GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!

7,830 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
21 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
1052 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [43] | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Design Contests

Subject: 2017 Solitaire Print and Play Contest rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: BGG:PnP-Contests [+] pnp_contests [+] [View All]
Chris Hansen
United States
Riverton
UT
flag msg tools
designer
If given the option, I would prefer to play with the green pieces, please.
badge
Check out the 2017 Solo Design Contest!
mbmbmbmbmb

2017 Solitaire Print and Play Contest

The results are in!
Best Playtesters

Looking for a game to play?
Here is a list of games from the contest that could use some extra feedback?
Games that could use more players
Israel Waldrom's list of games by Player Count
John Kean's poll of games you've played

Welcome to the seventh annual Solitaire Print and Play Contest! Last year was a huge success and I'm very excited to see the new designs for this year. All contest information and game entries will be posted in this thread. I'll be keeping this top post updated so everything you need to know will be here. However, I'd encourage you to participate in the forum and get to know the other designers. This is a friendly contest and you'll likely find that people willing to help playtest your game by participating with the other entrants.

This year we will be continuing to allow the admission of older games (Second Edition Games) and will continue the Game-Playing Volunteers that will make sure that every game entered in the contest gets some valuable feedback.

Table of Contents for this Post
Contest Rules
* Important Dates
* Explanation of Contest Dates
* Game Entry Requirements
* Entry Limits
* Contest Participation
* Game Licensing
* Game Design
* Game Components
* Second Edition Game Entries
* Game Entries Designed Within Contest Timeline
* Game Submission
* Example Entry Thread
Volunteer Players
* Special Rules for Volunteers
Categories
Voting
Prizes
* Microbadge Award
* General Prizes
* Category Prizes
* Special Prizes
Links
Recommendations
* Vassal Mods
* Adding Your Game to BoardGameGeek
* Help for New Users
License for Contest Rules

Contest Rules
Important Dates
Earliest Date for Games to be Publicly Available: May 29, 2017
Entry Deadline to get volunteer feedback: July 16, 2017
Entry Deadline: August 20, 2017 11:59 PM BGG Time (CST)
Typo Corrections Deadline: August 27, 2017 11:59 PM BGG Time (CST)
Voting Page Available: September 17, 2017
Voting Deadline: September 24, 2017 11:59 PM BGG Time (CST)
Volunteer Feedback Deadline: August 6, 2017

Explanation of Contest Dates
Earliest Date for Games to be Publicly Available
This is the earliest date that a game can be made available online and still be eligible for the contest. New games that are going to be entered in the contest may not be made available publicly for download on BGG or other websites prior to May 29, 2017. The purpose of this is prevent some designers from getting months or years of public feedback while others get much less. This also keeps the focus of the contest on new games rather than old designs.

Games released before this date may be entered as “Second Edition” games.

Entry Deadline
Games for the contest must be complete (Contest Ready) by August 20, 2017. Any game that is not Contest Ready by this date will not be eligible for the contest and will be removed from the entry list. No new games may be entered after this date.

While last minute entries are allowed, I encourage you to use the full design period to allow more time for playtest feedback so that you create the best game possible.

Typo Corrections Deadline
Games entered in the contest have a one week buffer period to make corrections in case of typos or minor component errors. After August 27, 2017, the games must remain unaltered for the remainder of the voting period.

Voting Deadline
Votes will be accepted between the dates of September 17, 2017 and September 24, 2017. All votes are due by the Voting Deadline of September 24, 2017. No votes will accepted after this date.

Entry Deadline to get volunteer feedback before the Voting Phase
If you would like your game to get Volunteer Feedback before the Entry Deadline, you must have it in the Components Available phase by July 16, 2017. Volunteers will play your game and provide feedback by August 6, 2017 which gives you nearly a month before the entry deadline in which to make any improvements based on their feedback. Games that are in the Component Ready Phase after July 16, 2017 may still get feedback before the Entry Deadline, but there is no guarantee.

Volunteer Feedback Deadline
For those interested, volunteers can be assigned to playtest your game and provide feedback. You will need to have your game in a playable state by July 16, 2017. Volunteers assigned to your game will play it and provide feedback by no later than August 6, 2017. This will give you time to make changes before the entry deadline.

Game Entry Requirements
This contest should be purpose-designed solitaire play games. Multi-player or co-op options are allowed but the primary focus of the game should be for solo play. A good example is Onirim, which has a two player option, but was primarily designed to be enjoyed by one.

The games should have a decision tree or a way for players to react to the randomness. Games should not be decided (won or lost) regardless of player action (ala Klondike). Also, games should not be two-player games in which the player must play both sides (i.e. A Victory Lost)

To be eligible for the main contest prize, the games entered in this contest need to be new. New games must meet the following criteria:
The game cannot have been entered in a previous contest. Games that were entered in other contests but not completed (i.e. Withdrawn or Incomplete Entries) are still eligible to be entered in this contest.
The game cannot be publicly offered for download on BGG, a WIP Thread, or other websites prior to the Earliest Date for Games to be Publicly Available. The game may be described and discussed online so long as it is not actually available for download.
Games cannot be entered into the Solitaire Contest and other concurrently running PNP design contests. After the solo contest ends, you are free to enter your game in other contests provided it is allowed in their respective rules.

This year, the contest will accept games that were entered into previous contests (or publicly shared in WIP threads) with components. Previously released games are not eligible for the main contest prize but are eligible for the category prizes. These games are considered “Second Edition” and must meet the following conditions:
The games cannot have a game page on BoardGameGeek.
The designer must make significant improvements to his or her design when entering it as a Second Edition Game. The exact definition of “significant improvement” will be left to the designer, but please try to make sure you are adding something new or fixing problems.

No game entered in the contest may have an entry in the BGG database prior to the start of the contest. Designers are free to create a BGG entry later in the contest but may but may not have one earlier.

Entry Limits
To help keep the number of games manageable and playable within the voting time limits, there will be a restriction on the number of games entered. Each designer or team of designers is limited to two entries in the contest. This limit includes Second Edition game entries.

Contest Participation
While the end result of the contest is a geekgold prize, the goal of the contest should be to design the best solitaire game possible and help others do the same. The contest is much more enjoyable when you participate with other designers and provide feedback for their designs.

For each game entered in the contest, designers should try to play at least three of the other entries. This will help you meet other designers and you will find that many of them will return the favor and play your game. However, I know that schedule conflicts and other issues may arise so while playing other games is strongly encouraged, it is not a requirement.

When interacting with others, please stay friendly and be kind to each other. This contest is welcoming to everyone. I will not tolerate any racist, sexist, or otherwise bigoted behavior.

Please do not publish or launch a crowdfunding campaign for your entry during the contest timeframe. Once the contest is done, you may take steps to publish your game but please do not do so until voting in the contest has completed. I want to keep the contest fair for everyone and I worry that a Kickstarter campaign (or something similar) could bring a lot of attention to one particular game.

