Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Claus Appel
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi!

I played my first complete game of LOAD this week. There were two things that struck me:

1. Towers seem very weak. Each tower does an average of one point of damage per turn when in range. This seems negligible to me. It seems like it would be more interesting if towers did twice as much damage.
2. Specialized creeps seem weak. We tried spawning some a few times and were underwhelmed - they died very quickly and accomplished little.

This is after just one game, so I cannot confidently say anything about game balance. These two things just struck me. Am I missing something? Can you give me some pointers? Are these things actually more effective than I give them credit for?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Saricov
Israel
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
SpectrumDT wrote:
Hi!

I played my first complete game of LOAD this week. There were two things that struck me:

1. Towers seem very weak. Each tower does an average of one point of damage per turn when in range. This seems negligible to me. It seems like it would be more interesting if towers did twice as much damage.
2. Specialized creeps seem weak. We tried spawning some a few times and were underwhelmed - they died very quickly and accomplished little.

This is after just one game, so I cannot confidently say anything about game balance. These two things just struck me. Am I missing something? Can you give me some pointers? Are these things actually more effective than I give them credit for?

Thanks!

Towers do an average of 2 hits per shot, if you got bad rolls, this dosen't mean anything.

Regarding the creeps, they are indeed underwhelming. You get one for free, which in the normal ruleset, will 90% be the runner, the rest are simply too slow and rarely have an impact. In my variant, I still left the one free specialized creep at the spawn point when you spawn creeps, but if you pay 3 gold for another creep, you can upgrade one of the existing regular creeps to a creep of your choice. This made the defender and skirmisher much more useful and interesting. i'm also debated on making the skirmisher have a range2 attack, but this hasn't been tested yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claus Appel
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
juggernaut1 wrote:
SpectrumDT wrote:
Hi!

Thanks!

Towers do an average of 2 hits per shot, if you got bad rolls, this dosen't mean anything.

Oh! I just realized that towers roll 4 dice. I thought they only rolled 2 dice. That makes more sense.

juggernaut1 wrote:
Regarding the creeps, they are indeed underwhelming. You get one for free, which in the normal ruleset, will 90% be the runner, the rest are simply too slow and rarely have an impact. In my variant, I still left the one free specialized creep at the spawn point when you spawn creeps, but if you pay 3 gold for another creep, you can upgrade one of the existing regular creeps to a creep of your choice. This made the defender and skirmisher much more useful and interesting. i'm also debated on making the skirmisher have a range2 attack, but this hasn't been tested yet.

I like your upgrade idea! I will try that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alice Penn Howard
msg tools
juggernaut1 wrote:
SpectrumDT wrote:
Hi!

Thanks!

I usually find myself not using the skirmishers too much but I do use the protectors an absolute ton, especially if im on the defensive and I have an allied hero near my tower or if the enemy are pushing on a tower.

Regardless the creeps arent meant to have a huge impact, theyre lane creeps, they are there almost exclusively as bodies for heroes to hide behind and farm for gold.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.