Whirble Wind
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Pardon my ignorance if this is obvious, but my searching turned up little.

I just missed the recent kickstarter and I'd love to move on from Tabletop Simulator games to the real deal.

I followed their twitter, the subreddit and I check here occasionally, so I hope I won't miss my next chance.

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T H
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The creator is trying to get the kickstarter copies shipped roughly around the end of August. I imagine the left over games will go on sale sometime after that. If you go to kingdomdeath.com and sign up the the newsletter they will keep you updated on such things and other sales as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Whirble Wind
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Didn't know about the newsletter, good thinking! Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus
Germany
Bückeburg
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
badge
just kidding
mbmbmbmbmb
or check ebay, sometimes there are popping up some copies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Whirble Wind
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Goldron wrote:

My handful of cursory glances showed prices significantly higher than MSRP, which I am not willing to pay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Fox
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Goldron wrote:

Right now everything on ebay is 1.3 and as far as i know, the are no plans to sell the update packs separately to take a game to 1.5

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lonny x
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I'm fairly certain Adam mentioned that the update packs will be available in the store at some point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C M
msg tools
mbmb
My guess would be black friday at the latest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessio Massuoli
Italy
Terni
Umbria
flag msg tools
Baby don't hurt me
badge
Sleepy Sloth
mbmbmbmbmb
malkaven wrote:
I'm fairly certain Adam mentioned that the update packs will be available in the store at some point.

Yes, he mentioned that. However, I'm fairly curious at the logistics of a thing like that.

Only 10k copies of 1.31 exist. Of these, a reasonable number is not actually in use (crazy collectors, the infamous red dot mini-less versions, the units ravaged for spare parts, the units kept in office for testing...) It is probably not so significant, but I guess that the real number of actual copies used by gamers is around 9500. Of these, the really interested guys bought the upgrade pack in the Kickstarter, and only the ebayers/sellers actually did not get the upgrade, because they planned to sell it before 1.5 was a thing.

Now, 1.5 upgrade packs are basically useless without 1.31 core game. Poots can think to print some extras for spare parts, and if they are not needed, he may want to sell these, but... How many?

All the excess here is a loss. I know that this time around the man ran his numbers, but can he afford to print some surefire useless stuff just to sell a little bit more packs at the counter?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Trewartha
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmb
t3clis wrote:
malkaven wrote:

Yes, he mentioned that. However, I'm fairly curious at the logistics of a thing like that.

Only 10k copies of 1.31 exist. Of these, a reasonable number is not actually in use (crazy collectors, the infamous red dot mini-less versions, the units ravaged for spare parts, the units kept in office for testing...) It is probably not so significant, but I guess that the real number of actual copies used by gamers is around 9500. Of these, the really interested guys bought the upgrade pack in the Kickstarter, and only the ebayers/sellers actually did not get the upgrade, because they planned to sell it before 1.5 was a thing.

Now, 1.5 upgrade packs are basically useless without 1.31 core game. Poots can think to print some extras for spare parts, and if they are not needed, he may want to sell these, but... How many?

All the excess here is a loss. I know that this time around the man ran his numbers, but can he afford to print some surefire useless stuff just to sell a little bit more packs at the counter?

Lucky he knows how many 1.3 copies he sold and how many people in the new KS already got upgrade packs. I could also see people buying extras for the extra gold smoke knight or even as backup.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sam newman

doncaster
south yorkshire
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
godzilla999666 wrote:
Goldron wrote:

Right now everything on ebay is 1.3 and as far as i know, the are no plans to sell the update packs separately to take a game to 1.5

not that there is anything wrong with the 1.3 edition. Still great game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessio Massuoli
Italy
Terni
Umbria
flag msg tools
Baby don't hurt me
badge
Sleepy Sloth
mbmbmbmbmb
strewart wrote:
t3clis wrote:
malkaven wrote:

Lucky he knows how many 1.3 copies he sold and how many people in the new KS already got upgrade packs. I could also see people buying extras for the extra gold smoke knight or even as backup.

Yes, he announced that he would do that, anyway, so barring changes of mind this will happen. I was just wondering about the logistics.

With your assumption, Poots can just make a 10000 upgrade packs print run and be done with it, but it would be like assuming that all people who bought, for example, scythe, also bought invaders from afar expansion. I simply think that this is a blind bet, but you know, Poots stuff every goes sold out anyway, so maybe it's worrying for nothing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Trewartha
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmb
t3clis wrote:

Yes, he announced that he would do that, anyway, so barring changes of mind this will happen. I was just wondering about the logistics.

With your assumption, Poots can just make a 10000 upgrade packs print run and be done with it, but it would be like assuming that all people who bought, for example, scythe, also bought invaders from afar expansion. I simply think that this is a blind bet, but you know, Poots stuff every goes sold out anyway, so maybe it's worrying for nothing.