Game Licensing
Designers may release their game under any license they deem appropriate. This can include full Copyright Protection, a Creative Commons license, or release into the Public Domain. The only requirement for the contest is (obviously) that anyone should be able to legally print and assemble their own copies for personal use.

Regardless of license type, the games in this contest must be freely available as PNP for the duration of the contest. Once the contest is over, the designer is free to remove the PNP edition of the game so that the game can be published or sold using a pay-for-PNP model. Designers retain all rights to their games under whatever license is appropriate.

Designers must be legally able to release their game, including the artwork. Artwork should be specifically designed for the game, public domain, or released under a Creative Commons license. When using Creative Commons artwork, please credit the original artist in your rules. Designers must receive permission from the rights holder to use artwork protected by copyright. Games violating copyright may be disqualified from the contest.

Game Design
Other than solitaire play, there are no specific design qualifications for this contest. The game mechanics, theme, and amount of randomness are left to the discretion of the game designers.

Team design work is allowed for this contest. You can have multiple people working on a single game as designers, artists, playtesters, etc.

Game Components
There is no minimum or maximum limit on the number of components or rule length. Designers should be aware that larger games may be built and played by less people and therefore may not receive as many votes as games with smaller and quicker builds. (There is a special category for large games though so they won't be ignored in the voting.)

All games must be printable on regular A4/American Letter Paper. Large format maps and boards are okay as well so long as they can also be printed on A4/Letter paper. (For example, if a designer made a board that was designed to be printed on A3/11x17 paper, they should also provide an alternative where it can be printed on two sheets of A4/Letter paper.) Here is a useful document for determining the margin size of sheets designed to be printed on either A4 or Letter paper.

Designers are free to design whatever components work for their game. If designers want to make games that are Artscow ready or designed to be printed on perforated business cards, etc they are welcome to do so, provided that the game is also available in PDF form.

Circle, hexagonal, and other shaped pieces are allowed. If you are going to create games with difficult to cut pieces, please be aware that not everyone has a good tool to craft these and consider using squares if possible.

Designers can require that players provide a reasonable number of common game components such as cubes, dice, etc.

Second Edition Game Entries
This year, designers may enter a game that was previously entered into another contest or released on a WIP thread with publicly available components before the contest start date. These games are called “Second Edition Games” for this contest. Because these games have by default received more feedback than the new games entered in the contest, they will not be eligible for the main prize. However, they are eligible for the category prizes.

A Second Edition game cannot be entered with no changes from its previously release. Each game must have some significant improvement to the gameplay or mechanics of the game. Simply updating the artwork or clarifying rules is not sufficient to enter a previously released game into this contest. The changes must solve problems with the game or add something new to the gameplay. The exact definition of “significant improvement” is left up to the designer of the game and others should not criticize this decision.

Finally, a Second Edition game must not have an entry in the BGG database previous to the start of this contest. The game may be publicly released in another contest or in a WIP thread but may not have an official BGG page.

Note: If your game was entered into a previous contest but did not have components released, it may be entered in this contest as a regular entry and does not need to be labeled as “Second Edition”.

Game Entries Designed Within Contest Timeline
This year I am adding a new category for games designed entirely within the timeframe of the contest (May 29, 2017 - September 24, 2017). To be eligible for this category, you can't have done any design work prior to the start of the contest. To enter this category, please let me know that your game meets the qualifications.

Note: Designers are free to start work on their games prior to the start of the contest, so long as no components are shared online. However, games which had design work performed prior to May 29, 2017 are not eligible for this special category.

Game Submission
Games entered in this contest must have a WIP/Entry Thread entered in the Board Game WIP Forum. The first post of this WIP/Entry thread must contain the following:
* A link to the 2017 Solitaire Print and Play Contest (this thread)
* A two or three sentence Game Summary (this will be used in the Entry List)
* An image of the assembled game (more than one is fine but at least one is required). The image may be set up to replicate the game in play.
* Description of components required to play
* Approximate playing time
* Categories in which the game will be competing (i.e. Best Rule Book, Best Area Control, and Best Game by a Returning Designer)
* Approval to have volunteers assigned to play your game
* A link to the original WIP thread (if your game is a Second Edition entry)
* Links to the current game files. Rules and components should be in pdf format. The files can be hosted on your own web server or online storage sites such as Google Drive, Dropbox, Box, etc. The files must be freely available to anyone with the link and users should be able to download them without needing to create an account.

All of the above information will be required in the entry thread. Any other info is at the designer's discretion. Please keep the first post in your WIP/Entry thread updated with links to the current game components and current information about the game.

Please include the current status of your game in the Entry Thread's title. This will help other people know where you feel your game is in the design process.
1. Idea Phase/Initial Playtesting (Private Playtesting. No publicly available printed components yet.)
2. Components Available (Public Playtesting. Printed Components are available. Game may be changed as a result of playtesting.)
3. Contest Ready (Game is complete and ready to be entered. The files cannot be changed outside of typo correction in this status.)

To enter a game in the contest, please post to this thread or email me directly with a link to your WIP/Entry thread. The first post of the Contest Thread will contain a link to all games entered in the contest. To finalize your entry, you must make your game "Contest Ready" by geekmailing me directly or posting to this thread.

Example WIP/Entry Thread
Quote:
Entry Thread for Carnival - Components Available
Designed for the 2017 Solitaire Print and Play Contest.

Carnival is a new take on the classic roll and move games like Candyland. You've got to navigate a carnival and find the best food stands. You can get cotton candy, burgers, fries, and other treats! But be careful not to each too much junkfood or you'll get an upset stomach. Can you get to each food stand before the roving band of carnies eat all the best snacks? The game was the brainchild of my seven year old daughter.

Carnival contains 54 cards and an 11x17 board. Players must provide 2 six-sided dice and a few cubes. The game plays in about 45 minutes.

I'd like the game to be entered in:
Best Returning Designer
Best Rule Book
Best Artwork
Best Dungeon Crawl

I would like volunteers to be assigned to my game if needed.

Download links:
Rules
Game Components
Low Ink Version

Volunteer Players

I’d like to ensure that each entrant receive fair consideration for the voting and also gets feedback for their design - which can be far more valuable than any geekgold prize. To accomplish this, the contest will use volunteer players to play any games that are not getting feedback or players.

I will evaluate the entries in the contest and determine which ones are getting feedback on their own and which ones and which ones need some additional help. If a game doesn’t have a sufficient amount of quality comments, I will assign two or three volunteers to play the game and post feedback and a session report. This will hopefully help the designer make improvements to the game and also increase interest of other players. If a game has received quality playtest feedback from at least 3 to 4 separate people, I will not assign it to a volunteer.

The volunteers will provide constructive criticism about the game and comment on what works well and what doesn't. They'll also provide a brief session report and pictures of the game in play. My hope is that this will help to create interest in the games for other players and that the designers will get feedback from a wide variety of players.

If a game is very large (over 10 pages of components), designers will be required to provide one of the following in order to receive feedback.
d10-1 A limited scenario or smaller version of the game that is easier to print and assemble.
d10-2 A vassal module so that volunteers can play the game without using up lots of ink and crafting time.
d10-3 A physical copy of the game mailed to the volunteer.

