1 Posts

Thurn and Taxis: Power and Glory» Forums » Sessions

Subject: A quick game with short routes rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Lebak
United States
flag msg tools
My wife and I sat down with our son to play this game on July 4th. My wife had won the two previous sessions of this game, despite protests that she didn't know how to play. Would she be able to keep her unblemished record? Read on to find out!

During the game, we all focused on short routes. We used up all the five and six route bonuses, but no one scored a seven or eight length route. Lots of regional bonuses got scored though. We were all very even on houses all the way through. Rarely did anyone administrate until the last few turns, when we were all administrating to try to get the one or two remaining cities that we needed. Other people have pointed out this particular issue with the game too, and this was the first time that I really felt like we were forced into it.

During the last several turns we all had two remaining houses and each were left with widely separated cities to try to finish our route. I had a route in front of me that would finish the game but needed to play horses to score it. My wife, who was the last player, had two cities in her route but needed to play a city that she didn't have and a horse card to finish her route. She drew the top card off the deck for horses, and it turned out to be Bremen, the one city that could give her a valid route and allow her to score her route. She played Bremen and a horse to go out and leave the rest of us hanging.

I won the game with 18 points to my son's 13 and my wife's 10. If my son had been allowed to score his final route, he would have collected the second bonus for all provinces plus two more points for placing houses, for a total of 20. The final score, though, didn't reflect the tension in the game as we all competed to get rid of our houses first. This was the first game with the expansion where I felt we came close to the sense of racing that I recall from the base game. It does feel like the expansion takes longer to play, and as I said we did come to a point where we all felt forced to administrate. However, in the base game I've always felt forced to keep up the sequence of increasingly longer routes, and I have found it refreshing to have other options in this set. I think we might be able to remove the need for the 'forced administration' at the end by administrating early to get longer routes, and I'll try this in the next couple games.
 Thumb up
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.