mike heim
United States
Juneau
Alaska
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

For consideration in the 2017 Solo Print and Play Contest

Critical Fumblers In the Dungeon of Intellectual Doom...and the insanity that awaits them! V0710
is a solitaire, map-making, dungeon crawler that satirizes this genre. The inspiration for this game comes from Dungeon and DragonStrike and HeroMaster - Critical Fails.
Artwork is inspired by The Order of The Stick.

The PDF consists of
1 Player Sheet (disposable),
1 sheet of 18 monster cards,
and 6 pages of rules, all in a black and white low ink format.

It takes 10-30 seconds to set up a game.

1 Player
Easy-Medium Difficulty
60 Minutes

PLAYTEST VOLUNTEERS DESIRED

Theme
Fantasy dungeon crawler. Since this dead horse has not been beaten enough, I took the lamest and most outrageous monsters from my years of playing D&D and combined them with some of our group's more entertaining fumble events to bring you a game about a party of idiots fighting the stupidest monsters ever, all explained in this huge run-on sentence.

Components needed
Critical Fumblers PDF
Pencil with eraser
Colored pencil (recommended)
4 small cubes to track inventory items (shovel, dynamite, bandages)
4 small coins (to track hero adventurer health)
12 six-sided dice
-- 8 for dice allocation
-- 2 dice to track mana (one black and one white is recommended)
-- 1 die to track Grit
-- 1 die to track Monster Wounds

Player Sheet v0604 screenshot

Sample v0604 Monster Cards

Additional Considerations
*Best Worst Dungeon Crawler Game
*Best Worker Dice Placement Game
*Best Easy to Build Game
*Best Cheesiest Artwork
* Best Airplane Tray Game (bag of 7 airline pretzels not included)

Cheers and thanks!
MH

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike heim
United States
Juneau
Alaska
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Reserved...for elbow room.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JK
New Zealand
Katikati
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb

Tee hee! Me loves a good campy cartoon romp!

The big challenge with parodies is making the game good enough that its still attractive even after the jokes wear off. I'm looking forward to trying this one, but it won't be till mid June, cos my hands are full until then with the 2 Player Contest.

Good luck!
JK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike heim
United States
Juneau
Alaska
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Minor spelling corrections in v0531

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niklas Hook
Denmark
Coppenhagen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Hook says :"I can paint for you if you need artistic help with you game"
mbmbmbmbmb
I love the take on the crawl.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Herman
Germany
Munich
Bavaria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi!

I just tried Critical Fumblers, but ran into some rules questions which I wanted to clarify before I go on:
1) If the monster gets killed in phase 2b (mana use), does phase 2c (resolve dice) still happen?
2) If the monster gets killed during phase 2c (resolve dice), does the phase immediately end or do the rest of the dice still get resolved?
3) I guess that phases 2a, 2b and 2c get repeated until either the monster is killed or there's a party wipe? The rules don't state it, but it would make sense.
4) I guess that the number in the spell chart is the spells mana cost? The rules in 2b only say "adjust the mana", but not by how much.
5) The rules say "For every 10 gems collected, increase your Grit by one". Does this happen immediately when I collect the 10th gem and is the grit lost if the die already is at a 6? Or may I spend 10 gems to get one grit whenever I choose to?
6) The fumble chart (Agnes 3 and Chester 3) says "Agnes/Chester cannot be protected by Don's shield for the rest of the battle". What is "Don's shield"?
7) The fumble chart (Barnaby 1) says "Lose one resolve". Is that supposed to be "one grit"?
8) I guess the "heal X health" spells can be used on knocked out characters to revive them?
9) The white spell numbered 1 says: "Change one combat result of a 5 to a 4." I didn't see any instances where a 4 would have a different effect than a 5. Is this an error in the spell's description or did I miss something?