Important Note for Designers: The Volunteer Program is Opt-In. When entering a game in the contest, you must clearly specify if you will accept volunteer players or if you would prefer not to. I realize that not every designer will want people to be assigned to their game. If you do not opt-in, volunteers will not be assigned to your game.

Important Note for Everyone: The Volunteer Program exists to help games that aren’t generating attention. It is not intended to replace the community playtesting that has always existed in this contest. Please continue to play and comment on games that interest you. Please do not stop playing games just because this program exists.

Volunteers Assignments
The volunteers will be assigned on On July 16, 2017. These volunteers will have two weeks to play your game and should post feedback to your WIP by August 6, 2017. This will give you two weeks to use that feedback to make improvements to the game before the voting deadline.

To participate in the volunteer program, designers must have their game entered with playable PNP components available by July 16, 2017. I cannot guarantee volunteer feedback before the voting phase after this time.

Special Rules for Volunteers
Volunteers will be invited to a special Google Group where game eligibility will be discussed and playing assignments will be made. Volunteers must have a Google account to participate.

Volunteers will be assigned games by me and will not be able to choose specific games. However, volunteers can select one game they are really not interested in playing. For example, if a volunteer really didn't like zombie games, he or she could request to not be assigned a game with that theme.

I will be contacting volunteers before the program begins to make sure they’re still available to be assigned games. There will be a special microbadge for people who volunteer and I will be collecting geekgold donations to award to the volunteers.

Volunteers will be able to vote for their favorite games in a special category only available to them. Volunteers are also eligible to receive the Best Playtester Award.

For info on signing up for the Volunteer Program, see this post.

Categories
There are several categories this year. I’ve organized the categories into “Main Contest Categories” and “Thematic/Mechanic Categories”. The first group is concerned with the overall gameplay, presentation, and build complexity of the game. The second group looks at the game’s themes and mechanics and is somewhat more subjective.

Main Contest Categories
d10-0d10-1 Best Game by a New Designer (a designer with no previous designs in any contest or games previously released)
d10-0d10-2 Best Game by a Returning Designer (a designer that has previously entered a BGG design contest)
d10-0d10-3 Best Game by a New Solo Designer (a designer that has released other games but never designed a solitaire game before)
d10-0d10-4 Best Game Designed in Contest Timeframe
d10-0d10-5 Best Original Artwork (artwork created specifically for the game, either by the designer or another artist)
d10-0d10-6 Best Graphic Design (focuses on layout, aesthetics, and functionality of components. This category allows both original work and existing public domain/creative commons artwork.)
d10-0d10-7 Most Innovative Mechanic (games in this category should have an original mechanic or combination of mechanics)
d10-0d10-8 Best Game Playable on an Airline Seat Tray (approximately 16 inches (40 cm) by 9 inches (23 cm))
d10-0d10-9 Best Rule Book (includes rule clarity, layout, and organization)
d10-1d10-0 Best Easy to Build Game (games that can be built by the average PNP builder in 15 minutes or less)
d10-1d10-1 Best Regular PNP Build (games that can be built by the average PNP builder in one hour or less)
d10-1d10-2 Best Advanced PNP Build (games that can be built by the average PNP builder in over one hour. These games will often contain double sided components, non-square pieces, etc)
d10-1d10-3 Best grayscale/low ink printing (Games that look nice and are playable when printed in black and white.)
d10-1d10-4 Volunteer Prize (Only those who participated in the volunteer program will be eligible to vote in this category.)

Thematic/Mechanic Categories
d10-0d10-1 Best Wargame (Games that simulate a conflict. Could be historical, fantasy, sci fi, etc)
d10-0d10-2 Best Dungeon Crawl (Games that involve character stat development, exploring, treasure hunting, and fighting bad guys. Could be fantasy, sci fi, etc)
d10-0d10-3 Best Worker Placement Category (Games that involve deciding where to place/spend workers or resources to accomplish goals)
d10-0d10-4 Best Area Control (Games that involve maintaining control of certain areas to gain victory points or benefits.)
d10-0d10-5 Best Push Your Luck/Survival (Games in which you must risk progress to continue or decide to forgo a benefit in order to safely bank your progress. Also includes games where you must try to keep a character alive for the duration of a game - such as zombie games)
d10-0d10-6 Best Puzzle/Abstract (Non-thematic games in which you are trying to to solve a puzzle, make connections, capture pieces, etc)
d10-0d10-7 Best Paragraph/Story (Games in which players must make decisions in a Choose Your Own Adventure style by looking up results to their decisions.)
d10-0d10-8 Best Traditional Card, Tarot, or Decktet Game (games designed to be played primarily with an existing deck)

Special Playtesters Prize
Game designers will be able to use the category to recognize the BGG users who provided the most valuable feedback to their games. Each voter may nominate up to three people for this prize.

More information about the categories can be found in the posts below. You may tip the prize pools for individual categories there.

Voting
There will be a full month available for participants to play the games. Aside from a one week window in which typo corrections can be made, no changes to the rules or components will be allowed during the voting period.

The voting page will be posted on September 17, 2017. The voting deadline is September 24, 2017 11:59 PM Central Standard Time.

When evaluating games, players may either print and assemble the games or use any electronic modules provided (such as Vassal or Tabletop Simulator).

Players are not required to play every game in order to vote.

The requirements for voting are as follows:
1 The voter must have a BoardGameGeek account that existed before the voting period began (previous to August 20, 2017).
2 The voter must be an active participant in the contest. This means that the voter must read the rules and provide meaningful feedback to at least three games. The three games should be in addition to games that he or she designed or games which were designed by someone the voter knows personally. The feedback needs to be substantive (i.e. Comments should be more significant than saying something like "great game"). The comments can be questions about the rules, suggestions for improved play, or other insights about the game.
3 Voters are allowed to vote for games they designed. Please try to rank your game honestly compared with the other games.
4 Votes that do not meet these rules will be automatically disqualified and will not be counted.
5 Votes for only one game or other suspicious behavior may be disqualified.
6 If you are not able to meet these requirements due to special circumstances but would still like to vote, please contact me via geekmail to discuss the situation.

Prizes
Microbadge Award
Everyone who designs a game or votes in the contest will receive a 2017 Solitaire Print and Play Contest participant microbadge.
Everyone who actively participates in the Volunteer Program will receive a special microbadge.
Below are the previous contest microbadges for reference:
mb - 2011 Contest
mb - 2012 Contest
mb - 2013 Contest
mb - 2014 Contest
mb - 2015 Contest
mb - 2016 Contest

General Prizes
The prize pool is made up of geekgold from several sources:
Prize from me: 1,000
Tips to this thread: TBD
Tips to Games for Geekgold Fundraising Items: TBD
LINKS TBD
Total in the General Prize Pool: TBD
To contribute to the General Prize Pool, please tip this post.

The general prize pot will be divided up among the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th place winners using a TBD ratio.