Its a tough spot to be in because producing another small run of upgrade packs at a later date if demand is there is completely unfeasible. He does need to match the demand for them. And as you point out, some copies aren't being used, others may be oblivious to the update for another year (you never know), some people have extra copies sitting around that they may eventually try to sell... He may just end up holding on to a handful of them for a while. I mean the base game itself 'sold out' a few times and extra copies were found in the warehouse. Also the print run needs to consider that some upgrade packs will be damaged or have missing parts or get lost in shipping.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G G
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
malkaven wrote:

Adam will have produced some number of "extras" to cover replacement parts / damage during KS delivery. At some point, they will be available, once he gets a feel for how much is consumed by KS backer support.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Olds
United States
OREM
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
t3clis wrote:
malkaven wrote:

Ok, part of me is kind of offended that you think the mini-less versions aren't getting played (there's a chibi set, and another one using primarily Reaper minis that I know of).

Aside from that, what you're saying sounds about right. There were folks who got the game just for the minis, and they (might) not want the upgrade pack, and there are people who bought the game that didn't get into it and play it.

So the upgrade pack isn't something he's going to worry about keeping in stock forever. You're better off waiting for the end of the year and just buying a proper 1.5 set.

(get on the mailing list- and make the decision now to just go on there and buy it when it shows up. Kingdom Death is infamous for running out of stuff way faster than is reasonable).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Olds
United States
OREM
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
strewart wrote:
t3clis wrote:
malkaven wrote:

There are two things wrong with 1.3 ed:

1- Does not contain upgrade items- so you'll (probably) want to get the upgrade pack for it.

2- Prices are currently at "ebay" level. 1.3 is not available at any price that I think we can consider 'reasonable.'

This will likely change on Ebay once the game is available from the Kingdom Death store once again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessio Massuoli
Italy
Terni
Umbria
flag msg tools
Baby don't hurt me
badge
Sleepy Sloth
mbmbmbmbmb
odinsgrandson wrote:

Ok, part of me is kind of offended that you think the mini-less versions aren't getting played (there's a chibi set, and another one using primarily Reaper minis that I know of).

Of course there are a lot of mini-less kdm boxes that see a lot of play!

I was referring to the so-called "red dot" ones, that Poots brought last year to gencon and (reportedly) nobody bought. Those are some units that number in the 10k print run and nobody played.

Keeping exact number will be impossible. If the objective is to sell some upgrades on the store, either he wastes upgrades (miniatures can still be packaged in another way and sold, hardcover rules can be sold separately and the rest could be replacements), or he under-produces upgrade packs down to a number he feels is safe.

Knowing the man a bit, though, the former is more likely (although it seems that he became more business-savvy lately...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G G
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No upgrades are going to be wasted. Worst case, he throws out the upgrade pack box (only), and uses the contents in KDM 2.0.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Trewartha
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmb
t3clis wrote:
odinsgrandson wrote:

I was referring to the so-called "red dot" ones, that Poots brought last year to gencon and (reportedly) nobody bought. Those are some units that number in the 10k print run and nobody played.

Keeping exact number will be impossible. If the objective is to sell some upgrades on the store, either he wastes upgrades (miniatures can still be packaged in another way and sold, hardcover rules can be sold separately and the rest could be replacements), or he under-produces upgrade packs down to a number he feels is safe.

Knowing the man a bit, though, the former is more likely (although it seems that he became more business-savvy lately...)

You have interpreted the red dot packs a bit wrong I think. What happened was that they were offered for sale, but also separately a box of the miniatures (no game) was offered. Despite being given that as an option, everyone except 1 or 2 people chose to buy the box of miniatures as well. That was taken to mean that there was very little demand for the game without miniatures.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fito R
Argentina
flag msg tools
GrauGeist wrote:
No upgrades are going to be wasted. Worst case, he throws out the upgrade pack box (only), and uses the contents in KDM 2.0.

That's...... not how mass produced products work. Repackaging something like that would cost more than just producing it normally in the first place.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessio Massuoli
Italy
Terni
Umbria
flag msg tools
Baby don't hurt me
badge
Sleepy Sloth
mbmbmbmbmb
strewart wrote:
t3clis wrote:
odinsgrandson wrote:

You have interpreted the red dot packs a bit wrong I think. What happened was that they were offered for sale, but also separately a box of the miniatures (no game) was offered. Despite being given that as an option, everyone except 1 or 2 people chose to buy the box of miniatures as well. That was taken to mean that there was very little demand for the game without miniatures.

Ok, that it's entirely possible, and it's why I wrote 'reportedly'... I only have stories of what happened, so I can have used fantasy to fill the gaps among facts

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.