A few more things I noticed:
A) The reference sheet says "fumble cart".
B) The rules say that you need 12 dice, but if you want to roll on the fumble chart with all combat dice locked you're going to need a 13th die.
C) If the heroes explorers dice are resolved in the order Don - Chester - Barnaby - Agnes, why not arrange them in that order from left to right on the scenario sheet? And the character battle abilities chart on the reference sheet could have its order reversed, too (with Don on top).
D) When you put dice on the white mana and black mana pool boxes you can't read "White Mana" and "Black Mana" any more. Maybe you could put the writing underneath the boxes?
E) I noticed that the final battle is something special, maybe you could put the quest description, corner room chart and final battle on separate "scenario sheets", so you can have different scenarios played with the same (scenario neutral) rules set.
F) It seems that Chester is a better fighter than Don, and Agnes and Barnaby mostly generate mana but do little else. I don't know how "fixed" the character battle abilities are and if there is much room to change things without messing with game balance, but if there is some room I'd suggest that you integrate more different effects and choices in the chart.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike heim
United States
Juneau
Alaska
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
1) If the monster gets killed in phase 2b (mana use), does phase 2c (resolve dice) still happen?
No

2) If the monster gets killed during phase 2c (resolve dice), does the phase immediately end or do the rest of the dice still get resolved?
It immediately ends.

3) I guess that phases 2a, 2b and 2c get repeated until either the monster is killed or there's a party wipe? The rules don't state it, but it would make sense.
Correct. There is no retreat.

4) I guess that the number in the spell chart is the spells mana cost? The rules in 2b only say "adjust the mana", but not by how much.
Correct

5) The rules say "For every 10 gems collected, increase your Grit by one". Does this happen immediately when I collect the 10th gem and is the grit lost if the die already is at a 6? Or may I spend 10 gems to get one grit whenever I choose to?
It happens immediately.

6) The fumble chart (Agnes 3 and Chester 3) says "Agnes/Chester cannot be protected by Don's shield for the rest of the battle". What is "Don's shield"?
Don has an ability to block all "3" damage next turn, when his resolved dice are a 1 or 2. He uses his shield to do so. However, the fumble does not allow Don's ability to be used on the fumbler.

7) The fumble chart (Barnaby 1) says "Lose one resolve". Is that supposed to be "one grit"?
Correct

8) I guess the "heal X health" spells can be used on knocked out characters to revive them?
Correct

9) The white spell numbered 1 says: "Change one combat result of a 5 to a 4." I didn't see any instances where a 4 would have a different effect than a 5. Is this an error in the spell's description or did I miss something?
I will fix that language shortly. The intent is to change one combat result of a 5 to a 3.

A few more things I noticed:
A) The reference sheet says "fumble cart".
B) The rules say that you need 12 dice, but if you want to roll on the fumble chart with all combat dice locked you're going to need a 13th die.
As you resolve the dice, remove them from the Player Sheet. That should free up dice to roll on the fumble chart.

C) If the heroes explorers dice are resolved in the order Don - Chester - Barnaby - Agnes, why not arrange them in that order from left to right on the scenario sheet? And the character battle abilities chart on the reference sheet could have its order reversed, too (with Don on top).
They can be resolved in any order you wish. I must have contradictory rules in there somewhere. It will be scrubbed.

D) When you put dice on the white mana and black mana pool boxes you can't read "White Mana" and "Black Mana" any more. Maybe you could put the writing underneath the boxes?
Great idea!

E) I noticed that the final battle is something special, maybe you could put the quest description, corner room chart and final battle on separate "scenario sheets", so you can have different scenarios played with the same (scenario neutral) rules set.
I originally thought about that, but the layout now saves 1.5 pages.
I'll look into again though.