Category Prizes
The prize pool for Category Prizes will be from the geekgold tipped to the Category posts in this thread. (Immediately below this post.) Category prizes will be awarded to the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place winners using a 4:2:1 ratio. A game can potentially win more than one category. For example, the winner of the Best Advanced PNP Build Game may also be the winner of Best Wargame.

Special Prizes
Anyone who wants to offer a special award is welcome to do so. This could be a graphic redesign, a geekgold award for a specific theme, or a professional build. The only thing that wouldn't be appropriate for this contest is an award for best game that can be played multiplayer. As people contribute prizes for special categories, I will add them to the list. However, because we have some many categories, I'd encourage you to donate geekgold to existing category rather than creating special prizes.

2017 Special User Created Prizes
TBD

Links
Fans of the contest can now purchase a microbadge! The badge was designed by Murray Grelis who also made the contest logo.
mb - Fan of the Solitaire Print & Play Contest

Please record which games from the contest you've played so that other players can find the games that need attention easily.
Link Coming Soon

There is a thread to discuss the rules of this contest.
2017 Solitaire Print and Play Contest - Discussion Thread

A list of the games from the Print and Play Solitaire Contest that have been entered into the BGG Database.
2017 Solitaire Print and Play Contest Geeklist
2016 Solitaire Print and Play Contest Geeklist
2015 Solitaire Print and Play Contest Geeklist
2014 Solitaire Print and Play Contest Geeklist
2013 Solitaire Print and Play Contest Geeklist
2012 Solitaire Print and Play Contest Geeklist
2011 Solitaire Print and Play Contest Geeklist
Solitaire Print and Play Contest Family - This family contains all of the games entered in the contest that now have BGG entries.

External media about the contest:
Article on Geekdad featuring an interview with me and a summary of the 2014 contest.
Table for One article on Geekdad.

My interview on the 1 Player Podcast about the 2012 contest.
Direct link to show.
Episode link on the 1 Player podcast episode list geeklist.

My interview on the 1 Player Podcast about the 2013 contest.
Direct link to show.
Episode link on the 1 Player podcast episode list geeklist

Google Hangout Link for the 1 Player Podcast Interview about the 2014 contest.
Direct link to the event

1 Player Podcast Interview about the 2015 contest.
Direct link to the show
Episode link on the 1 Player podcast episode list geeklist

Links to previous contests.
2011 Solitaire Print and Play Contest
2012 Solitaire Print and Play Contest
2013 Solitaire Print and Play Contest
2014 Solitaire Print and Play Contest
2015 Solitaire Print and Play Contest
2016 Solitaire Print and Play Contest

Thematic Solitaires for the Spare Time Challenged designer interviews.
Morten Monrad Pedersen is conducting interviews for designers in this contest. If you are interested in participating, please see this post:
Solitaire Print & Play Contest - Interviews Wanted

Recommendations (Not Required)
Enter your game well before the contest deadline. This will give players plenty of time to play it and you will be able to make improvements based on their feedback.

Games should optimally have a Low Ink alternative so people can try them without using too much printer ink. This could be a version without graphics or a greyscale version.

Games should be as easy to assemble as possible. Designers should be aware that larger and hard-to-build games may be built and played by less people and therefore may not receive as many votes as games with smaller and quicker builds.

Designers should include version numbers or dates to all PNP files and keep track of the latest versions in your WIP thread. You might even keep a brief changelog there.

Designers should check their WIP threads regularly after uploading new files and try to answer rules questions soon. If you know you won’t be available for some time, please leave a note.

Electronic Implementations
Vassal and Tabletop Simulator versions are allowed in this contest and are the preferred method for creating electronic version of the games entered. Designers are free to create electronic versions for their games but must provide PNP components as well. To be clear, building an electron version is optional and is not a requirement for entering the contest.

A few volunteers have offered to make Vassal modules or Tabletop Simulator versions of the games entered into the contest. They will ask for permission from the designer before creating one for a game but the designers can also preemptively explicitly grant or deny permission for others to create electronic versions of their work.

Adding Your Game to BoardGameGeek
Games are not required to be entered into the database to be eligible for the contest, but I’d strongly recommend adding your game when you are ready so that it can be more easily accessible to a wider audience than just those who follow this contest. When the game is in the database, you can host files directly on the game’s page or link to them on a remote server from the Web Links section.

Games from this contest should only be added by the designer or by others with the designer’s permission.

For full instructions on adding your game to the database, please see this post: Adding Your Game to BGG

When submitting a game from the contest to the database, please add it to the Solitaire Print and Play Contest Family. The family id is 19564.

Help for New Users
I prepared a FAQ for users who are new to BGG but want to enter a game in the contest. I've seen a lot of the same questions asked many times so hopefully this will be helpful to get people up to speed so they can focus on their game design and not on learning BGG.

Design Contest FAQ for New Users

Topics:
01. Where to Find Contest Rules
02. Creating an Entry Thread
03. BGG Formatting
04. Creating Links to Your Entry Thread
05. Adding Your Entry to a Contest Geeklist
06. Editing a Post and Updating the Title
07. Linking to External Sites (for game components)
08. Adding Pictures to Your Entry Thread
09. Subscribing to Your Entry Thread and Seeing New Replies
10. Replying and Quoting Other Posts
11. Optional: Buying an Avatar
12. Optional: Adding Your Game to BGG
13. Optional: Adding Your Game to the Contest Family
14. Optional: Adding Yourself as a Designer
15. Optional: Thumbing and Giving Geekgold to Posts
16. Optional: Choosing a License for Your Game
17. Optional: Free Art Resources for Your Game
18. Optional: Adding Your Game Entry to the Quickbar
19. Optional: Free and Affordable Resources for Creating artwork on your PC or Mobile Device

License for Contest Rules
The contest rules are released under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License. You are free to use and modify the rules for your own noncommercial contests or other projects. Please credit Chris Hansen as the original author when using these rules. This license applies only to the contest rules. It does not extend to the games entered or to the individual posts made on the contest thread.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Riverton
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Entries List

Alien Horde by Jason Meyers
Entry Thread
Alien Horde is an small solo homage to the arcade games of yore when hordes of aliens came from above and your timing had to be just right to defeat them all. Graphical theme harkens back to those impressive 1-bit displays! In this game the timing is controlled by an action deck that either moves the aliens closer or allows you to issue commands (but since your drone is in a remote part of the galaxy you have to issue commands before you know exactly when they'll be followed. As you kill aliens, they feed into the action deck, either providing you a little help or more likely making life more challenging for you.

ARMADOGON: The Dog Lives On by Krzysztof Sieja
Entry Thread
You are heavily radiated, and you are not going to survive. But for the first time in a long time, you have a goal in your life and you have to race with your disease.

Black Sonata by John Kean
Entry Thread
The identity of William Shakespeare's "Dark Lady" has eluded scholars for over four centuries. But the discovery of new evidence means that you may finally be able to unmask her. Follow the trail of clues and deductions to reveal her before she slips away forever.

