Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
1 Posts

Gloomhaven» Forums » Variants

Subject: Creating a cinematic ending (this has spoilers about the end of the game) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jacob Lewellen
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mb
One of the things I like about this game is its cinematic quality. I have heard folks compare it to role-playing, and frankly, if that is why I bought it, I would have hated it. I love role-playing, and this ain't it.

What it is, to me, is the board game equivalent to a good video game role-playing game. The intro and conclusion texts are cutscenes, the town stuff has limited options, and then you get to the heart of it...planning how to take things down. Granted, I have not played Euro board games, but if this is like them, I should.

I explained that so you would see that I love this game, and the following is not a complaint. I finished the main plotline, as well as all other scenarios, and I felt like...is this over? There was no huge cutscene about how it all ended. There was text about ending the bad stuff, but not all I wanted to see...so I am thinking about creating it.

The rest of this will be in a spoiler box. Please do not read if you have not completed scenario 51 and the Town records book (or are willing to be spoiled):
Spoiler (click to reveal)
At the end, it mentioned that the Gloom did not have a form of its own.
I am thinking of having it come back one more time.

The general idea will be:
Requirements: Completion of Town Records Book.
The first text will be that the Gloom is returning. Dominic has figured out a way to bar it from entering our realm. We have to go get some item from some far off destroyed temple. I am thinking this will actually be three linked adventures. I am leaning toward random dungeons. At the end, we have the item.
Then, we do essentially scenario 51 again. This time, though there are ling bones in the first room, living corpses and living spirits in the left room, and the final room only opens once you have defeated them. Then, you face the Gloom, but this time it is merged with your first retired character!

It will intentionally be very difficult. I completed 51 last time on "hard", but I see this being something that folks can brag about beating it on "easy".

What do you all think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.