F) It seems that Chester is a better fighter than Don, and Agnes and Barnaby mostly generate mana but do little else. I don't know how "fixed" the character battle abilities are and if there is much room to change things without messing with game balance, but if there is some room I'd suggest that you integrate more different effects and choices in the chart.
Yep. I kind of locked them into the D&D classic trope of classes; Barbarian, Bard, Cleric, and Fighter. However, I like the idea of A or B decisions, so I'll pursue that

Thanks so much Nick for a thoughtful and thorough read-thru of the ruleset. I will make sure that these rule clarifications are in the next version. Stay tuned for changes coming in next day or less.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike heim
United States
Juneau
Alaska
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Version 0604 uploaded

*Some rules clarifications

*Minor changes to Player Sheet (so White Mana and Black Mana words can be seen)

*All adventurers have two options when resolving a "1"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Herman
Germany
Munich
Bavaria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent! I'm going to give it a try this evening.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Herman
Germany
Munich
Bavaria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
...and so I played the game this evening.

It took me close to two hours and I only got about halfway through, then I hit a dead end where one corner room was cut off and I had no possibility to get there any more (I'll get to that later). During the game I didn't lose grit - I was close at the beginning with no starting mana and the first monster being a gas spore, but I managed to get health and mana up before anyone got knocked out and after that I rarely got in danger of someone having his health reduced to 0.

First I'd like to say that I really like the new charakter battle abilities chart. It's nice to have options and I really love Don's 1 ability. The only thing I don't like is Don's 2 ability - I got it four or five times but I think it never did anything because no one had a 3 result at the same time - maybe you could change it to "use shield to prevent the loss of 1 health to anyone this round". Chesters 1 ability might be a bit too good - it could be an overpowered strategy to keep him at 3 health (with some well dosed use of white and black mana) to get the big damage output - that should be tested.

On game length: I think the game takes too long for what it is. I don't know what you're aiming for, but if it takes several hours it becomes too repetitive IMHO. I'd suggest to reduce game length by reducing the grid and skipping table C (monster encounter) in any hallways - just a 1d6 roll on a random event table where you can lose or gain stuff like mana, gems or items and then move on (and maybe no camping in hallways).

On combat and grit: I like the combat system very much. It gives you some choices to make, some risks to take and some random stuff that messes with you. But I think the monsters should be more dangerous, by doing more damage on 4/5 results and/or by adding conditions. The Gas Spore is pretty dangerous as it is, but any monster that does only 1 damage without giving conditions is a bit too tame.

On being cut off off corner room: The rules state: "You might be in a room with no exits beside the way you entered, or you might be in a dead end hallway. In that case, you have three options:" And then two of the options are to use a shovel or dynamite. But it is possible that you have no way to a corner room and no room or hallway on the edge towards that corner room that meets the aforementioned conditions, so unless I am mistaken you can't use a shovel or dynamite. If that is the case, I suggest that shovels should be allowed to be used in any hallways and dynamite should be allowed to be used in any room, even if there are other exits.

On corner rooms:
1) The rules state that mechanics are slightly different there. What exactly is different? In a corner room, do I go through all steps 1, 2, 3 and (optionally) 4 as normal and then just add what is descibed under "Corner Room" or do I skip something?
2) If the party is in a room next to a corner room, but the room has no exit to the corner room, is a secret door created or can't I enter the corner room (unless I can use a shovel or dynamite)?
3) If the party wants to leave a corner room, does if have to take the exit that it didn't use to get in?
4) The corner room chart has steps 1-9, 10-99 and 100+. I think that 1-9 and 10-99 will be rather rare and 100+ will be very common. I'd suggest to increase the range of 1-9 and 10-99 to make their results more relevant.
5) Rules should mention that for the 100+ result the respective monster cards should be taken from the deck or discard pile and the deck should be reshuffled afterwards (just to be clear).

And some more rules questions:
6) When I make camp, can I use mana once or could I use it twice (use 2 white mana to heal one character and then do the same with an other charakter)?
7) When I use 1 or 2 black mana for the respective spells, does this trigger Agnes' optional 1 battle ability (...somebody has lost health...)?
8) Barnabys 2 battle ability says "monster does double health damage this round". Does this apply to any health lost during combat resolution this round, even for charakters who were resolved before Barnaby?