Castle Bravo by Marc B
Entry Thread
In Castle Bravo, you are in control of a fledgling nuclear weapon program, attempting to become a nuclear superpower within 20 rounds, (which roughly simulate the early years of nuclear weapon development). You will be allocated with a budget each round, which you can increase by creating excess resources, but your government will lower your budget if your program lacks efficiency. Victory is achieved if you can accomplish each of the 3 objectives set out at the start of the game.

Character Level Up by Scott Allen
Entry Thread
The goal of Character Level Up (recognizing it sounds pretentious) is to improve or level up the character (the mental and moral qualities distinctive to an individual) of the character (a person in a game). Think of it as a self help, or self improvement game.

Critical Fumblers in the Dungeon of Intellectual Doom...and the insanity that awaits them! by Mike Heim
Entry Thread
This is a solitaire, map-making, dungeon crawler that satirizes this genre. Fantasy dungeon crawler. Since this dead horse has not been beaten enough, I took the lamest and most outrageous monsters from my years of playing D&D and combined them with some of our group's more entertaining fumble events to bring you a game about a party of idiots fighting the stupidest monsters ever, all explained in this huge run-on sentence.

Dice Detective by Andrew Hagen
Entry Thread
This is a deduction game using six-sided dice. With seven dice and seven subjects, you can remove one die, and have the other six dice indicate which one is missing. Each die has six of the subjects listed (one per side), and each subject is only missing on one die. When any one die is removed and you roll or set the other six dice, most subjects will appear on five dice, but only one will appear on all six (the same one that was missing on the removed die). I've run tests using just numbers 1-7, and found the deduction element both fun and challenging. It can be even more challenging with 14 dice in 2 colors (7 of each), where 2 dice are removed and both need to be deduced in a time limit.

Dwarf by Lee Broderick
Entry Thread
Dwarf is a worker-placement game for 1-2 players. The available actions change each round, driven by a deck of cards, ensuring that every game is unique. Mine resources, forge legendary items and defend your home from marauding enemies!

Election Control: The Local Edition by Eric Miller
Entry Thread
Digital Version Available
A light and local election contest. It's the last week of the campaign and you must try to gain control of as many votes in key districts as possible to win. Your "auto" opponents are trying to do the same- but mostly just get in your way. You will still have to deal with random events and a possible ever-changing order of who goes first.

Escape from the Abyss by Nick Shaw
Entry Thread
An accident on-board a deep-sea scientific laboratory has left you all alone, under the ocean, with a rapidly reducing amount of air, and with a small but widening hole in the hull. Find tools, fix & manipulate the Automated Robotic Helpers (ARHs) to keep the lab working, all the while searching for the escape pod override codes to allow you to escape before it's too late!

EverSquad by Iffix Y. Santaph
Entry Thread
In EverSquad, you control a Squad of 4 characters trying to protect the earth from an invasion of aliens appearing through a rift created accidently in a 5th grade science project.

Evy against Everything and Everyone Everywhere by Martijn van der Lee
Entry Thread
Evy is a survival-scary-story game about an adolescent girl finding herself fighting a seemingly endless stream of monsters. The game is presented as a story, implementing a simple, fast-paced and hectic survival/RPG campaign.

Expedition to the Temple of Bir Tawil by Alex Cannon
Entry Thread
You are trying to reach the desert temple of Bir Tawil, moving through locations on the map with limited resources. Water and Fuel are essential, as is having Gold to trade with. Your path is guided by a magical device powered by Crystals, and is vital if you want to discover treasures or avoid bandit raids.

Flop by Drew Bowling
Entry Thread
Flop! is a solo puzzle game where the object is to Flip an array of 36 tokens from black to white. The player will take a series of turns where she plays cards to Flip tokens from black to white (or from white to black!). Then the player must select a card to play as the Flop, which is played randomly on the board, throwing chaos into the player’s plans and flip-flopping tokens from black to white and white to black.

Freelancer by Danko Petrovic
Entry Thread
Freelancer is simple, pseudo-worker placement, Yahtzee based solo game of programming freelancing work. You need to organize your time and have a lot of luck to be able to finish the work and deploy project in time.

FUSION: Asteroid Mining by Michael Brettell
Entry Thread
You are a FUSION Pilot. Your goal is to mine Actium from asteroids and trade it for Credits. PRISE Peacekeepers will tax your efforts heavily, so avoiding them is paramount. FUSION: Asteroid Mining is a tile-laying, pickup-and-deliver game set in a time when new solar systems are just being explored.

Grit & Gold by Richard Swan
Entry Thread
Grit & Gold is a lone player’s mine crawling old west adventure. You play a desperate prospector facing off against a horde of bandits – searching their abandoned goldmine hideout to grab whatever gold you can and escape. A dice rolling, tile laying, and movement game.

Hall of the Dwarven King by Robin Gibson
Entry Thread
Hall of the Dwarven King is a sandbox dice game for one player. Each of your seven dice represents the whims of one of your followers, Sometimes they'll feel like mining or building, but just as often, they'd rather drink or get into fights. To do well, you'll need to work around the Dwarves' inclinations, build Taverns and Gaming halls so they'll be happier doing what you say, or just hire mercenaries if you need an extra hand.

Highlands by Scott Allen
Entry Thread
The goal of Highlands is to grow your small empire while defending it from the beasts and other threats. Start with a King, 2 Pawns, and some gold. Use the King to travel, trade, and battle. Use the pawns to gather food, mine ore, and build buildings. As buildings are built, bring the Bishop, Knight, and Rook into play for added power and reputation.

Honey by Joshua Blaylock
Entry Thread
Honey is an abstract strategy game where players lay tiles to make matches of 3 or more so they can create and collect honey. Use strategic tile placement to create large matches and string matches together.

into the dark by Jan Schröder
Entry Thread
Into the Dark is the third part of a series of solitaire games that use a very simple core concept (travelling from point a to point b) to try out (sort of) 3dimensional spaces in which those journeys take place.

Kaiju Siege by Zombie Homer
Entry Thread
You are a warlord in the Edo period, sworn to protect your shogun against all enemies. However, no one is prepared for the emergence of Kaiju attacking castles all over Japan. You command a group of peasants and warriors, with help from your allies, to defend your castle against the Kaiju Siege.

King's Choice by Lord Shadow
Entry Thread
To be King is no easy task. In King's Choice you will make decisions that alter the state of your kingdom. Every choice is either good or bad and may have consequences later. Consequences that might stop your reign after just a few years.

LazerKnight by Christian Lonsing
Entry Thread
LazerKnight is a solo chess variant with a razor sharp edge. You are the LazerKnight! Your whole regiment was slaughtered in a brutal ambush and you are the sole survivor. Sworn to avenge your dead comrades, you sneak through the enemies' territory to defeat them single-handedly. Or at least take as many of them with you as you can!

