Subject: Are you going to buy the game after playing the App? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
G Geisler

Santa Fe
New Mexico
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had thought about buying Race for the Galaxy in the past but was concerned about the learning curve. Now that I have learned the game on the IOS app I'm intrigued by the possibility of buying the physical version and playing it solo. And of course I will hold out hope that I will find someone else to play with. I feel this way because this game rocks!

For those that have played both what is your advice? Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
Basically if you're just wanting to play solo and have access to the app, why in hell would you spend 40 more bucks when you already have keldon's ai there to play with. The app is far superior for solo play.

And if you're worried about finding opponents, the app is quite good at that too, though you won't always have live, continuous games.

If you're not sure you'll find people to play with, I'd skip buying the physical game.

Also, it's a game where if you're experienced you're going to win a LOT. So if you get in 1k games against an AI (easy to do!) anyone you teach is going to have a rough time catching up.

You can also play free, live games on . . . a game site whose name I am drawing a blank on . . .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Roskam
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had the game already... but struggled to find someone to play it. I am absolutely loving the app! If you can find someone who likes the app, I would definitely get the cards to play with. Personally, I wouldn't by a physical copy for solo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Schaub
Switzerland
Thun
Bern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
scifiantihero wrote:
You can also play free, live games on . . . a game site whose name I am drawing a blank on . . .

Board Game Arena
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Blackett
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The app is an excellent adaption of the game and is fantastic to play solo. However, I don't think you can beat the physical version with The gathering storm expansion for solo play. The solo Bot is so well development it's an absolute pleasure to play. Granted it does take a bit more time (and table space).
If you don't think you get the physical version to the table very often, then I'd stick with the app. But, if you are card holding, dice rolling, table hogging geek, then I think it's well worth spending a bit of money to get the physical version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Geisler

Santa Fe
New Mexico
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the input folks. I have actually bought the physical copy of a number of games I have played first on the IPAD including Suburbia, Stars Realms, and XenoShyft and have no regrets. I do get the advantages and disadvantages so we will see what the future holds. Definitely enjoying the App and all the BGG discussion forums and videos on the Race for the Galaxy (and expansions).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serge Levert
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AnimalMkIV wrote:
(I'm still using the beta, not prepared to spend £7 on the app)

Wait so the beta still works? What are the differences between the beta and the paid version?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I presume you can't install the beta anymore either. It will also have some bugs which will be fixed in the paid app.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wilson St.James
Canada
Winona
Ontario
flag msg tools
mb
Steveblackett wrote:
... if you are card holding, dice rolling, table hogging geek, then I think it's well worth spending a bit of money to get the physical version.

This.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snasne Snaxx
Norway
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Love the app. Now i finally get to play RftG! My physical copy unfortunately sits unplayed on the shelf, as my game group played it to death while I tok a 10 year break from the hobby... whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Zhang
China
Shanghai
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The AI is fantastic!
Hoping the coming TTA AI will also be challenging as this one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Bradley
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Scotland
flag msg tools
NMVOL wrote:
I had thought about buying Race for the Galaxy in the past but was concerned about the learning curve. Now that I have learned the game on the IOS app I'm intrigued by the possibility of buying the physical version and playing it solo. And of course I will hold out hope that I will find someone else to play with. I feel this way because this game rocks!

I am new to the game and currently only own the Steam version. Despite enjoying the game very much, I do not plan to buy the physical version for the following reasons:

1) I do not have any readily available gamer friends who would play this, and it's too complex for my children.

2) I generally prefer PC versions (NOT apps for tablets or phones!!) of board games, because they turn over so fast compared to the physical version. PC does all the house-keeping, enforces all the rules and just makes things go faster. I prefer that. I know many gamers are in it for the social aspect, with the game being somewhat secondary to the social experience. I am the precise opposite. I tolerate the social experience, just so I can play the game! So in general, the PC versions are my preference.

3) The AI seems very very strong in this game, and is thus giving me the type of experience I am looking for - i.e. play against a person who is *better* than me. (I'm a min-maxer at heart so always want to learn from better players).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GaryB wrote:
and it's too complex for my children.

How old are they? Both my two (7.5 & 9.5) wanted to try the app and my 7 year old has played a couple of games with me after learning the game on the Android app - he won the first game and finished second behind my wife in the other in the other.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Bradley
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Scotland
flag msg tools
zabdiel wrote:
GaryB wrote:
and it's too complex for my children.

How old are they? Both my two (7.5 & 9.5) wanted to try the app and my 7 year old has played a couple of games with me after learning the game on the Android app - he won the first game and finished second behind my wife in the other in the other.

11 and 12. It's the learning curve tbh. I had issues with it myself and almost gave up. I think they could probably handle the actual game, but there is no way they will be prepared to climb the learning curve to get to that point. Also, thematically, it's a hard sell to my two.....my daughter has no interest in SF, and there aren't enough "monsters and fighting" in it for my son's taste. Our current game of choice is Lords of Waterdeep but to get my son to play that I really had to go with the "this is a wizard not a purple cube" approach, and really had to sell that quests were epic adventurers where the cubes (sorry, wizards) were fighting monsters. And for my daughter, I sold her the "fact" that the Clerics were girls, and brave and beautiful. Good enough for The Force Awakens, good enough for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GaryB wrote:
Also, thematically, it's a hard sell to my two.....

Of course if they aren't interested in the game then it will be too complex, but if they were interested I bet they would find it wouldn't be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd McCorkle
United States
Anderson
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
zabdiel wrote:
GaryB wrote:
Also, thematically, it's a hard sell to my two.....

Of course if they aren't interested in the game then it will be too complex, but if they were interested I bet they would find it wouldn't be.

This is practically a universal truth for any game. I must remember this quote for the future.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.