Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Greg Colgan
Australia
Perth
WA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok gamers, it's time to share your embarrassing little gaming secrets concerning great ideas to customise games that seemed a good idea at the time, but which you now look back on.....and cringe.

To get the ball rolling, here....ahem.....is mine.
As a teen back in the 70s, one of the first wargames I had the pleasure of purchasing (after scrimping and saving) was SPI's Battle For Germany.

Now, about this time I had seen a WWII war film on the telly...I can't remember what film it was....perhaps The Longest Day. Anyway, there was one scene where senior officers at headquarters watched as flags representing military units were moved across a table containing a large map of Europe. Man, I thought that was cool....and so I soon became determined to emulate it with my good old copy of Battle For Germany (sigh).

Here's how I made it happen. First, I raided my Mum's sewing box to get lots of these:

....and a large map-sized piece of polystyrene that had come from a new washing machine or something.

Well, I then took those pins and - like nailing bugs on an entomologist's display board - skewered the left hand side of each unit counter and then used sticky tape to keep the pins in place (!). I then proceeded to put two small holes in to every map hex, for the purposes of guiding the sticking in of my newly made flags, so that I didn't perforate the map to death. As if I hadn't done enough......

Well yep, I was proud of myself and I have to say that the results looked pretty impressive....just wish I had a photo of it now to...umm...laugh over.
Sadly, it wasn't long before some of the pins started to rust. Hadn't thought of that.

I came up with the perfect containers for carefully storing my newly created flags too:

I had many long and enjoyable hours watching my flags - which as an added bonus, smelled like tic tacs - march their way across Europe, repairing the occasional counter after a pin liberated itself from the enclosed cardboard. Ooops.

Somewhere along the line - I forget where - the game and I parted company. I think my mother took advantage of me leaving town to attend University, to 'clean up'. Yep, there were two banes of every gamer - mothers and the vacuum cleaner. So, my wargaming 'game crime' was erased from history....until revealed to you now.

I never did get anyone to play a game of my super enhanced version of Battle For Germany. Just as well I guess...it could have led to the further 'enhancing' of a number of other games...and changed the hobby forever. Or not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
When I was 12 I had a chess set and a box of Airfix plastic soldiers. Seemed like a brilliant idea to try to combine the two. Seemed. There's a reason BGG is littered with failed attempts to make a better chess as it's both "obvious" and very, very hard.

My first successful conversion/adaptation came a bit later and was for the game Clue(do) - I had determined that the slow movement was the most un-fun part that made this game drag on. So we changed it from rolling 1D6 to 2D6. I was (and still am really) proud of that first game modification.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Stueber
United States
Vernon Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
I am the Sheepdog. I live to protect the flock and confront the wolf.
badge
BRAINS????
mbmbmbmbmb
Years ago I had a great idea to make a board for all the magnetic "C" pieces I found for cheap so I could play games on the wall. No need for a table seemed like a great idea. Bought three sheets of sheet metal at the hardware store and glued them to particle board. Seemed like a great idea while I was doing it.

However, when the metal was glued to the particle board the boards warped. Now I had three metal boards that would not hang evenly no matter how I tried to bend them back into place. Plus, the boards were fairly heavy so I ended up laying them against the wall and had to play while sitting on the floor.

To add insult to injury I never knew at the time that you could buy a white board that was magnetic from the office supply store that came with hangers on it to hang on the wall and that was almost as cheap as I spent at the hardware store. blush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United Kingdom
Sheffield
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I clipped the counters from a game once. God forgive me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Vasey
Scotland
Mortlake, London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
moujamou wrote:

He might, we won't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Charles Vasey wrote:
moujamou wrote:

He might, we won't.

"God does, but I don't
God will, but I won't
That's the difference between God and me."
- Lyle Lovett's song "God Will"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim F
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Who knew trench warfare could be such fun?
badge
Ashwin in front of Tiger 131
mbmbmbmbmb

I got fed up with the stacks on my first wargame falling over so I blue tacked them all together.

If the blue tack was feeling kind it just left a nice oily residue on the counters. If it got upset it would refuse to separate the counters until one of them had donated it's top or bottom to the other counter.

It was also quite tricky moving the stacks as they got stuck to the map, although they did make quite a satisfying plopping noise as you picked them up. Especially while angry.

It was a disaster and rather than scraping the blue tack off them all after playing with them I threw them in the box and pushed it under the bed.

About a year later the box and the counters were rediscovered and thrown into the bin.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Szarka
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
When it is your turn to send a VASSAL move, the wait is excruciating. When it's my turn, well, I've been busy.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm just going to say that even drafting tape doesn't magically unpeel from a map it's been attached to for several weeks.