And I found some other errors:
A) In the rules under Phase 1: Movement the numbers of the rooms that require a roll on table B are not correct.
B) Agnes' 1 battle ability says "dark mana" instead of "black mana".
C) Don's 3 fumble result says "cannot cancel monster attacks" instead of "can't use shield"
D) The fumble chart still is named fumble cart.

And finally one more suggestion:
Instead or keeping track of mana using dice you could use cubes on a track from 0 to 5. I think this would be a bit faster to use because you won't have to search for the right numbers on the dice. And players already need cubes to track items.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alycia Pretopapa
United States
Easton
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I think I have a couple more things no one else has said yet.

First I also think the length is a bit long. I've only gotten to 1 corner room and it took like 30-45 min.

I was confused at first by the abilities chart until I figured out it must mean you gain light and dark mana.

What happens when combat results in a 0? I was doing nothing. That should be stated clearly somewhere.

How does Don block damage? When his dice result in a 1,2,or 3? Does that mean for dons fumble 3 that he automatically takes damage next turn without needed to roll dice for him? How does he shield other people from damage as I assume he can going by agnes' fumble 3?

Nick above me mentioned the monster table c and I feel like I'm going crazy. I assumed you left that bit in there before you decided to move to cards instead. Where is table C!?!

For the corner room chart it would make things so much easier if you either label the rooms on the game sheet or add the icons to the table. Much easier to figure out which room is which.

Is camping optional? Even if you can't pay the mana do you still get health? What is the mana payment for then? Do you have to camp in corner rooms in order to flip a switch?

Sorry I listed a lot more things than I thought I would when I started writing this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Herman
Germany
Munich
Bavaria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Badger82 wrote:
What happens when combat results in a 0? I was doing nothing. That should be stated clearly somewhere.
Incidently at first I thought that case was left out, too, but then I realized that the rules state "roll on the fumble chart if the result is less than 1" - so a 0 is a fumble, too. Maybe it would be better if the rules would state "if the result is 0 or negative".

Badger82 wrote:
Nick above me mentioned the monster table c and I feel like I'm going crazy. I assumed you left that bit in there before you decided to move to cards instead. Where is table C!?!
Sorry, that's my fault - I'm using the cards, too - I just didn't notice that the rules contain a mistake there when I quoted them... modest
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike heim
United States
Juneau
Alaska
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This is some amazing feedback. I'm going to do some major changes, playtest it myself, likely make a few more changes, test again, and upload a new version when it feels smoother.

It'll be a 5x5 dungeon.
It'll incorporate spell use into normal combat instead having it's own phase.
Monsters will be deadlier as will adventurer attacks for quicker combat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike heim
United States
Juneau
Alaska
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
After a pretty major rehaul, Critical Fumblers is ready again.

I went through three significant changes with myself playtesting until it got to a point where I thought it would flow better.

v0614 changes:
* monsters are deadlier
* Characters have multiple options when they succeed in a combat roll.
* Combat is limited to one round.
* Mana is combined.
* Light is a new mechanic needed to explore rooms.
* You get to choose the exits when drawing rooms.

I hope some of you get a chance to check out the rules or give it a try!
Cheers!
MH

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Alton
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
Paper 'Mech - winner 'Best Overall Design' in the 2016 1-page PNP Contest
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love the art style!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Herman
Germany
Munich
Bavaria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to give it a try with the updated rules soon, but after reading them I have a few questions:
- May the player use more than 1 light to illuminate more than 1 adjacent room before moving?
- When the player gets to a T-section, may it be rotated in any way of his choice?
- Barnaby can do 2 wounds on a 1 or 2 without the use of magic, wouldn't that make the Barnaby spells that do 1 or 2 wounds obsolete?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike heim
United States
Juneau
Alaska
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
May the player use more than 1 light to illuminate more than 1 adjacent room before moving?
Yes. You can use as much Light as you want to illuminate grids that you can reach from your grid. So on the first turn, you could use up 4 Light.

