Okey Dokey» Forums » Rules

Subject: What happend when you use a Equal card rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Fran Gómez
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'm not sure about two rules, the end game and the use of a equal card.

You win the game when all the 50 card are played? Even if you have cards in your hand (because you've played some equal cards)?

Or Am I playing it wrong and when I use a equal card I have to discard one card of the same colour of the row?

Can someone please explain me what happend when a equal card is played in a early game?(for example I don't have blue cards and I played a equal in that row)

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Palau Life
msg tools
We've never play with Equal cards, but when we have, we follow the rules as they state: "Equal cards may be placed instead of any Number card." In this light, if we play an Equal card from our hand, the Equal card is treated as the same number as the card to its right. At the same time, we may discard a Number card from our hand (of the same color of the row we just played the Equal card to) and place it under the newly-placed Equal card - this way you don't end up with extra cards.

It makes the game easier to play with Equal cards because they allow you to keep building the row (e.g., by using the Equal card) while being able to get rid of a card you might not be able to use (e.g., discarding it under the quality card). Please excuse my English if it is not correct!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fran Gómez
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I don't know...

In the rules say:

Once the deck runs out,
Players will be unable to draw any more cards.
In addition, when placing an Equal card, players may discard a Number card of the colour of the row where the Equal card was placed. Place the discarded card under the Equal card that was just placed. Only one card may be discarded per Equal card.

It's says that you may discard a Number card, and only when the deck runs out.

So my question is, if the deck still have cards and you use a equal card, you don't have to discard a card,(well,you never have to discard a card when places a equal card) right? And If you don't discard a card, at the end of the game you will have the same number of cards in your hand as the number of equal cards you have played.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Palau Life
msg tools
Well, you can definitely play an Equal card at any time you have them, not just when the deck runs out. The rules here on the second column of page 2 say that you may play an equal card instead of a number card, so equal cards can be played anytime you may play a number card.

As well, you don't have to discard a card of the same color when you play an equal card, but if you do, you place it under the Equal card, so you don't end up with extra cards. It's a bit clunky worded, I agree but once you play it, it makes more sense. So, instead of a nice row of, say:

RED:
8-7-6-5-R-4-3-1-R-2

You could have:

RED:
8-7-E/1-6-4-R-5-2-R-3

Does that make better sense? As long as you end the grid with a total of 50 cards following the placement rules, you have won! That said, we never play with equal cards so it's never an issue for us, but once you play with them, it's really not that difficult.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fran Gómez
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I agree with you. You don't have to discard cards when use a equal card.

I think I'm playing correctly, and the goal of the game is just fill the 5X10 grid no matter you use or not equal cards.

It's a little bit extrange that when I finish the game (filling the grid) I still have cards in my hand.

I think the easiest way to not worry is play whitout the equal cards but I want that someone confirm that I'm playing correctly if I use equal cards and finish with cards in my hand.

Thank you for your help Dave.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Van Zandt
United States
South Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
PlayTMG.com
mbmbmbmbmb
The game end condition is as stated in the rules, playing 50 cards to the grid. It's possible to have leftover cards if playing with equals.

The discard part is optional - it prevents a circumstance where you have cards left (and must play if it reaches your turn and you haven't won yet), but any play would be illegal and lose you the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fran Gómez
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thank you so much, that's all I wanted to read. Everything is clear now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Palau Life
msg tools
iFriz wrote:

I think I'm playing correctly, and the goal of the game is just fill the 5X10 grid no matter you use or not equal cards.

Yes, you are correct! 50 cards, placed following the rules, will trigger a successful end!

iFriz wrote:

It's a little bit extrange that when I finish the game (filling the grid) I still have cards in my hand.

This can be normal if you play with any equal cards, do not worry. It doesn't affect the win condition.

iFriz wrote:

I think the easiest way to not worry is play whitout the equal cards but I want that someone confirm that I'm playing correctly if I use equal cards and finish with cards in my hand.

Thank you for your help Dave.

No worries! You are playing it correctly if you follow that. I've been teaching the game for a while now, and everyone gets it, I promise

As I posted above, as long as you have placed your cards following the rules, and as long as you end with 50 cards in your grid, you have won! Anything left over in your hand if you use Equals is fine!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denman Scofield
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How about, any card played directly after an "equals card" is physically placed on top of the equal card. This eliminates the overhang that would occur.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.