Popular Tags: [View All]
Trogdor The Burninator
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

So I showed up late to the Imperial Assault party and have just accumulated several expansions without playing much of the core game yet.

My question: In your opinion, is it more enjoyable to incorporate some of the large expansions (Twin Shadows, Hoth, Bespin, etc) into side missions of the Main Campaign, OR play the expansions separately as Mini Campaigns?
My basic goal is to maximize the fun factor and keep everyone hooked to play more.

I'm the Imperial player, and thus far have only played the first mission: Aftermath. Have also played a few Skirmish Missions while waiting for another gaming day with the group. I have added several of the smaller first-wave expansions (Han Solo, IG-88, Royal Guard Champion etc), in accordance with the limitations of the Agenda Deck, and then plan to play the mini campaigns separately.

How does the game accommodate for Hero's experience levels when starting a mini campaign?

EDIT: Grammar correction
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rico P
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Whenever you start a new "campaign", be it a full-length (ex. Core, Hoth, Jabba) or a mini-campaign (ex. TS, Bespin), all heroes + Imp start fresh with no xp/credit/influence. Mini-campaign have a one-shot reward structure before you start playing mission #1 and pretty much all rewards are tripled

If your group haven't played a full-length campaign yet, I'd recommend the 2nd approach "play the expansions separately as Mini Campaign"

Mini-campaigns are a lot shorter (4 missions vs. full-length's ~11 missions), so I'd say mistakes in builds are more easily forgiven

Messed up your xp/weapon purchases in mini-campaign? No problem we'll start another mini-campaign, only 3 more missions to go

If you mess up your purchases in a full-campaign...then unless Imp is being nice & houserule stuff there's no going back

edit to add: Remember I said all rewards are tripled? so in mini-campaign you can buy those good stuff much faster (3xp, $1200 per mini-campaign mission vs. 1xp, $400 per full-length mission)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trogdor The Burninator
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Mini-campaigns are a lot shorter (4 missions vs. full-length's ~11 missions), so I'd say mistakes in builds are more easily forgiven

Ok thanks Rico, great advice. Since there's 2 new rebel players in the group, I'll probably just start them off fresh in the Twin Shadows mini campaign. This sounds like the best way for everyone to learn the game. Also a good test for the group to see if they'd be interested to play the core campaign afterwards. Can't fathom why they wouldn't, but there's no dice roll for "good taste" cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.