When the player gets to a T-section, may it be rotated in any way of his choice?
You choose the facing of any T-intersection, as long as it doesn't block off a corner room, or try to go off the map (which would just be a dead end instead).

Barnaby can do 2 wounds on a 1 or 2 without the use of magic, wouldn't that make the Barnaby spells that do 1 or 2 wounds obsolete?
Barnaby's Spell will have to be changed, so yes that's obsolete.
His changes will be in the next update:

Mana 2 = Remove one condition from any adventurer
Mana 3 = Transmute any carried item in the party to 3 Gems
(His transmute as a basic 1-2 action will be removed)

Also, you will start the game with 6 Mana instead of 1.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Herman
Germany
Munich
Bavaria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for clarifing that.

I had two runs now, with the first being really short because I managed to roll only hallways and dead ends on the first five mappings and ran out of light.

On the second run I managed to get to all four corner rooms, but after that I opted to flee - Agnes and Don were knocked out and Barnaby and Chester were at 1 and 2 health and I decided that I wanted to be in better shape when I got to my first final battle.

I like the light mechanic, but light seems to be a bit too dominant. In a lot of fights I just tried to get light or mana for a light spell and ignored killing the monster, especially monsters with 5 and 6 health which are hard to kill anyway. Of Barnaby's spells I used the 6 mana spell once (in the beginning), but after that I only used his light spell. Agnes either generated mana or did cast a light spell, with a few healing spells in the mix. I think what I could have done better was using Agnes 6 mana spell, because that would have given me healing and light and overall I might have done better - I'll have to try that out.

And I have a lot of new questions/notes:
- The rules on mapping say "label the room with its first letter", but there are some rooms with the same first letter - stairs down and shrine, prison and portal.
- The rules on movement say "this is required in order to determine when you backtrack" - but the rules don't explain anything on backtracking any further.
- The rules on Chesters level up say "anytime Chester uses dynamite in combat, it does 3 damage instead of 2...". But according to the rules on dynamite it always does 3 damage.
- May the player step into a portal room and don't use it? I'm not sure what portals are there for, anyway, because unless I'm missing something the player could just walk back to the other portal instead of teleporting there(?)
- The rules say that stairs down, T-intersections, deadends, hallways and portals never have monsters, but what about trap rooms and corner rooms? Do they have monsters?
- Since there are spells that cost 6 mana, I take it that the mana die is removed when the player has 0 mana?
- In the fumble c(h)art the "break ranks" results of Agnes and Chester don't make sense anymore, because combat ends after one round and Don can't use his shield on them in the round in which they got the fumble.
- Barnaby's insulting song doesn't make much sense either I guess, because the player can just choose Chester to make light instead of doing damage.
- The rules on "knocked out" still speak of "white mana".
- The rules on party wipe speak of "camp", which, it seems, is no longer possible to do.

A few things on the rooms table:
I think items should be distributed a bit more evenly. If you get a lot of caverns and no vaults, you'll get a lot of gems but no dynamite. And most importantly there should be more light to find as treasure. And a few more rooms could have 3 exits instead of 2, my map had several straight room chains that ended at a dead end or did bend at the edge of the map.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Herman
Germany
Munich
Bavaria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some more: The Gas Spore misses the 3 result in the description and I think its text should be changed to: ...if it flees, it deals 3 damage... Otherwise it is just too tempting to let it flee instead of killing it.

It might be good if more monsters would do bad things when they flee, like deal damage or steal stuff, that would encourage the player more to try and kill them.

kzinti wrote:
Barnaby's Spell will have to be changed, so yes that's obsolete.
His changes will be in the next update:

Mana 2 = Remove one condition from any adventurer
Mana 3 = Transmute any carried item in the party to 3 Gems
(His transmute as a basic 1-2 action will be removed)

I'm not sure if I'd like these spells. I didn't use the (old) transmute once because I never had problems with grit, and with combat lasting only one round the "remove condition" spell isn't very useful.

