1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Discussing Retailers

Subject: Of retailers jacking up prices on small print runs. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Donald M.
United States
flag msg tools
I've noticed some OLGS jacking up the prices on games that have been sold out elsewhere or all over. Some maintain their integrity and sell at the usual discount or normal puce though,

As a consumer I am annoyed by this. I know it is their choice but I'd rather wait it out for the 2nd print run providing the price is still reasonable.

Are you patient enough to wait if you missed a game or do you pay the going rate?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oiler1 wrote:
I've noticed some OLGS jacking up the prices on games that have been sold out elsewhere or all over. Some maintain their integrity and sell at the usual discount or normal puce though,

As a consumer I am annoyed by this. I know it is their choice but I'd rather wait it out for the 2nd print run providing the price is still reasonable.

Are you patient enough to wait if you missed a game or do you pay the going rate?

I'm all for it. People pay what they choose to pay, stores sell for what they can sell. When the two meet, it's sweet music.

How about when items are deeply discounted... should we shame the buyers who take advantage of the misfortune of the retailer?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Speicher
United States
Potomac Falls
VIRGINIA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i'm fine with this, online stores have more flexibility to adjust prices. the same reason you get the discount you normally see, is the same reason they can adjust their prices upwards as well.

If you want a normalized price, go pay MSRP at a barnes and noble/FLGS.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Who Am I?
Canada
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I choose not to buy when prices are higher than I want to pay.
So how is this a problem again?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave J
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It has nothing to do with their integrity.

You'll going to spend $100 to get free shipping anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Arthurs
United States
Simpsonville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Supply and demand. When availability decreases, prices increase. Something is worth whatever people will pay for it. This is why these same sites have clearance sales.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Simpson
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They are running a business and it is in their best interest to make that business as profitable as possible. They're not selling board games for the good of the world, they want to make money like everyone else. If no one purchases at their "inflated" prices, they'll reduce the price.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
mbmbmbmbmb
surprising there hasn't been any other threads on this topic to date
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Cook
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
On the one hand, good for them. I hope they make lots of money on OOP games. Yeah capitalism! You are dead wrong with your integrity comment.

On the other hand, heck no I'm not paying those prices. Tons of good games out there at lower prices for me to pick up. Yeah capitalism!

PS - for what it's worth, I'm much less a fan of capitalism when it comes to stuff people need. But for hobbies like board games, bring on the free market.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My only complaint is when suppliers intentionally restrict supply to drum up hype which creates a massively overpriced (relative to retail) black market.

(I'm looking at you Nintendo)

At the end of the day it's purely supply and demand. When you run a business you charge whatever people are willing to pay.

While you may remember them as overpriced, you also will remember them as the only place you could find what you needed. (Assumption being that's why you're even considering an 'overpriced' purchase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that it's annoying, but capitalism will find a way. Each store has to determine if the extra profit is worth the business they lose. If it is, they'll keep doing it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hans Moleman
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
I was saying boo-urns
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Assuming their is another print run...but yeah, I don't really see the problem here:

If you want product A, you must give up X-dollars.
If X-dollars less than/equal to your perceived value of product A then buy
If X-dollars greater than your perceived value of product A then don't buy

Easy. Nothing is forced, no integrity lost. General concept here that applies to virtually everything. Obviously, if you dislike a stores method, don't buy from there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Daly
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
Oiler1 wrote:

I'd wait for a reprint.

I guess I'd also ask you--if you had a rare or out of print game you no longer wanted, would you sell it at MSRP (or below MSRP, to reflect its used status), or would you get as much as you could for it? I'd get what I could for it. But your answer might be different.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reed Dawley
United States
Delmar
New York
flag msg tools
Playing more games is better!
badge
Collecting games is not playing games!
mbmbmbmbmb
I support my FLGS as long as they are up front about it, there has been one game I have paid MSRP for: Terraforming Mars, they said there was no discount because the supply is low right now, that there would most likely be another print run and the discount would apply then if I wanted to wait. I paid full price, have not played it yet and the next run is in store. I don't worry about it as my FLGS is the best.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leon Z.
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cone Defense wrote:
My only complaint is when suppliers intentionally restrict supply to drum up hype which creates a massively overpriced (relative to retail) black market.

That's a false assumption. Nintendo (or board game publisher) will make a certain amount on each game/system sold through retail channels, but they make $0 from black market. They already made the money when they sold their good to the first buyer, and won't get anything when it's re-sold at a higher value.

Most of the time the lack of supply is due to risk, ie board game publisher don't want to overproduce a game they can't sell out. Or in nintendo's case, just can't produce systems fast enough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald M.
United States
flag msg tools
If I am a seller and have always sold at my normal prices, then notice the games are OOS everywhere do I raise my prices? I talked to one retailer and they do not raise their prices. Their current profit margin is fine. This is what I mean by integrity. They could have made more but choose to keep a reasonable price for others at their expense. There are nice people in this world!