I'm glad we have abundant, cheap plexiglass now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Zurunkel
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought The Eagle and the Sun. Don't judge me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Gates
United States
Essex
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Westie wrote:
I bought The Eagle and the Sun. Don't judge me.

I bought The Civil War (Fresno Games version) despite knowing all about the game and its faults. Upon receiving it, I learned why it was being sold for $1: I overlooked the part where it was missing the map.

EDIT: Forgot the part that applies to the topic of this thread. I bought the game off eBay because, even with shipping, it was around $10. I figured that was a pretty good deal for the maps and those counters, and I could use the components for other projects, or try to fix the rules, But, as I noted, I missed the part on the eBay sale page that said "No maps."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Townsend
Italy
Roma
Lazio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the only historical wargame I bought as a teen was an SPI quad of WW2 North Africa games. It was all too dry for me so l used felt tip pens to draw terrain for playing Ogre all over them. The backs of many counters were used for extra ships for Starfire.
I still have the games, something in me wanted to play them 'one day', only now I can't... unless Rommel can negotiate the great pits of burning lava and swamps of festering stenchipoos.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew N
United States
Rochester
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I once used the map from Flashpoint: Golan for a school project in 6th grade. I wrote on it, and tacked it up on a wall with push pins. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought it would be great to make Pacific Victory into a deluxe, large block edition so I got a ton of (really cheap) 25mm columbia blocks and stickered those instead (to be fair, the stickers don't fit great on the 20mm blocks . . . ) but now I have to stack them like 2 or three blocks high in the hexes.

Oops.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Irish not Kraut!
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I ended up using the map from Cold War Battles: Budapest '56 & Angola '87 as a cat toy whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul C
England
Northener
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ashiefan wrote:

I got fed up with the stacks on my first wargame falling over so I blue tacked them all together.

If the blue tack was feeling kind it just left a nice oily residue on the counters. If it got upset it would refuse to separate the counters until one of them had donated it's top or bottom to the other counter.

It was also quite tricky moving the stacks as they got stuck to the map, although they did make quite a satisfying plopping noise as you picked them up. Especially while angry.

It was a disaster and rather than scraping the blue tack off them all after playing with them I threw them in the box and pushed it under the bed.

About a year later the box and the counters were rediscovered and thrown into the bin.

I soloed GDW's "Their Finest Hour" with all the maps and charts blutacked to my bedroom wall over several weeks. I had the same experience as Jim with the counters, but amazingly, very few stacks fell off.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Willcockson
United States
Woodstock
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For a while I was into using a very high-tack spray adhesive to mount my paper boards on big sections of dry-wall, trimmed and then framed along the ragged edges with black or silver duct tape. Thought it worked pretty well other than the map-sheet for TSR's Battles for the Ardennes which was completely ruined in the process by lots of bubbles forming on the map (SPI’s War in Europe and War in the Pacific I did earlier but were ruined with substandard adhesive mounted on substandard cardboard before I got the bright idea to use drywall) I did Advanced Third Reich and Terrible Swift Sword, Red Barricades, Across 5 Aprils, European Theatre of Operations, Pacific Theatre of Operations and perhaps a few others. Still have all of them although I began to become dimly aware that doing that sort of thing was creating a stack of huge, heavy, massive cumbersome and difficult to store objects so I gave it up. Eventually replaced all of the game maps I have given this loving attention to except for Battles for the Ardennes, Terrible Swift Sword, War in the Pacific and War in Europe which I was never able to replace. Thankfully I discovered those poster frame kits at K-mart.

Other than that I also spray-painted all the blocks from my original copy of Commands & Colors Ancients. The Romans have to be red, darn it, not gray. Who ever heard of gray Romans. And Carthage needs to be purple and Persia dark blue. Even went on BGG to proudly announce it whereby some wag quickly shot back with the ditty: "Romans are red, violence is blue I want my Persians a different hue" Very funny. Of course when I started adding additional modules to CC Ancients I quickly saw my error and since I was no longer in the mood to spray paint all those blocks even before stickering I eventually re-bought the first volume. Still have my re-painted version. The only other block game I did that for was Asia Engulfed because I thought the block colors they used were pretty poor. No apologies on that one, I like my version much better.

The only other thing was underlining in many of my old AH and SPI rulebooks with a felt tip pen. Most of those rule books are unreadable now. Why did I do that!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Colgan
Australia
Perth
WA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I must also confess that the first wargame I ever bought was Tactics II.
Good grief! And thank goodness my love for these games survived THAT experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Marl
United States
Pissburgh
Taxsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
moujamou wrote:

Many would say that NOT clipping counters is a sin.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.