Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gary Beason
United States
Carrollton
US
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In another thread, I said that I was working on collecting & rewriting the Too Many Bones rules in a more reference-friendly format. The official does a good job of introducing the game and the parts, but I found it less useful when trying to find answers to questions.

Page 1 summarizes setup, phases, and turns.

Pages 2-6 are an alphabetical list of topics which pull together info from the original manual, the Adventuring Guide, character sheets, official videos, and BGG threads.

For folks who are interested, I have the first 2 pages ready for review:
https://goo.gl/Qcd5N4

I've pulled together the info on each topic that I could find, but please note anything that I might have missed.

Likewise, I've proofread these pages, but I could have missed things.

I'm primarily proofreading pages now, so I'll updated the link above with pages as I finish them.

FWIW, I've spent several days on this rewrite (more than any other game aid than I've created before). I appreciate all the clarifications that CTG have provided, as well as so many members of this forum.

UPDATE 7.29.17: I've uploaded a new version with all 7 pages to the same link.

Fixed items noted below. Thanks, folks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T Owen
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Gary. This is pretty cool and an impressive undertaking.

I noticed one possible issue under Bots. In your "example" you use Hardy, but what you describe is Thickskin. Unless I am misunderstanding what you wrote 😁.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Wilhelmi
Germany
Husum
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First of all, great job! Thanks!

IMO the winning (or losing) conditions should be mentioned.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wray Ferrell
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks really good.

Reference, Bots, 4th bullet. ororder should be order
Reference, Bots, first sentence after 4th bullet. Doesn't read quite right. "...skills might effect once". Maybe "...skills might only trigger once"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent Pakvis
Netherlands
flag msg tools
Great so far!! Really appreciate that you take the time and effort to make this for everyone out there

Question from my side (I ordered my copy, 2nd print, read alot of documents about the game and watch alot of the video's of TMB)but the next sentence I don't understand ;

Chapter Buffs;

- HP Buffs can be stacked as long as the Active slot has room.

So what I don't understand is, since HP buffs are placed in the prep area, how does this work with the active slots?

Maybe you can give an example?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremiah
Japan
Okazaki
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Vincenl83 wrote:
Great so far!! Really appreciate that you take the time and effort to make this for everyone out there

Question from my side (I ordered my copy, 2nd print, read alot of documents about the game and watch alot of the video's of TMB)but the next sentence I don't understand ;

Chapter Buffs;

- HP Buffs can be stacked as long as the Active slot has room.

So what I don't understand is, since HP buffs are placed in the prep area, how does this work with the active slots?

Maybe you can give an example?

In most cases the buff hp is associated with a skill die placed in an active slot, for example Patches' stim kit. The actual buff hp is put in the prep area, but a die has to be in an open slot for the hp to be placed there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Beason
United States
Carrollton
US
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
@Vincent: Actually I was thinking about clarifying that last night when I was trying to remember when Buff HP was cleared. Duh. It's cleared when its Active Skill Die is removed at the end of battle.

So, I added an extra comment about the Skill Die providing the HP. (There's a card that gives buff HP, too.)

I also fixed some typos. (Sheeeesh.)

I'm considering a summary list of what happens in terms of clearing dice and such, maybe part of the Phase section, the Combat Round section, or even its own small section.

Also, if folks can confirm any of the items that I have in red, I'd appreciate. I'm continuing to look. I feel like the answers are somewhere.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremiah
Japan
Okazaki
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
gbeason wrote:
Also, if folks can confirm any of the items that I have in red, I'd appreciate. I'm continuing to look. I feel like the answers are somewhere.

In the encounters section, the bit about gearlocs remaining KOed I'd say is confirmed in a response from Adam on my question about encounter 5. https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1761664/solo-encounter-5-qu...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wray Ferrell
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Page 1, Search for Better Loot, 5th line is orange text, I assume it should be red?

Page 3, Compound. Is the fatigue round consider R5 or R6 for this skill?

Page 3, Dexterity Dice. I would suggest renaming to Dexterity since, to my knowledge, there are no dexterity dice.

Page 4, Encounters, 5th bullet. Should PHASES be in blue or is there a reason it is orange?

Page 4, Initiative dice placement for R1. The 3 bar green symbol should be on the next line.

I wish it was July and I had my copy...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Beason
United States
Carrollton
US
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wray wrote:
Page 1, Search for Better Loot, 5th line is orange text, I assume it should be red?

