Hide
5 Posts

Wings of Glory: WW2 Battle of Britain Starter Set» Forums » General

Subject: What planes need to be purchased? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gabriel Mello
msg tools
I'm thinking about purchasing the Battle of Britain starter set but only have space for one mat on my table. I couldn't find a PDF link to the book to get these answers so if anyone could answer these questions I'd certainly appreciate the help. How many scenarios can be played with one mat from the starter set book? Does it matter based on scenario what mat is used and finally, what additional planes need to be purchased to play these scenarios with the 1 only map?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Emmett
Canada
Surrey
BC
flag msg tools
Win it or bin it
badge
Win it or bin it
mbmbmbmbmb
The type of mat doesn't matter, and in fact you don't even need a mat—however you mark the playing area boundaries will work. The mats are just for convenience and show. There are cards in the starter set for ground targets, AA guns, and troops, which the scenarios will use. I don't know the scenarios in the starter set specifically, but one mat is enough space to play many different scenarios, or to have enough space for a four- or six- plane dogfight.

Wings of Glory is an excellent floor game too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Foster
United States
Malibu
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One mat is fine.

You have two planes of either side in the starter set. That is plenty for one to four players. I find flying two even hurts my head.

You have a few choices for add-on planes. The He-111s and Ju-87s give you bombers to solo against. Hurricanes give you an alternative British fighter. There are other contemporary (to the BoB) planes in the WoW mix, but not interesting to me, British bombers & night-fighters, a biplane.

One other thing: to fly in realistic formations, you'd have four German fighters / three British fighters together. This would be unbalanced, tho. IIRC by the end of the BoB, the British were learning to fly finger fours (four planes in two sections of two) also. So maybe four of each. I have 4 Me-109s, 3 Spitfires, and 3 Hurricanes. Plus 2 Ju-87s and 2 He-111s.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Angiolino
Italy
Rome
European Union
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No plane need to be purchased. You may buy more if you wish, or have your friends buy them if many of them want to join your game sessions. But even with just the four planes in the box you can play dogfights, bombings, ground attacks. This is why we depicted the !09s with bombs, as "JaBos" - fifghter bombers. The three such scenarios included in the scenario booklet are just examples, you can easiliy variate them and design more.
At www.wingsofwar.org a 4.000-people community shhares additional scenarios, advices, optional rules and so on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Mello
msg tools
I appreciate everyone's input. The game system seems really solid and I especially like the lack of dice. I'm in!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.