And I'd like to suggest that you'd review the rules for conditions again under the aspect that combat only lasts one round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Herman
Germany
Munich
Bavaria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yesterday I had onother try. I got three corner rooms, then I ran out of light. I entered a mana pool next to the third corner room with 3 light and 6 mana. I could have used the mana for Agnes 6 mana spell, but then I would have had to let the monster flee so I chose to use Barnaby's 6 mana spell to kill the monster and get the mana right back from the mana pool - I thought I could take care of light later with the renewed mana. But then I lost one light in the corner room and rolled poorly in the next room, so I couldn't get light and the next room was a hallway that used up my last light and it was game over.

It took me about 1.5 hours, I guess a full game would come down to 2 hours. That's more on the "epic" side, but I think the system and overall experience is interesting enough to keep players entertained for that time.

I'm a bit torn on the light mechanic:
On one hand it provides a constant source of concern/thread, which I think is very good. On the other hand a few bad rolls when you're mapping (nothing but hallways, T-intersections, stairs down and deadends) can result in a loss with no chance to do anything about it. And in my experience refreshing light takes priority over killing monsters in combat, which just doesn't feel right.

Maybe if corner rooms would fill up light to 6 and provide some health/mana according to the roll, players would have milestones that buff them up for the next part of the journey and players could risk running low on light/health/mana when they come close to a corner room and instead concentrate more on killing monsters in combat.

One question about light: The rules say that the player loses if he runs out of light, does that mean that he loses the moment that he uses the last light to map a new room, or is it possible to enter that room in hope of regaining some light to be able to move on?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike heim
United States
Juneau
Alaska
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, some more changes thanks to Nick's feedback...and then after trying it out for a bit, even more changes...

V0618 is uploaded and here are the notable changes:

* The Final Battle has been renamed The Final Encounter, since there's a good chance a battle won't even happen.

* Light is easier to acquire.

* The party gets to loot treasure in the room even if they didn't win the combat.

*If the monster escapes at the end of combat, lose 1 Grit.

*Gems are easier to acquire.

*Shovels can create passages from any room or hall (Dynamite is now purely a combat consumable).

*Some changes to the fumbles.

*Some changes to spells.

*More exits possible.

*Portals removed.

*Treasure is more evenly distributed.

*Some monster HP have been reduced.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike heim
United States
Juneau
Alaska
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
V0621 uploaded

*Fixed some contradictions on the Reference Sheet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Herman
Germany
Munich
Bavaria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played one game with the latest version now. I lost in the third corner room because a bad result (less than 0) knocked out 3 adventurers and I lost my leftover 3 grit, but I still enjoyed the game very much.

After I breezed through the first three rooms easily with nothing but 1 and 2 results, I encountered the dreaded flail snail and after rolling four 6's and the rest all 1,2 and 3's everyone had a 3,4 or 5 result and the snail did four damage to each character! Well, these are the kind of stories adventurers tell each other at the camp fire at night, so I don't complain... After that I had a bit of a hard time getting health up again, and at two times I almost ran out of light, but when I finally got that fixed, my grit was running low... Then I eventually made it to the third corner room with three grit left. I got a bad result (less than 0), which knocked out 3 adventurers and cost me my leftover grit. After thinking about it, I realized that if I had placed the dice of the second roll differently, I would have had a 1/36 chance of losing, while my placement gave me a 4/36 chance of losing, so I only had myself to blame. Now I know that corner rooms can be deadly and in the future I will be more causious there.

It was a very tense game, and although I lost, I still had a blast. There were several combats in which I had to ponder if it would be better to kill the monster, or rather to get some mana/light/health - but lose one grit. That's exactly the kind of decisions that make for a tense and involving game, so I can only say that it was an excellent call to have the player lose one grit if he lets the monster flee.

