always surprised to read on BGG how some players insist on house ruling this in games that have hidden trackable information (aka Clearclaw syndrome--I kid!). Thankfully, I don't play with any of those folks (I'm not kidding here).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I insist on house ruling it. It's the difference between a good time, and a boring time writing down what everyone has. Why would I want to play that way?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Campeau
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
Brazilian Jiu Jitsu brown belt under Bruno Fernandes.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Desiderata wrote:
troybowers wrote:

I'm always surprised to read on BGG how some players insist on house ruling this in games that have hidden trackable information (aka Clearclaw syndrome--I kid!). Thankfully, I don't play with any of those folks (I'm not kidding here).

Yes, I do. Two of them actually. One of them is a high-functioning autistic person. At any given point in a game of Keyflower, he can announce exactly how many of each colour meeple players have, except the ones they've acquired from blind draw from the bag. We started playing that all meeples that are public info sit in front of the screen instead of behind.

I've not played Indonesia with him, but I can guarantee that he would be able to know how much money everyone had, within 10 rupiah, even if it was hidden.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spencer C
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jythier wrote:
a boring time writing down what everyone has

If you're inclined to write down trackable information, playing with open information doesn't necessarily solve that problem for all games. An open game state won't tell you who did what action when, for example -- which can be important insight into a player's motivations and strategy. Strategic games inherently involve an element of memory, and it strikes me as strangely artificial to say that Type A of having to remember is bad, while Type B is OK.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
UanarchyK wrote:
Jythier wrote:
a boring time writing down what everyone has

If you're inclined to write down trackable information, playing with open information doesn't necessarily solve that problem for all games. An open game state won't tell you who did what action when, for example -- which can be important insight into a player's motivations and strategy. Strategic games inherently involve an element of memory, and it strikes me as strangely artificial to say that Type A of having to remember is bad, while Type B is OK.

Well, if I ask the player they tell me what they did.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snooze Fest
United States
Hillsborough
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
We love our pups!! Misu, RIP 28 Nov 2010. Tikka, RIP 11 Aug 2011.
mbmbmbmbmb
philcampeau wrote:
Desiderata wrote:
troybowers wrote:

Yes, I do. Two of them actually. One of them is a high-functioning autistic person. At any given point in a game of Keyflower, he can announce exactly how many of each colour meeple players have, except the ones they've acquired from blind draw from the bag. We started playing that all meeples that are public info sit in front of the screen instead of behind.

I've not played Indonesia with him, but I can guarantee that he would be able to know how much money everyone had, within 10 rupiah, even if it was hidden.

I have mixed feelings about this. Personally, I don't like trying to memorize everything and prefer playing games without that element. However, one could argue that memory is just another skillset important in some games, just like negotiation and people-skills. I hate the latter, but I don't go around asking people to handicap themselves by announcing their true motivations when they're trying to convince someone of something!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I do. True motivations or bust!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.