Little Udon Shop by Robert Clemmons jr
Entry Thread
The Emperor has declared that he is hungry! And he has ordered the building and proliferation of new eateries in Edo! Not everyone can eat everything, but everyone CAN eat udon! It just depends on how they like it spiced! Can you run a successful udon shop AND please everyone, maybe even the Emperor himself? Begin running your own udon shop to find out!

Miner 49r - Dice Game by Joseph Propati
Entry Thread
This is a grid movement/dice placement game where you are a miner searching for GOLD, GEMS, JADE and DIAMONDS. You start at level 1 and as you search each level you progress down to the next level of the cavern. You will be digging within a hex grid using directional movement dice. You have TNT that you can use to blow up granite sections that block your path. Each level has an entrance to the next lower depth and as you dig your way through the cavern you must decide whether you can grab the precious minerals and make it to the exit or just get to the exit before you get stuck!

Movie Studio by Jason Keeping
Entry Thread
You own a fledgling Movie Lot. Develop your movies by buying scripts, hiring actors and shooting scenes. Release your movies to critical acclaim and win awards to earn Victory Points and outwit the AI. But beware! Your movies need to be a commercial success otherwise you won't be able to upgrade your Movie Lot to make bigger and better movies.

Mutt by Jon Paul
Entry Thread
Mutt is a solo card game in which you take on the role of a dog struggling to survive for one year in the wilderness. Your goal is to gather food, recruit fellow mutts and strays, and survive through four seasons, all while defending your home against bears, wolves, and hostile dogs roaming the same wilderness you now call home.

Ninja 1987 Junion Card Game by Aleksandar Saranac
Entry Thread
This is a ninja card game created for the younger players (6+). Player uses the hero cards in order to break through the horde of minions and sidekicks trying to eliminate two villains. No book keeping, dice or counters needed.

Paper Quest: An Absolutely Tear-able Game by John Reside
Entry Thread
You are a Page Wizard. Tearing paper from your "Source", you must defeat monsters and overcome obstacles. Will you gain the crown or end with your magic exhausted? (Easy Printing! NO dice, cubes, or additional materials required!)

Peter Trum the Trumpeter by Reed Ambrose
Entry Thread
Peter Trum the Trumpeter is a solo, dexterity-based game that is not for the short of breath. You are the trumpeter to the king. Disasters and darkness descend upon the land, villagers flee in droves, and it's up to you to alert them to the dangers, bringing them safely into the castle. The fate of the land rests in your lungs, don't blow it.

Planet Home by JS
Entry Thread
In Planet Home, you are in charge of choosing which resources must be developed in order to terraform a planet towards habitability. From your orbital perch, limited time remains to place enough structures, and the very future of your race depends on choice (and chance).

Pod People from Another Planet! by Matt Chesnut
Entry Thread
Pod People from Another Planet! is a solitaire man-to-man science fiction wargame where you, the player, must take your team of elite soldiers and rescue a group of scientists being hunted by the Pod People of planet P-37.

Professor M in the Next Dimension by Iffix Y. Santaph
Entry Thread
The sequel to EverSquad, this game has Professor M and the Alvos attempting to build a portal to return to the EverSquad home city, New Meepleton.

Queue 4 by Drew Bowling
Entry Thread
Queue 4 is a Solitaire Traditional Card Game in a similar vein to more traditional solitaire games. In this game, the player must play as many cards from the top of the deck into one of 4 Queues before accidentally discarding 4 of a kind. To place a card into a Queue, the player must place it anywhere in an existing Queue so that the cards increase in ascending order; the trouble is, the player doesn't get to see the card until he plays it!

Raging Bulls by Mark Tuck
Entry Thread
Whoever thought it was a good idea to put a load of bulls together in one field? Well, yours is not to reason why. It is, however, your job to keep them apart - to avoid brawling bulls and potential injury (to themselves or anyone else for that matter). Raging Bulls is a one page roll and write game.

Risen Osiris by Sweetgotham
Entry Thread
Help Isis resurrect her slain husband, Osiris and defeat the chaos and destruction of Set.

Sci-fertilised by IrishCyborg
Entry Thread
In Sci-Fertilised, the player is attempting to grow multiple plants in high-tech garden beds which speed up growth exponentially. He needs this because he lives on a tiny asteroid in the asteroid belt! The player must keep track of things like pH level and fertiliser in order to make sure that their plants grow well. Some plants will be harder to grow, but will give more Victory Points! If you can grow enough plants before 10 turns is out, you win! But, there could be unforeseen problems, like Space raiders, Comets, and the deep cold of space!

Snowbirds by Brian Garthwaite
Entry Thread
Snowbirds is a hand-management game where you guide a flock of geese along their annual migration south. The flock must manage their limited resources to travel, forage for food, and fight the exhaustion of an arduous journey. Can you lead them safely south?

Solo Adventure Deck by Ryan Byrd
Entry Thread
A low fantasy, story creation adventure. You travel the land gaining experiences and items while meeting people along the way, hoping to be able to defeat the Threat before it takes over the land. You may take odd jobs, shop at the Market, go hunting and fishing, talk to locals, and explore strange things.

Star Troopers: Lost Station by Guilhem Bedos
Entry Thread
Play a bunch of space marines lost in an isolated complex overrun by deadly aliens. Will you find the exit before losing all your soldiers?

The Color Wheel Game by Joseph Propati
Entry Thread
The Color Wheel game is about arranging cubes in specific color patters to obtain a final color layout. You will be moving cubes, swapping cubes and placing cubes on the game card. You will have a limited amount of turns and only a certain number of cubes you can place on the card during play. To win the game, the cubes must be arranged in such a way as to have them stacked [3] cubes high and in a specific order to produce the necessary color pattern. You lose if you are unable to create the specific color pattern in the given amount of turns.

The Mountain by Joshua Jumbles
Entry Thread
The Mountain is a tactical solitaire game about survival, and overcoming adversity. This streamlined push-your-luck strategy game is easy to learn, but challenging to master. Fifteen minutes and a playing card deck are all you need.. to start fighting for your life!

The Vanished Settlement by Caroline Berg
Entry Thread
Ages ago when the past was just being written, a humble settlement was created where the forest met the mountains and a lake pierced the desert. This fabled location was quickly forgotten as people scattered across the land creating other grander settlements. But now the descendants of those settlers want to find their roots, and so they are looking in all locations that fit the description.

A Weaver in the Forest of Wyr by Todd Sanders
Entry Thread
As one of the spellmages, or Weavers of Wyr it is your job to collect the plant ingredients needed for spellcasting. You travel the breadth of the Forest looking for the simple herbs that will be combined into the compounds that are the key to natural spellcasting.

Time Fixer by Eric Miller
Entry Thread
You are a TimeFixer. You and your machine need a break, so you stop on a familiar planet at a familiar time. But something's not right. You need to fix it, but first you need to fix your TimeFixer. How much time can be fixed in the limited amount of time you have?

Tomb of the Dread Lords by Maciej Kozlowski
Entry Thread
Tomb of the Dread Lords is a tactical dungeon crawl - nothing more, nothing less. You will assemble a party of adventurers and delve into dungeons made of 4x4 square tiles to slay undead monsters and get loot.