Of course it's hard to tell after just one game, but I think the core rules are pretty solid now. With grit and light both threatening to run out and lose the game, the player has to balance between winning and losing (a few) combats to keep both up.

But I have one rules question: The rules on "Knocked Out" say that at the end of combat, a knocked out character gets 1 health back, but what happens if a character is knocked out by a trap room or corner room effect? Does he have to enter the next combat knocked out and then gets revived at the end of it?

And finally I found a few things that you might want to fix:
- Setup says the player starts with 1 mana - should be 6, unless you changed that back (?).
- Phase 1: Mapping mentions the portal, which isn't there anymore.
- Phase 1: Mapping also mentions "cavern 12" which I guess should be "stairs down and deadends".
- Phase 2: Movement lists the use of dynamite as one of your options if you are stuck, but that's not true anymore.
- Phase 4: Treasure says that a mana pool gives 1d6 mana, which should be 5 mana and 1 gem.
- The level up information of Agnes talks about a "1" result at the end, which should be "1 or 2".
- The Roper monster stuns adventurers in the next round of combat, but unless this is relevant to the final encounter (?), it doesn't happen.

Finally I'd like to say that I think the game is turning out really well and with some more finetuning and balancing it has a good shot at one of the top spots in the contest! So far, well done!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Herman
Germany
Munich
Bavaria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And now I played three more games, to see if my judgement from the post before would hold up.

The first two games were very similar and ended quickly. I left the first corner room with 3 (4) light and when I tried to reach the second corner room I had 2 (3) hallways/dead ends/stairs down in a row and ran out of light.

So my former judgement might have been a bit too optimistic, light can still run out quickly if you hit a row of hallways, dead ends and stairs down, without anything to do about it.

So I began to think what could be done differently. Then I realized that up until then I was just illuminating one room and then moved into it, and when I was down to 1 light, I had no options left but to use it and lose the game. But what if I would illuminate more rooms and left some unexplored, so I would have options to go back to when I was down to 1 light?

So I illuminated all four adjacent rooms at the beginning and tried to use Agnes 6 mana spell ASAP to get back light. Later I illuminated two or three adjacent rooms whenever I was up to 5 or 6 light and had enough exits, so I would always have some illuminated/mapped but yet unexplored rooms to go back to. Technically the rules would not allow this, because the movement rules say "move to an adjacent room", but I wanted to see if it would work out better if I would change that to "move to an illuminated/mapped, but yet unexplored room anywhere on the board" instead.

It worked out well, I was able to go much further. At the end I was just one grit short of the forth corner room, but I was down on light and had only some unexplored trap rooms left to go back to. So I went there and due to some bad rolls I lost 3 grit in that cursed room (1 grit lost to a knockout in combat, 1 grit lost because of the monster fleeing, and 1 grit lost because the trap room once more knocked out the same character that had been knocked out in combat before).

I'd suggest that the rules allow a bit more freedom in mapping and moving around. I think it would be good to rule that in phase 1 (mapping) the player "may use 1 or more light" to "illuminate/map one or more grits adjacent to the current location" and that the rules on movement should say "The player must move to an illuminated/mapped, but yet unexplored room anywhere on the board, to which there is a path to (the player may pass explored rooms to do so)".

And it wouldn't hurt to include a playing tip: "Try to always have some illuminated/mapped, but yet unexplored rooms left to go to whenever you run low on light". That way beginners won't fall into the same trap and just go straight forward without leaving any back up plan, like I did before.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike heim
United States
Juneau
Alaska
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank for the great feedback again Nick. I took your change suggestions to heart

V0626 is uploaded. Changes include:

Rules clarifications as per the previous two posts.
Agnes's level 3 spell increases light by 4
Barnaby's level 1 spell disarms the Trap Room
Agnes combat ability changed to gain 1 mana per hero at full health.
Barnaby's combat ability changed to gain 1 mana per hero below 5 health.
Flail Snail not quite as deadly.
Gas Spore gives +1 light when killed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.