22 Posts

Tiny Epic Galaxies: Beyond the Black» Forums » Rules

Subject: Solo Pilot Hiring clarification rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Godwin
msg tools
mbmbmb
So, the rule book says that the rogue galaxy always hires the leftmost pilot. If they can't hire them they skip this action.

Could you permanently gain that situation? Just make sure that the leftmost pilot is always one that they can't hire?

Or does their second dice activate normally instead? Or should you hire the next leftmost pilot that they do have an opening for?

Also, as a way to add drones, maybe it could be a rule that if they can't hire a pilot they hire a drone for one of their already existing pilots?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Molina
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
John1701 wrote:
So, the rule book says that the rogue galaxy always hires the leftmost pilot. If they can't hire them they skip this action.

You then resolve the 2nd die normally.

John1701 wrote:
Could you permanently gain that situation? Just make sure that the leftmost pilot is always one that they can't hire?

How would you make sure its always one they can't hire? How would you know the pilot to leave there that they aren't going to roll a double for?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Godwin
msg tools
mbmbmb
KingJackalope wrote:
John1701 wrote:

You then resolve the 2nd die normally.

John1701 wrote:

How would you make sure its always one they can't hire? How would you know the pilot to leave there that they aren't going to roll a double for?

If the pilot only has 1 ship and they already have a pilot on that ship, then you could leave the pilot in the line and they couldn't ever buy any more pilots. That happened early in a solo game I played last night.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Molina
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
John1701 wrote:
If the pilot only has 1 ship and they already have a pilot on that ship, then you could leave the pilot in the line and they couldn't ever buy any more pilots. That happened early in a solo game I played last night.

It says the Rogue Galaxy may only hire a maximum of 4 pilots. Doens't say 1 of each ship. I always took it for if it can replace a pilot on a ship it can. Not just 1 per ship maximum. You might replace the 1 ship 4 times in your game and the Rogue would get points for that. Maybe I've been playing wrong. I'm sure we'll hear soon enough from someone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Taylor
United States
Darien
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KingJackalope wrote:
John1701 wrote:

It says the Rogue Galaxy may only hire a maximum of 4 pilots. Doens't say 1 of each ship. I always took it for if it can replace a pilot on a ship it can. Not just 1 per ship maximum. You might replace the 1 ship 4 times in your game and the Rogue would get points for that. Maybe I've been playing wrong. I'm sure we'll hear soon enough from someone.

That doesn't sound right. It seems like that would be a pain to track.

The solo hiring rules do seem a little off.

I'm not sure why the RG doesn't just hire the first pilot it can in the row, starting from the left.

Or hire any pilot in the left spot for any double, whether the ship is applicable or not (treating it like the RG had rolled a triple).

Maybe it is meant to be this last option, but it sure isn't clearly written to me.

BONUS GRIPE: Why are the solo rules in the box?! AARGH!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Molina
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been playing since pnp came out. Why would it be hard to track? If he has 4 pilots... he stops hiring. The pilots themselves are the trackers. This is how I've been playing but maybe I've had it wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Taylor
United States
Darien
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess I assumed you'd discard the pilots, but it's true you don't have to. Still, they'd be covered and you'd lose the clean visual reminder.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Molina
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Once you hire a pilot even if you replace them they are still worth points and still good for your exploration badges.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bård Holst
Norway
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KingJackalope wrote:
John1701 wrote:

It says the Rogue Galaxy may only hire a maximum of 4 pilots. Doens't say 1 of each ship.

Rules say that the Rogue AI will hire leftmost pilot as long as it has the corresponding Advanced Ship type available on Hanger Mat.

So if a particular ship type is not available on the Hanger Mat it will not hire it. This will lead to ways to block the Rogue from getting pilots as far as I can tell from the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Molina
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nusferatu wrote:
KingJackalope wrote:
John1701 wrote:

It says the Rogue Galaxy may only hire a maximum of 4 pilots. Doens't say 1 of each ship.

Rules say that the Rogue AI will hire leftmost pilot as long as it has the corresponding Advanced Ship type available on Hanger Mat.

