Hide
7 Posts

Eclipse» Forums » General

Subject: Nine Player Game Race suggestions? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sebastian Gladitz
msg tools
In three weeks I want to make a nine player round of eclipse with all expansions.

I know I have to add some tokes, technology' s etc.

But, can experienced players give me suggestions what races we should use and which ones are to weak for a nine player game.

For example, I do not want to use the Exiles, because I heard they are only useful in 4 to 6 player games. They are not balanced for lesser or more players.
Then if somebody is using octanis, I want to force another player to play the second player board of the octanis race. Because I hear and experienced that if one player can access the mutation bag alone the race gets overpowered.

Feel free to advice or criticize me in this issue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis C
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I believe the RotA rules advise against using Planta and Draco in player counts that large.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Bakija
United States
flag msg tools
Q: Are we not men?
mbmbmbmbmb
Gnade wrote:
In three weeks I want to make a nine player round of eclipse with all expansions.

I know I have to add some tokes, technology' s etc.

But, can experienced players give me suggestions what races we should use and which ones are to weak for a nine player game.

9 player games are crazy. You can't really tell what people on the other side of the map are doing, and can't really interact across the table most of the time. So really, it is best not to worry about it. I mean, I liked 9 player games the couple of times I played them, but the actual "winning" and "losing" aspect of the game was far less important than the "this is a crazy giant game" aspect of the game. And no one was remotely concerned about actual game balance in those particular games. As they are just too kooky.

Quote:
For example, I do not want to use the Exiles, because I heard they are only useful in 4 to 6 player games. They are not balanced for lesser or more players.

That is weird. Why would that be? We use Exiles all the time around here, and their ability to do well or not doesn't seem to have anything to do with the number of players involved.

Quote:
Then if somebody is using octanis, I want to force another player to play the second player board of the octanis race. Because I hear and experienced that if one player can access the mutation bag alone the race gets overpowered.

As a guy that was making that very argument here in this forum the first few times we played them, I'll say that my concern about this was likely overblown. I mean, yeah, Octanis tends to do better when they are the only one fishing through the evolution bag, but not so much that you should feel compelled to force someone else to be Octanis if someone else is Octanis.

Quote:
Feel free to advice or criticize me in this issue.

9 player games are generally absurd. There is way too much going on to keep track of. There are way too many players that everyone won't ever interact with. Just play the game regularly and don't worry about race balance or whatever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter O
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The RoTA races, including Exiles, were tested explicitly for the 9 player game. Most of them have some sort ability to help them exist in the outer reaches. Exiles have the more obvious ability of building orbitals, so they do just fine with all the tier 3 single planet systems.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy D

Wyoming
Michigan
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gnade wrote:

Not sure where you heard this, but I am inclined to disagree. I would tend to think that of all the races in the game that are balanced to work in a 9-player game, it would at least be the ones from the expansion that introduced the ability to play a 9-player game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Gladitz
msg tools
Big Thanks for the suggestions.

Then I will make not so many restrictions in my big round.

But like Travis Chapman said, the official rules do not recommend the planta or draco in a 9 player game.
I think because they would steal all the good hexes away from the other players trough there exploring abilitys.
So I will leave these two out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Motz
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If not everyone has played you really ought to have someone just focus on helping keep the game moving and not really playing themselves, or at least not caring about winning. Make sure to space out the experienced players among the new players. Having multiple people willing to answer questions is key.

Focus on fun and keeping the game moving - don't let people sit and think for too long. Good natured teasing and keeping it light hearted helps a lot. As does the two action pawns around the table thing. Keep the momentum!

Pro tip: the technology board is a pain at large player counts. Meaning the logistics of getting that many people physically moving around the table to see what is currently on it. Put it in a side table and have a clear path for people to go look at it. Better yet get a video projector and display it on the wall.

You can mix and match almost anything at 8-9. As long as most people are new it won't matter. If they are experienced you want to be more careful. But we have played at large counts with almost everything including holiday specials and Planta/Descendants. It works as long as "fun" is more important than "fair." Give Planta to someone who is not really a gamer but is humoring their significant other.

Starting advice is to just have people pick stuff that looks interesting and then show how stuff works after. run through actions and hexes and movement basics quick, do one round of combat and then dive in.

Good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.