Subject: "Thinky" party games for 6 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
K
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi all,

I love Eurogames but I would like to add a couple of party games into my collection to play with less serious gamers when they come over for a social evening. We are all well past the drinking stage and enjoy games which involve some thought but which are easy to learn. We'd like a play time of 30-60 mins.

At the moment Citadels gets to the table most often. We have also done Codenames, Pandemic, Coup and Skull. Of the ones we have played I like Citadels the best by far, followed by Pandemic then Codenames then Coup.

It seems that a lot of games of this category are bluffing games which I doubt will ever be my thing.

So what would you recommend? Is there a bluffing game we should try? Or what else is there that we might like?

Many thanks in advance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
kgcamb7 wrote:
Hi all,

I love Eurogames but I would like to add a couple of party games into my collection to play with less serious gamers when they come over for a social evening. We are all well past the drinking stage and enjoy games which involve some thought but which are easy to learn. We'd like a play time of 30-60 mins.

At the moment Citadels gets to the table most often. We have also done Codenames, Pandemic, Coup and Skull. Of the ones we have played I like Citadels the best by far, followed by Pandemic then Codenames then Coup.

It seems that a lot of games of this category are bluffing games which I doubt will ever be my thing.

So what would you recommend? Is there a bluffing game we should try? Or what else is there that we might like?

Many thanks in advance.

-BANG!
(30 minutes if you don't overthink it - go in "guns blazing"!)

-BANG! The Dice Game
(much shorter version, without cards)

-Wits & Wagers
(20 minutes; don't get the "family" or "party" version, since those remove the "wagers" element that makes the game so interesting)

-River Dragons
(30 minutes; has a small dexterity element. I've had some great, hilarious games of this one)

-Duplik
(45 minutes; drawing but you don't have to be talented)

-Eat Poop You Cat
(20 minutes; also drawing but also no talent necessary)

-Detroit-Cleveland Grand Prix
(a little longer, 60 minutes, but a good one)

-Pit
(play with the "spoon" variant, and also give points for coming within 1 or 2 cards, to speed up play)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Thompson
United States
Homewood
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Codenames

It is thinky in a unique way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harv Veerman
Netherlands
Zoetermeer
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hoity Toity would be nice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Dienz
United States
Shelburne
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It sounds what you are looking for is not necessarily a "party" game but a game with less rules and relatively short playing time that accommodates 6. You can try:

Cloud 9: a simple 'push-your-luck' game.
Tsuro: a quick tile-laying game
Bohnanza: a set-collection game with lots of trading
Fearsome Floors: Trapped in a dungeon you try to avoid the monster. There is actually very little luck in this game despite the theme.
Las Vegas: an easy dice-roller
King of Tokyo: a dice-rolling 'combat'-type of game. Not really "thinky" but fun. However, works better with less players, IMHO.
For Sale: a bidding game
Jamaica: a pirate-themed race game; with 6 may take a bit longer than 60 min though.
Camel Cup: a race and bidding game that goes up to 8 players.
Flash Point: Fire Rescue: a cooperative game about rescuing people from a burning building
Dixit or Mysterium: Storytelling games somewhat similar to Codenames. The latter is cooperative.
Junk Art: a building/dexterity game

And if you do not exclude bluffing completely Cockroach Poker is a 'mean' little game that is explained in 2 min. I would also take a hard look at Cash 'n Guns.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lithuania
Vilnius/London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A light and quick bluffing game you might want to try is Liar's Dice. It's decently strategic.

Plays up to 6 in about 30 mins!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Anderson
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just lost wrote:
A light and quick bluffing game you might want to try is Liar's Dice. It's decently strategic.

Plays up to 6 in about 30 mins!
In a somewhat similar vein, I've played in groups that loved Skull & Roses.

Also, I haven't tried Love Letter Premium which expanded the player count, but the original Love Letter scratched that itch for me with up to 4 players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wolkey
United States
Spokane Valley
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
These are my tried and true party games for 6 players.

25 Words or Less
Dixit
Time's Up!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cory Meade
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'd suggest Concept. Ultimately, it depends on how you define "thinky," but it's really great. I suggest not playing for points, which may be a deal breaker, if you're trying to stay true to your Euro roots.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Williams
msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Mysterium is our go to game in similar situations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
cormed9 wrote:
I'd suggest Concept. Ultimately, it depends on how you define "thinky," but it's really great. I suggest not playing for points, which may be a deal breaker, if you're trying to stay true to your Euro roots.

Great one! Concept is such a fun game.
And agreed that there's really no need to play for points, just go around the table a couple times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
El Dorito
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
Search your feelings, you know it to be true.
badge
Search your feelings, you know it to be true.
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Concept
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
McLean
Virginia
flag msg tools
Maybe less Party-y and more Trivia-y, but America might be worth a look. Not sure how it is with six, but I like it a lot with four.

+1 Detroit-Cleveland Grand Prix

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Fost
Canada
Oshawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll throw in Things..., it's a game that brings out player creativity, not so thinky maybe but usually laughter ensues. With a good group, this will surely be a hit.

Great party game, highly recommended.

Take care,
Douglas Fost

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks all. Lots to investigate and Concept, Jamaica, Love Letter and Mysterium each have a lot of immediate appeal. I think the person who said I was not looking for a true party game nailed it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien K
Japan
Kyoto
flag msg tools
In the same vein as BANG! The Dice Game, Ca$h 'n Guns (Second Edition) is a great little gem of a game. Do you really believe this (fake, foam) gun pointed at you is loaded? Yes? No? You could regret your decision you know !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.