Also if the game comes back in stock, people remember those who jacked up their prices and may tend not to buy as much from them again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oiler1 wrote:
If I am a seller and have always sold at my normal prices, then notice the games are OOS everywhere do I raise my prices? I talked to one retailer and they do not raise their prices. Their current profit margin is fine. This is what I mean by integrity. They could have made more but choose to keep a reasonable price for others at their expense. There are nice people in this world!

Also if the game comes back in stock, people remember those who jacked up their prices and may tend bot to buy as much from them again.

You are confusing nice with business. Recheck that.

Also, why don't you just buy from nice retailers, since you are fond of them. I guess if they don't have the title you want, then you can keep your integrity, but won't have the game you wish. Good thing about these problems - you have choices, and none of them lead to important consequences.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald M.
United States
flag msg tools
What's with all these personal inferences? I am just stating how I feel and I am sure others may feel the same way. Of course people can do as they wish but all actions have consequences.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Dunn
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. I don't have a problem with it. Law of supply and demand.
2. I won't pay it, unless it will never be printed again.
3. It's no worse than people pledging for two copies of a game and then charging 10 times the amount for the game, when the creator could have set aside 10-50 games to do just that, but chose not to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave J
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oiler1 wrote:
What's with all these personal inferences? I am just stating how I feel and I am sure others may feel the same way. Of course people can do as they wish but all actions have consequences.

I think the only issue is not your preference but your definition and use of the word integrity.

To say someone lacks integrity, in my opinion, is a serious accusation and shouldn't be thrown around lightly.

You're totally free to be upset and rant about their business practice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Sweeney
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oiler1 wrote:

Also if the game comes back in stock, people remember those who jacked up their prices and may tend bot to buy as much from them again.

I'm a retailer, just had this conversation with another retailer the other day. I'd never raise the in-store price because obviously it doesn't matter what I think about it, if a customer perceives it as unfair that's bad news. LGS's that run into this and want the cash pull the games and sell them from an unaffiliated account on amazon or ebay.

I've never done that, I sell them in store at the sticker price. Not because of integrity though - but because it makes me look like the good guy. I've posted pictures to social media before "Hey, looks what I have!". It's like having a sale without losing the margin.

The online market for games in a 3-headed demon spawn hell cat for LGS - because of companies overprinting games and more so exercising poor distribution practices I'm constantly in a position where I have to sell products at a price lower than what I want to, so I've certainly thought about pulling stuff to balance it out. If the price difference is ever high enough (like - if I'd had a gloomhaven left over, which I didn't) I'd definitely sell it online. Zero integrity concerns. I own the game - it is mine. If I'm going to give it to someone for $120 when I could get $300 for it online, that is absolutely no different than straight up giving someone $180. I could argue that you would lack integrity to expect someone to give you what is theirs for less than what it's worth - that's not an attack just fully flipping the perspective in case it changes a mind
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Rietveld
United States
Zeeland
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
typo360 wrote:
[q="Oiler1"]To say someone lacks integrity, in my opinion, is a serious accusation and shouldn't be thrown around lightly.

I personally believe stores should not play around with prices based on low supply, but I consider it merely poor business practice (and plenty of business people will disagree with me). Integrity has nothing to do with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ryocho wrote:
Cone Defense wrote:

That's a false assumption.

It's a logical inference... when you look at Nintendo's past 3 console launches. So "false" may be a pretty strong imperative here... (hype/black market may be in best interest if it leads to an increased units after restock happens, but the alternate theory would be they have incompetent demand planners; gave them the benefit of the doubt)

Alas, that's not the point of this thread.

As others have said pricing is something that's tough to pin solely on a retailer. Blame goes to manufacturing, suppliers, distributors, retailers and consumers. Each chain takes a cut and expects the next chain to be content with the new threshold. Unless one piece of the path, changes how they operate, it's a simple supply/demand curve.

There are other things in pricing that I can see getting mad about (exclusive, etc.), but at the end of the day, everyone is to blame for how things get priced. If you're going to say a retailer's integrity is damaged, it seems that should be a transitive property to the consumer who is willing to pay it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Earl
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jwspiker wrote:
i'm fine with this, online stores have more flexibility to adjust prices. the same reason you get the discount you normally see, is the same reason they can adjust their prices upwards as well.

This.

It's ironic how the same people who love to take advantage of the below-MSRP pricing common for an OLGS suddenly have a problem with the occasional above-MSRP listing for a hard to find and in demand game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Rietveld
United States
Zeeland
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cheng wrote:
jwspiker wrote:

This.

It's ironic how the same people who love to take advantage of the below-MSRP pricing common for an OLGS suddenly have a problem with the occasional above-MSRP listing for a hard to find and in demand game.

I think a lot of people buy into a narrative that discounters offer great prices because they are nice, and therefore those who offer higher prices are less nice. A little something dies inside them when their favorite retailer does something contrary to expectations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.