14 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Complaint Department

Subject: ELO Darkness ad. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bruce
msg tools
badge
Please remove the ad of the basically naked woman from your rotation.

Taste aside, it is not something I want my children to see on what should be a family friendly page.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anna F.
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kudos to you for asking, though I doubt it will happen. There was a discussion about this on the BGG facebook page and the whole comment thread turned incredibly sexist in about 10 seconds.

"Thanks for telling me"
"If you're offended then stay off the internet"
"How is that offensive, you're too sensitive"

And other wretched things that are miserable to read.

The BGG admins basically said that they did not feel it was offensive and just to wait it out because the ad campaign would be over in 2 weeks anyway.

There is a huge issue with objectification in MANY of the kickstarter ads though, before it was the poor elo darkness girl, there was some ad for a tavern game with another inappropriate and sexist characterization. And it will be something else in two weeks.

I'm not sure if anyone from the kickstarter designers on down to the BGG admins are aware of what kind of message that is sending to women, but it is a problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce
msg tools
badge
Personally I think kickstarter ads can do whatever they like (though I would like to think it wouldn't work for them). The place that hurts the most from this is BGG itself.

The content displayed here is BGG curated and anything like this reflects badly, in the same way as ads with "You won't believe this amazing headline" immediately let you know that a new site is pure rubbish.

Is that the image BGG wants? It is really worth it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Buy ad block.

BGG can probably handle the outrage over some random ad that shows a scantily clad woman. I'm guessing you are less upset over the sexist depiction, but rather the amount of skin shown?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce
msg tools
badge
Windopaene wrote:
Buy ad block.

BGG can probably handle the outrage over some random ad that shows a scantily clad woman. I'm guessing you are less upset over the sexist depiction, but rather the amount of skin shown?

Well it is both, but the sexism isn't the problem of BGG, the trashy image is. The unprofessional and unfriendly tone to me is a business mistake, doubly so if the solution is adblock.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olli Juhala
Finland
Turku
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BruceLGL wrote:

Well it is both, but the sexism isn't the problem of BGG, the trashy image is. The unprofessional and unfriendly tone to me is a business mistake, doubly so if the solution is adblock.

I kinda concur here, with the caveat that sexism is BGG's problem too, if they allow sexist ads.

But you may well get better results contacting an admin directly. I can't remember who is in charge of the ads, though.

What BGG could really use is a "Report ad" button and procedure - I mean ostensibly the site is supposed to be friendly to both work envirements and family.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
I can feel bits of my brain falling away like wet cake.
mbmbmbmb
I don't know what this one looks like, but BGG has removed several similar-sounding ads in the past.

Contact
Chaddyboy
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Hello.
badge
Welcome to my secret message.
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anna F.
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BruceLGL wrote:
Personally I think kickstarter ads can do whatever they like (though I would like to think it wouldn't work for them). The place that hurts the most from this is BGG itself.

The content displayed here is BGG curated and anything like this reflects badly, in the same way as ads with "You won't believe this amazing headline" immediately let you know that a new site is pure rubbish.

Is that the image BGG wants? It is really worth it?

I concur to a point, if a kickstarter designer wants to advertise their attitude towards women, so be it.

What I was more disturbed by was how toxic the Facebook community response was, and how the bgg admins didn't care.

So sexism in the gaming world doesn't seem to be going anywhere soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Waller
United States
Peachtree City
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FYI: this project was cancelled by the developers earlier today. ads should go away as a result.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Nolan
Ireland
Dublin
flag msg tools
mb
Presumably the ad in question is the one that featured the girl from the card on the right in the image below.

Personally I think the OP is overreacting, but they are of course entitled to complain. I don't envy the admins having to deal with issues like this.

I had to go to their (now cancelled) Kickstarter page to find that and this is by far the most racy art they have. The art in general is in no way "sex sells".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Schlickbernd
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BruceLGL wrote:
Please remove the ad of the basically naked woman from your rotation.

Taste aside, it is not something I want my children to see on what should be a family friendly page.

Note that BGG's Terms of Service specifically tell you that you have to be 13 or over to view the site. Now that may not excuse what you see, but the site is not for non-teen children.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce
msg tools
badge
Hivemind wrote:
I don't envy the admins having to deal with issues like this.

What is the issue? The only reason not to remove ads that some people may to or that degrades your branding is that you might affect your revenue. This is a business decision, and not taking it sends the message too. It is even less of a problem if these are filtered before they even reach the site, no one ever knows and the site has an improved image.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Keiser
United States
Waunakee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BruceLGL wrote:
Hivemind wrote:
I don't envy the admins having to deal with issues like this.

What is the issue? The only reason not to remove ads that some people may to or that degrades your branding is that you might affect your revenue. This is a business decision, and not taking it sends the message too. It is even less of a problem if these are filtered before they even reach the site, no one ever knows and the site has an improved image.

Personally, I prefer a site that takes some chances. Milquetoast and boring is for the coffin.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Johnson
United States
Azusa
California
flag msg tools
One of Alabama 3's finest songs, especially the versions on the single this image is from...
badge
Sweet Pretty M*th*rf*ck*ng Country Acid House Music - All night long!
snapdragon23 wrote:

What I was more disturbed by was how toxic the Facebook community response was, and how the bgg admins didn't care.

I guess you haven't been paying much attention to this sort of thing in the past; that's the standard response of both the "community" and the admins. Unfortunately.

Quote:

So sexism in the gaming world doesn't seem to be going anywhere soon.

Yuuuup. Unfortunately. Again. :/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.