Trespassers Will Be Shot (TWBS) by Adam Morley
Entry Thread
In Trespassers Will Be Shot (TWBS) you play as Sid, the last human, trying to defend his fortified home from the onrushing alien hordes. This is a dice-based survival game that uses dice to represent the different alien types & additional dice to control Sid’s actions.

Unbroken: A Solo Game of Survival and Revenge by Artem Safarov
Entry Thread
You are the sole survivor of a dark fantasy adventure that went terribly wrong. Wounded and robbed of all equipment you have to navigate the monster-infested catacombs to regain your strength, fashion crude weapons from scraps and exact bloody revenge on the creatures that murdered your friends. Unbroken is a professionally illustrated push-your luck dungeon crawl built around resource management that allows you to overcome foes through a mix of trickery, combat prowess and clever use of skills.

World War Zed by David Kershaw
Entry Thread
This is a strategic level area-movement wargame. You control the US Government responding to a Zombie outbreak. Game includes military, airstrikes, research, refugees, nuclear/chemical options, fortifications, and more. Plus, of course, the zombies which vary in their abilities within and between games.

Games with Digital Versions

Election Control: The Local Edition
Evy against Everything and Everyone Everywhere
Expedition to the Temple of Bir Tawil
Freelancer
Highlands
Honey
Little Udon Shop
Miner 49r - Dice Game
Mutt
Planet Home
Pod People from Another Planet!
Star Troopers: Lost Station
The Color Wheel Game
Tomb of the Dread Lords
Trespassers Will Be Shot (TWBS)

Total Entries
Total Idea Phase Games: 0
Total Component Available Games: 0
Total Contest Ready Games: 50
Total Games: 50
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Riverton
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Please tip this post to contribute to the Best Game by a New Designer Category.

This category is for games created by designers with no previous completed designs in any contest or games previously released.
Note that an exception is made for designers who have only participated in the 24 hour design contests. They are still eligible for this category.

I will contribute 50 Geekgold to this category.

Games in this category
ARMADOGON: The Dog Lives On
Castle Bravo
Flop
Freelancer
Grit & Gold
Honey
King's Choice
Mutt
Paper Quest: An Absolutely Tear-able Game
Planet Home
Queue 4
Snowbirds
The Mountain
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Riverton
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Please tip this post to contribute to the Best Game by a Returning Designer Category.

This category is for games created by designers who have previously entered the Solitaire Print and Play Contest.

Alien Horde
Black Sonata
Character Level Up
Critical Fumblers in the Dungeon of Intellectual Doom...and the insanity that awaits them
Dice Detective
Dwarf
Escape from the Abyss
EverSquad
Evy against Eveything and Everyone Everywhere
FUSION: Asteroid Mining
Hall of the Dwarven King
Highlands
into the dark
Kaiju Siege
Miner 49r - Dice Game
Movie Studio
Ninja 1987 Junion Card Game
Peter Trum the Trumpeter
Professor M in the Next Dimension
Raging Bulls
Sci-fertilised
Solo Adventure Deck
The Color Wheel Game
The Vanished Settlement
The Weaver in the Forest of Wyr
Time Fixer
Tomb of the Dread Lords
World War Zed
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Riverton
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Please tip this post to contribute to the Best Game by a New Solo Designer.

This category is for games created by designers with no previous completed solitaire designs in any contest or solitaire games previously released. Previously released multiplayer gmes are okay. This is just looking for designers new to solitaire design.

Games in this category
Alien Horde
Castle Bravo
Escape from the Abyss
LazerKnight
Peter Trum the Trumpeter
Sci-fertilised
Solo Adventure Deck
Unbroken: A Solo Game of Survival and Revenge
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Riverton
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Please tip this post to contribute to the Best Game Designed in the Contest Timeframe.

This category is for games created by designers completely within the contest timeframe (May 29, 2017 - July 30th, 2017). To be eligible for this category, you can't have done any design work prior to the start of the contest. For example, you shouldn't enter a game into this category if you've written draft rules or created prototype components prior to the start of the contest. However, simply having an idea for a game prior to the start of the contest is fine.

To enter this category, please let me know that your game meets the qualifications.

This category obviously uses the honor system.

Games in this category
Black Sonata
Character Level Up
Dice Detective
EverSquad
Flop
Freelancer
Hall of the Dwarven King
Highlands
Movie Studio
Mutt
Planet Home
Queue 4
Raging Bulls
Sci-fertilised
Snowbirds
Solo Adventure Deck
Time Fixer
Tomb of the Dread Lords
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Riverton
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Please tip this post to contribute to the Best Original Artwork Category.

This category is for games with original artwork created specifically for the game, either by the designer or another artist. Reuse of existing artwork does not qualify.

Games in this category
Critical Fumblers in the Dungeon of Intellectual Doom...and the insanity that awaits them
Grit & Gold
Honey
Miner 49r - Dice Game
Raging Bulls
The Color Wheel Game
The Vanished Settlement
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Riverton
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Please tip this post to contribute to the Best Graphic Design Category.

This category focuses on the game's layout, aesthetics, and functionality of components. This category allows both original work and reuse of existing public domain/creative commons artwork.

Games in this category
Black Sonata
Castle Bravo
Dice Detective
Dwarf
Hall of the Dwarven King
Highlands
Honey
into the dark
Mutt
Peter Trum the Trumpeter
Raging Bulls
Sci-fertilised
Snowbirds
The Vanished Settlement
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Riverton
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Please tip this post to contribute to the Most Innovative Mechanic Category.

This category focuses on mechanics (or combinations of mechanics) that make the game new and unique. When entering this category, please specify what mechanic you feel qualifies for the prize.

Games in this category
Black Sonata
Character Level Up
Dice Detective
Escape from the Abyss
EverSquad
Flop
into the dark
Miner 49r - Dice Game
Peter Trum the Trumpeter
Planet Home
Raging Bulls
Sci-fertilised
Solo Adventure Deck
The Color Wheel Game
The Mountain
World War Zed
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Riverton
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Please tip this post to contribute to the Best Game Playable on an Airline Seat Tray Category.

This category is for games that are completely playable in a very small playing area, such as an airplane seat tray. Approximately 16 inches (40 cm) by 9 inches (23 cm).

Games in this category
Character Level Up
Dwarf
Freelancer
Hall of the Dwarven King
Honey
King's Choice
LazerKnight
Little Udon Shop
Miner 49r - Dice Game
Queue 4
Raging Bulls
Risen Osiris
Sci-fertilised
The Color Wheel Game
Time Fixer
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Riverton
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Please tip this post to contribute to the Best Rule Book Category.

This category focuses on rule book clarity, layout, examples of play, and organization.

Games in this category
Black Sonata
Castle Bravo
Character Level Up
Dwarf
Escape from the Abyss
EverSquad
Grit & Gold
Highlands
Honey
into the dark
Miner 49r - Dice Game
Movie Studio
Mutt
Planet Home
Raging Bulls
Sci-fertilised
Snowbirds
Solo Adventure Deck
The Color Wheel Game
The Mountain
The Vanished Settlement
Time Fixer
World War Zed
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Riverton
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Please tip this post to contribute to the Best Easy to Build Category.

