Hide
3 Posts

Deception: Murder in Hong Kong» Forums » Variants

Subject: Forced Time Limit to Pace the Game and Balance rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ammon Sarver
msg tools
3 Rounds total, like a normal game. Designate someone to be a time keeper (Forensic Scientist may be a good choice). Requires a timing device. Each round consists of the following:

- Evidence Collection (2 minutes) - Open discussion begins after first clue is given by the forensic scientist. Scientist may put down as many clues as desired during this time. (Not required to place all 6)

- Presentation Phase (30 sec or less per person) - After 2 minutes everyone gets up to 30 seconds to make a case. Time keeper politely interrupts person that exceeds 30 seconds and asks next person to begin.

After rounds 1 and 2, the forensic scientist can swap out one of the orange clue cards (even if there is a bullet on it, forensic scientist regains the bullet).

Accusations can be made at anytime. However after round 3, if there are still accusations to be made, players only have 30 seconds to accuse, otherwise they forfeit the option and the murderer wins.

We have found that by forcing the time limit, the game feels much more balanced as opposed to stacked against the murderer. And the game doesn't take forever! I've heard of some rounds lasting an hour and a half. At that point it's no longer fun. Experiment with different time limits for your group. We've settled with the above timings. Other options include shortening the second and third evidence collection periods.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan Yanyo
United States
Evansville
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Huh, we've just always played this way, with a timekeeper and 30 seconds of presentation per player each round. I thought that was in the rules as written, but looking at it closely, I guess it just says that 30 seconds for presentation is just a guideline.

The only thing we don't do is have a time limit for the Forensic Scientist placing out clues (and they have to use all 6 bullets), but generally that doesn't seem to take that long. We don't have strict timekeeping between when the FS finishes placing out clues and when presentations begin, but generally try to keep it to 1-2 minutes.

I can't imagine a game of Deception lasting longer than 15-20 minutes total; that would just be painful. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Monsen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
EYanyo wrote:
I can't imagine a game of Deception lasting longer than 15-20 minutes total; that would just be painful. shake

Welcome to this thread:

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1762581/20-minutes-who-...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.