Yes, it should be red.

Wray wrote:
Page 3, Compound. Is the fatigue round consider R5 or R6 for this skill?

Fatique rounds start "after R5." So, it's no longer R5. I've counted the Fatigue rounds as 6 for this skill. But I've debated the round numbers & Compound as well. You could make a case that the round numbers continue to increment. But the Round Die is a d6 so I played that Compound only goes to 6.

This might be worth confirming with the designers.

Wray wrote:
Page 4, Encounters, 5th bullet. Should PHASES be in blue or is there a reason it is orange?

Yes, all the references are color coded to match the heading. A subtle way to help folks find the right heading.

FWIW, I'm considering adding page numbers to the cross-references when I prep the final version. The doc is just long enough to warrant it, though everything except the first page is in alphabetical order.

Wray wrote:
Page 4, Initiative dice placement for R1. The 3 bar green symbol should be on the next line.

That's fixed in the most recent update. You must have the slightly older version. In Publisher, images float and aren't attached to the text. So, I have to check and manually adjust them.

Wray wrote:
I wish it was July and I had my copy...

On the upside, spending time with the rules and these forums, you're going to have a lot fewer questions when you play.

This game has been a great treat, especially after I was disappointed in Arcadia Quest: Inferno. And I'm eagerly waiting on 3 Kickstarter games over the next 3 months (Near & Far, 7th Continent, Swords & Sorcery, and Darkest Night 2e). I thought TMB might be mainly a fill-in game while waiting, but it's definitely going to be a staple game for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bruns
United States
Naperville
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The question about compound in the fatigue round is answered on the adventure guide sheet. It specifically notes that it is = 5.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't really understand this at all: "Gearlocs remained KO’d for the next Encounter until they are revived or healed after a successful Encounter".

Does it mean that if you are KO'd solo, you lose an extra day?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremiah
Japan
Okazaki
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
ekted wrote:
I don't really understand this at all: "Gearlocs remained KO’d for the next Encounter until they are revived or healed after a successful Encounter".

Does it mean that if you are KO'd solo, you lose an extra day?

If you don't (or can't because of certain encounter conditions) revive yourself before the next day, you will be unable to perform combat encounters because you don't have any hp. If the next encounter is not combat based, however, you would be able to attempt it, per Adam's clarification.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nox Noxley
Germany
Waldstetten
flag msg tools
Is it possible that the link does not lead to the complete file? I can only see 4 pages although it reads on the bottom line "page 1 of 7". Additionally there are some mentioned cross references like e.g. "targeting" and "pets", which I cannot find anywhere...

But apart from that: Great work and an excellent gaming help!!

Cheers,
Nocturnus

Edit:
Found an error in the "initiative dice during battle" section: "After R1, units.... *All gearlocs, Tyrants and 20p. baddies enter at the TOP spot..."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Beason
United States
Carrollton
US
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I appreciate folks' patience for this effort, but a few things at work and home interrupted this effort. I have gone through the CTG revisions of their docs and reference sheets, incorporating things that have come up. I've proofread it a couple of times, but I know I need to go through it again.

I have also used this as I've played, including a recent session with all new players (and new questions!). I found this much easier to answer questions while playing than even the revised rulebook. The index is nice, but in terms of usability, I have to go to the index, go to the first page listed, and (if I don't remember the second page -- hey, I'm an old guy!), go back to the index.

With the alphabetical listing, I can skim a predictable organization for the topic and don't have to go to multiple pages (unless it's to go to a related topic).

Also, I'll look at creating an A4 version.

After I've reviewed and updated it, I'll add this to the files section.

Use the link in the original post to view the current version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodney Somerstein
United States
Willow Grove
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Gary! This is going to be a fantastic resource while playing this game. As much as I love the games that Chip Theory produces, they definitely need some help with rules writing; especially with being useful as a reference when playing. What you have taken the time to do here is create exactly what is really missing from this game.

Thank you for all the time and effort you have put into this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Kuzniar
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a typo on page 3 in section Consumable Dice, it says "Ghillie's Cameo Die" rather than "Camo Die".

Thanks for all your efforts! Super helpful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Beason
United States
Carrollton
US
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Now I want a cameo die. Summon any character for a one-time action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Carlson
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I bet Ghillie put that in there on purpose while we weren't looking!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.