Games in this category will generally have some or all of the following characteristics:
1. Few printed components (typically four or less pages)
2. Simple to assemble (low number of cuts or no assembly required)
3. Can be fully assembled by the average PNP crafter in under 15 minutes.

The guidelines for determining game size are somewhat loose and open to interpretation by design. While I expect our opinions on game size to mostly align, the fact remains that a game that is an easy and fast build for one person may be a more difficult and time consuming build for another. Game size classification will be determined by contest voters and designer input.

The easy/regular/advanced categories are designed to recognize the design efforts of games that might be overlooked for the main prize, either for being too simple or too complex for the average player. Please do not make your games smaller or larger than they need to be simply to qualify for one of these categories. The overall winner of the contest is not eligible to win in these three categories. If the contest grand prize winner gets the most votes in one of these categories, the prize will be awarded to the game with the next highest amount of votes.

Games in this category
Alien Horde
Castle Bravo
Character Level Up
Dwarf
Freelancer
Hall of the Dwarven King
Kaiju Siege
King's Choice
LazerKnight
Miner 49r - Dice Game
Peter Trum the Trumpeter
Queue 4
Raging Bulls
Risen Osiris
Sci-fertilised
The Color Wheel Game
The Mountain
Time Fixer
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Riverton
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Please tip this post to contribute to the Best Regular Build Time Category.

Games in this category will generally have some or all of the following characteristics:
1. Several printed components (typically 10 or fewer pages)
2. Reasonable easy to assemble (cards, multi-sheet boards, single-sided wargame counters, and/or a reasonable number of game components)
3. Can be fully assembled by the average PNP crafter in under an hour.

The guidelines for determining game size are somewhat loose and open to interpretation by design. While I expect our opinions on game size to mostly align, the fact remains that a game that is an easy and fast build for one person may be a more difficult and time consuming build for another. Game size classification will be determined by contest voters and designer input.

The easy/regular/advanced categories are designed to recognize the design efforts of games that might be overlooked for the main prize, either for being too simple or too complex for the average player. Please do not make your games smaller or larger than they need to be simply to qualify for one of these categories. The overall winner of the contest is not eligible to win in these three categories. If the contest grand prize winner gets the most votes in one of these categories, the prize will be awarded to the game with the next highest amount of votes.

Games in this category
Escape from the Abyss
EverSquad
Flop
Highlands
Honey
Little Udon Shop
Movie Studio
Mutt
Planet Home
Snowbirds
Solo Adventure Deck
Tomb of the Dread Lords
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Riverton
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Please tip this post to contribute to the Best Advanced Build Category.

1. Many printed components (typically more than 10 pages)
2. Difficult easy to assemble (oddly shaped pieces, double-sided wargame counters, and/or a large number of game components)
3. Will take the average PNP crafter over an hour to fully assemble.

Games in this category
Black Sonata
Dice Detective
into the dark
The Vanished Settlement
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Riverton
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Please tip this post to contribute to the Best Greyscale/Low Ink Printed Game Category

Games in this category should look nice and be playable when printed in black and white.

I will contribute 25 Geekgold to this category.

Games in this category
Alien Horde
Castle Bravo
Character Level Up
Freelancer
Grit & Gold
Hall of the Dwarven King
into the dark
Miner 49r - Dice Game
Mutt
Planet Home
Raging Bulls
Sci-fertilised
Solo Adventure Deck
Time Fixer
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Riverton
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Please tip this post to contribute to the Volunteer Prize

This category is a special prize that only people who participated in the volunteer program will be able to vote in. This will be the best game as determined by the content's playtesting volunteers.

Games in this category
All games are automatically entered
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Riverton
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Please tip this post to contribute to the Best Wargame Category

Games in this category should simulate a conflict. The game could have a historical, fantasy, sci fi, or other type of theme. The only qualification is that the game must feature a conflict that the player is trying to win against another side.

I will contribute 100 Geekgold to this category.

Games in this category
Alien Horde
EverSquad
LazerKnight
World War Zed
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Riverton
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Please tip this post to contribute to the Best Dungeon Crawl Category.

This category is for games that involve character stat development, exploring, treasure hunting, and fighting bad guys. The theme can be fantasy, sci fi, etc.

Games in this category
Grit & Gold
into the dark
Tomb of the Dread Lords
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Riverton
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Please tip this post to contribute to the Best Worker Placement Category.

This category is for games that have a mechanic where the player must decide where to place/spend workers or resources to accomplish specific goals.

Games in this category
Castle Bravo
Dwarf
Escape from the Abyss
Freelancer
Hall of the Dwarven King
Kaiju Siege
Little Udon Shop
Movie Studio
Planet Home
Risen Osiris
Sci-fertilised
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Riverton
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Please tip this post to contribute to the Best Area Control Category.

This category is for games in which the player has to maintain control of certain areas to gain victory points or benefits.

Games in this category
EverSquad
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Riverton
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Please tip this post to contribute to the Best Best Push Your Luck/Survival Category.

This category is for games in which you must risk progress to continue or decide to forgo a benefit in order to safely bank your progress. This category also includes games where you must try to keep a character alive for the duration of a game (such as zombie games).

Games in this category
Grit & Gold
Hall of the Dwarven King
Honey
into the dark
Mutt
Peter Trum the Trumpeter
Queue 4
Raging Bulls
Sci-fertilised
Snowbirds
The Mountain
Time Fixer
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Riverton
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Please tip this post to contribute to the Best Puzzle/Abstract Category.

This category is for non-thematic or lightly themed games in which you are trying to to solve a puzzle, make connections, capture pieces, etc.

Games in this category
Black Sonata
Flop
Honey
Miner 49r - Dice Game
Queue 4
Raging Bulls
The Color Wheel Game
The Mountain
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Riverton
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Please tip this post to contribute to the Best Paragraph/Story Category.

This category is for games in which the player must look up results to their decisions and/or other events in a Choose Your Own Adventure style. Games such as Ambush, Doctor Who: Solitaire Story Game, Sherlock Holmes Detective Story Game, and The Martian Investigations are all great examples of this type of game.

Games in this category
Solo Adventure Deck
The Vanished Settlement
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Riverton
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Please tip this post to contribute to the Best Traditional Card, Tarot, or Decktet Game Category.

This category is for games that are designed to be played primarily with an existing deck. A few other components such as a playmat or a few cubes is okay. Other print and play components should be kept to a minimum.

Games in this category
Queue 4
The Mountain
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Riverton
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Please tip this post to contribute to the Special Playtesters Prize.

Game designers will be able to use the category to recognize the BGG users who provided the most valuable feedback to their games. Each voter may nominate up to three people for this prize. Nominations will be done shortly before the voting period begins. (Don't save your playtesting for the last minute or else you may not get nominated for this award.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [43] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.