So if a particular ship type is not available on the Hanger Mat it will not hire it. This will lead to ways to block the Rogue from getting pilots as far as I can tell from the rules.

Seems right. Most important part is actually "On Hanger Mat" I think. Guess I've been letting the Rogue run wild. Dirty cheating Rogue! 8)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Tresman
United Kingdom
Christchurch
Dorset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KingJackalope wrote:
Nusferatu wrote:
KingJackalope wrote:
John1701 wrote:

Seems right. Most important part is actually "On Hanger Mat" I think. Guess I've been letting the Rogue run wild. Dirty cheating Rogue! 8)

Or poor rules

I am not sure if it should read the leftmost pilot it can hire. Also when solo and you choose a pilot do the pilots shift as for Rogue Galaxy or do you just replace the one you have taken.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Molina
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played the shift... but ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Taylor
United States
Darien
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The BtB solo rules clearly say to shift. There's an illustration and everything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Tresman
United Kingdom
Christchurch
Dorset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bullwinkle wrote:
The BtB solo rules clearly say to shift. There's an illustration and everything.

YES for the rogue pkayer but not for the normal player , he plays as per non solo rules unless stated otherwise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Taylor
United States
Darien
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Starman54 wrote:
Bullwinkle wrote:

YES for the rogue pkayer but not for the normal player , he plays as per non solo rules unless stated otherwise.

Ah, I missed that "you choose" part.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big T
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I was over thinking it myself but its actually quite simple. The Rogue Galaxy is only hiring pilots to screw you over and to get VPs. So they take the leftmost pilot and shift until they get 4 pilots.

They dont use pilot abilities anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Taylor
United States
Darien
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Right, but the question is when are they allowed to do that?

Is it when they happen to roll two in a row that work with a ship that the leftmost pilot has on their card? Or is that irrelevant to the point where any pilot will use the ship that corresponds to the "doubles" (in the same way a human player could use triples)? Or is it even more irrelevant than that and any pilot goes to any ship as long as the same symbol was rolled twice in a row?

That last one seems unlikely, of course, as it would certainly have required a bit more rules explanation, but the description in the rules seem a bit more vague than they should be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Molina
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Whatever pilot is left most will be hired for the ship rolled for if it's still available regardless what they are trained for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Taylor
United States
Darien
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KingJackalope wrote:
Whatever pilot is left most will be hired for the ship rolled for if it's still available regardless what they are trained for.

Sounds possible, even if the rules seem a little less definitive than your answer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Molina
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It more than possible. Here is the reply from Scott Almes:

scottbalmes wrote:
KingJackalope wrote:
It looks like I'm the example the Rogue rolls 2 "move a ship" actions. The ship for that action is Intrepud. Regardless of what the pilot is trained in the Rogue hires him for THAT ship if it's still available. Even though Overseer is not trained he'd go into the Intrepid. I've been playing this wrong too but got it now, I believe.

That's correct! When it rolls two of the same dice in a row, it will hire a pilot and place it in a ship of the type shown on the dice (for example, two Colony Actions would get the Nexus) regardless of what the pilot is trained in.

From the thread HERE.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Taylor
United States
Darien
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KingJackalope wrote:
It more than possible. Here is the reply from Scott Almes:

scottbalmes wrote:
KingJackalope wrote:
It looks like I'm the example the Rogue rolls 2 "move a ship" actions. The ship for that action is Intrepud. Regardless of what the pilot is trained in the Rogue hires him for THAT ship if it's still available. Even though Overseer is not trained he'd go into the Intrepid. I've been playing this wrong too but got it now, I believe.

That's correct! When it rolls two of the same dice in a row, it will hire a pilot and place it in a ship of the type shown on the dice (for example, two Colony Actions would get the Nexus) regardless of what the pilot is trained in.

From the thread HERE.

That's more helpful. Although you link is to a thread in the Dark Souls boardgame.

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Molina
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oops! Thanks for heads up messed up 1 number! lol, it's fixed now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.