6 Posts

Arkham Horror: The Card Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Fast actions while engaged rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Not Telling
msg tools
Two quick question here,

1. Do you "fast actions" count as an action that will cause retaliation while engaged with an enemy? I'm specifically thinking of playing Mind over Matter, but this question extends to any Quick lightning bolt actions. I played assuming it wouldn't cause a retaliation but wanted to double check.

2. What about the free action from Daisy's ability to read tomes one a turn? I sort of assumed that in this case you would get hit by retaliation since it is regularly a normal action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's worthwhile to clearly distinguish "Attacks of Opportunity" (which I think is the subject of your questions) from retaliation, i.e. the activation of the Retaliate keyword ability that appears on certain enemies. Assuming that we're talking about the former, the answers are:

1) No, fast cards do not provoke Attacks of Opportunity when played. (Rules Reference, p. 12)

2) Yes, Daisy's ability requires an action, albeit a bonus action, and it will provoke an Attack of Opportunity when she has an engaged enemy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Not Telling
msg tools
Yes I had meant an Attack of Opportunity not retaliation, thank you - your answers are how I played it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Jacobsen
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
who longs for oolong
badge
You are excrement. You can change yourself into gold.
mbmbmbmbmb
Precise wording and keywords are essential to define and differentiate in LCGs. While Carthoris correctly answered your questions, here's a few points worth reiterating:

Fast- doesn't require an action to put into play. Fast events- played when card says is legal and happens away. If asset, played at any player window during your turn. Fast cards still might require an action to trigger the ability. No Attack of opportunity for putting it into play (maybe/maybe not for triggering ability).

Free triggered ability- the lightening bolt symbol- May be used during any player window as designated on RR p.23 and p.26. Still might require an action to put in play unless it also has fast ability. Does not cause AoO.

Reaction- looping arrow- mostly ditto to above, but in reaction to a specific designated occurrence, rather than a player window. No AoO.

Action triggered ability- straight arrow- does formally take up an action. Can cause AoO (unless fight, evade, parley, or resign). You can gain bonus actions through various cards like Daisy. These bonus actions can cause AoO.

All defined investigator actions not included in above list trigger AoO: investigate, move, draw, resource, play, engage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D H
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
SJacobsen159 wrote:
Fast- doesn't require an action to put into play. May be used during any player window as designated on RR p.23 and p.26.

Don't forget that fast assets may only be played during your turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Jacobsen
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
who longs for oolong
badge
You are excrement. You can change yourself into gold.
mbmbmbmbmb
Gaffa wrote:
SJacobsen159 wrote:
Fast- doesn't require an action to put into play. May be used during any player window as designated on RR p.23 and p.26.

Don't forget that fast assets may only be played during your turn.

Very true. I amended my entry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.