Popular Tags: [View All]
Sean Johnstone
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
Banzai Charge
mbmbmbmbmb
What is a better game experience this or ST frontiers? What are the pros and cons of each? I really enjoyed Twilight Imperium and am looking for something similar or just outright more fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Staples
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Which one looks more fun to you?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Earl
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ascendancy definitely has more in common with Twilight Imperium than Frontiers does.

There are videos for both on this site, so I would think you'd be able to decide after watching a few. They are not really similar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lou Lessing
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played Frontiers but I think probably this.

I'm a big TI3 fan. ST:A definitely scratches the same itch, although I like TI3 more, and it does a pretty good job of feeling like Star Trek, at least to me. (ST:A gets some criticism from fans for being too warlike and not Trek enough, but it's always felt good to me. I don't like it when a game tries too hard to tell a specific story.)

From what I've heard, Frontiers is okay, but very similar to and broadly worse than Mage Knight, Trek theme aside. I haven't played Mage Knight either. I have no real insight on the validity of that statement. In terms of Trek feel, it might be better -- at very least it seems to be more of a focus in that game. If you want a Trek game featuring the characters from the show, for example, Frontiers does and ST:A pretty much doesn't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Anderson
United States
Farmington
Minnesota
flag msg tools
I own both. Both are fun, but I prefer and play ST:A much more. My wife and friends understand that better as well. I'd only play ST:F if I couldn't get 3 (or more soon) players. Or honestly ST:F is such a beast I usually play something else then.
However, if you have a dedicated group that's familiar with very complex games, then ST:F is very plausible. Nonetheless, I've had more fun playing ST:A. It has alliances and betrayals, research, empire building, fleet management...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

They are two totally different games. Can't be compared, other than they're both Star Trek themed. So this is where I'd ask what you are looking for out of a gaming experience. Then we can provide a useful answer.

But you already did that by informing us that you're looking for something similar to Twilight Imperium. That being our filter, then between the two games, Star Trek Ascendancy is the closest fit - by a wide margin.

They're both very good games in their own right. But again, they're apples and oranges. Star Trek: Frontiers, while being a great gaming experience (especially if you play solo games), doesn't compare to ST:A if you're using TI as your yardstick.

Just my humble opinion, as an owner of both Star Trek games and being knowledgeable of how TI plays.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Royce Calverley
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Love Star Trek: Frontiers
Disliked Star Trek: Ascendency

Having said that, ST:A is a much closer game to TI3. If you are looking for a similar experience, try ST:A. If you are looking for a much heavier and more crunchy euro experience then try ST:F.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mauro Cimmarrusti
Italy
Milan
flag msg tools
ALOHA i like strategic game,my preference is for Ascendancy but good game is Star Trek Fleet Captain!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cody Knox
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
I have found Frontiers to be completely impenetrable. At this point, I doubt I'll ever learn how to play the dang thing. I did think Ascendancy was fun, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.