Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave Boschen
United States
Santa Cruz
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi can anyone recommend a game that has similar elements to Dogs of War(CMON)? It's my favorite game of all time, and I haven't found anything else quite like it (except blood bowl team manager, but my group won't touch the fantasy sports theme).

Elements I love:

-confrontational but with incentives to attack different opponents throughout the game, shifting alliances

-tug of war mechanic

-packed with important decisions but relatively short (doesn't overstay it's welcome, has a set number of turns)

-"stock values" of houses changes over the game based on player performance

-diceless, card play for combat

-highly if not over produced. Beautiful components (even if the steampunk theme isn't really my thing).

Any recommendations with reasons would be much appreciated. Does anyone else love this game like I do? It's as close to perfection as any game experience I've ever had.

Some other games I love (pretty wide variety):
A Game of Thrones: The Board Game (Second Edition)
Forbidden Stars
Blood Rage
Gold West
7 Wonders Duel
Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective: Jack the Ripper & West End Adventures
Royals
Band of Brothers: Ghost Panzer

Facets I like: minimal luck, maximum meaningful decisions to playtime duration ratio, relatively high player interaction or confrontation, close games with limited rich get richer, nicely produced, elegantly streamlined.

A game I was surprised to not like at all: Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island. Too much overhead for my group (in terms of rules and mechanisms and actual pieces). It felt like the game played us. I love the idea of events being recycled in the deck and causing hazards. I love the theme. I like coop (we enjoy pandemic). But ya, RC was a flop for us. Didn't like the dice, didn't like the number of symbols on the dice and cards. Narrative was great but felt diluted by the time spent moving pieces and accounting. It felt hard to pick a good strategy, and felt more like a slot machine, where you find out only after the fact that you zigged when you should've zagged. A bit too much minutia and not enough control of those minutia. I'm sure most would disagree.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Brocker
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
Omnigamer and Devourer of Games
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Came on here to recommend Team Manager until I saw that didn't work for your group.

A game with similar base mechanisms is Founding Fathers. It's a card driven game where you're trying to get laws passed. Each person can pick a particular side as to whether you are for against a given bill.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Cole
United Kingdom
Cottenham
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
I'f you like Dogs of War I'd recommend :
Cyclades - if you like being sneaky and manipulation your opponents
Inis - clever cardplay with dudes on map
Cosmic Encounter - alliances, bluffing and negotiation
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harv Veerman
Netherlands
Zoetermeer
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Out on a limb here: Quantum.

Oh: it's NOT a dice game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J-F Audy
Canada
Chambly
Qu├ębec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have one game in mind, I, Spy, but it will probably be tough to find!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.