Too Many Bones» Forums » General

Subject: Not enough basic dice? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
T Owen
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good morning all,

Let me start with.....the more I play and learn the little ins and outs of this game, the better it keeps getting. Love it!

That said, I am curious about future plans for CTG TMB components and here is why:

Yesterday my nephew and I played 2-handed (4 Locs total between us). We were fortunate to grab the Encounter that lets you use one x as xx. We chose to take this option as we had been pretty successful on our march towards Mulmesh. Our intent was to use this encounter to unlock innate +1 (this was day 4 or 5 I believe). We managed to open 3 of 4 of the +1's.

At this point, we were doing so well that we were all holding bones regularly for specific BA plans and Picket was able to hoard dice to Shield Bash with tremendous glee.

This leads to my inquiry.

We started running into situations where we did not have enough basic attack or defense die to roll the last few encounters (7 & 8).

CTG did you run into this in play Testing? If so, what were your thoughts?

Any possibilities that these base dice will be available as a side purchase say 5 to 10 of each kind?

Or......am I crazy and the only person to experience this rare situation🤡.
Granted, it has only happened once in my plays thus far but I can see this being a possible consistent issue with the longer adventures.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T France
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
2 things:

1 - if one bone counts as 2 you are putting bones dice in every second space on the track, correct?

b - you're clearing bones after each Encounter?...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T Owen
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for replying.

The 1 for 2 bone was noted only because it really unlocked picket's innate +1 which now can tie up 6 or 7 defense die?

Yes, we were clearing after each encounter.

Literally we had 4 characters a few different encounters where Picket would be loaded for a shield bash and all the other locs would have their back up plans where they were full or almost full as well.

Then we would go to roll our dex worth of dice (needing attack or defense die) and not able to maximize a roll or have the baddies with 5 attacks and not have enough dice.

First time this has happened to me since I started playing. We were able to get Mulmesh before the last day but any longer and it would have been a continuing problem. I am really wondering about Morrow, Goblin King or especially Duster due to length of play.

Yes, we could remove die and just replace them, but that opens up opportunity for error.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T France
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also I believe the rulebook recommends swapping out attack for defense dice (and vice versa) in your backup plan as needed...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curtis Lemmons
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
So I know it usually says slot each die into a square. I actually just put one die in as a counter and that is it. So if I have 5 bones, I just put one bone in the 5 spot of the BP. That might help?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2007/03/28
mbmbmbmbmb
Only use a single bones die per character to track the number of bones. Just put it in the slot to indicate how many bones you have (e.g., put it in slot 3 to represent that you have 3 bones).

Edit: ninja'ed. That'll teach me to answer my phone in the middle of a reply.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T Owen
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
@Chris/Curtis - duh! Why didn't I think of that. Kills me when the simplest solutions are in front of my face.

@Brian - So the dedicated bones die solution is also possible. This is why I asked what CTG might be thinking about this. I was thinking a way to Pimp my game would be to find or make bone die for that purpose. Don't want to though if something is coming along in that fashion. You would only need 24 for 4 characters. Unfortunately they wouldn't be so Pimp cause the TMB die are already really nice.

I am glad to hear someone else has experienced running low.

I think Chris/Curtis get bragging rights for their simple solutions though!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Dumas
United States
Warrensburg
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cbrua wrote:
Only use a single bones die per character to track the number of bones. Just put it in the slot to indicate how many bones you have (e.g., put it in slot 3 to represent that you have 3 bones).

Edit: ninja'ed. That'll teach me to answer my phone in the middle of a reply.

This may work but there is one case that you need to keep in mind if doing this - and that is double bone dice (which should only be from skill dice).

When you put a double bone die in the track you skip over a space then place it. When using the bones for a BP, you remove the bone dice from left to right - meaning you take out of the first dice placed. If the first dice you placed was a double, you would skip the first space and then put the double bone dice in the second place. But if you use the BP that only costs one bone, then you would remove the double bone dice even though you only needed one of the bones and not get to keep the extra bone it generated. (see instructions page 11 under heading "Multi-Bones Dice").

You would need to account for tracking these instead of just moving the single bone dice up two spaces on your BP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Boyen
Belgium
Leuven
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cyclopticox wrote:
So I know it usually says slot each die into a square. I actually just put one die in as a counter and that is it. So if I have 5 bones, I just put one bone in the 5 spot of the BP. That might help?

This might work if it are all bones from from regular attack/defence. You can have different interactions with skill dice. As already indicated, double bones work slightly different, and there are item cards that let you return an exhausted skill die. This should only happen when it shouldn't be in the backup plan.

In general, I would suspect that with the replacement rule for bones, and the flow of the game, you don't have that many occasions where there are too few dice. You would expect that not everyone is fully loaded on defence and bones in the backup plan at the same time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marius Friedrichs
Germany
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Exo Desta wrote:
lowlight wrote:
Yes, we could remove die and just replace them, but that opens up opportunity for error.

Maybe grab a handful of tokens to put in the Backup Plan in place of bones, for the next time this happens? Cool-factor would drop considerably, but you'd keep your bones-integrity intact at least.

I wonder about, for a future edition of the game, using dedicated "bones dice" to populate your backup plan (ie. roll a bones on any die? Put a "bones die" into your backup plan and put the original die back where it belongs)

Playing 4 characters alot, I get low on Attack Dice too sometimes.

Man, now I really want to have dedicated Bone Dice. CTG, are you listening?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Carlson
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We are always listening.

Give it a few months. There are things in motion that will make your concerns but fading 1's and 0's in the BGG ether.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T Owen
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
YEAH!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marius Friedrichs
Germany
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Takeoutdinner wrote:
We are always listening.

Give it a few months. There are things in motion that will make your concerns but fading 1's and 0's in the BGG ether.

Woohoo! Sounds great! laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Irwin
United States
Bad Axe
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would just like the ability to purchase a few more attack and defense dice. That would be great!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan A
United States
flag msg tools
jirwin wrote:
I would just like the ability to purchase a few more attack and defense dice. That would be great!

I would be surprised if additional attack/defense dice were not included in an expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.