Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Bayes
United States
O'Fallon
MO
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
So descent was one of the first games i bought when i started my collection. but i have yet to play more than a few random quest. This weekend me and some friends will start a campaign. 5 people total. ill be the overload but the other 4 havent played at all. what would you guys think be the best/fastest way to teach them the rules? Show them Rodney's watch it played? send them the rule in pdf? Just play First Blood?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Steinbach
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Starting a full campaign is a big commitment. Certainly if you havent played at all. You should consider doing 1 or 2 practice quests first. Maybe "first blood" and "a fat goblin" just to get familiar a bit.

Then I suggest to start over (maybe even with new heroes and classes) and play the heirs of blood campaign.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Bayes
United States
O'Fallon
MO
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
a few months ago we ended a pathfinder game and started playing board games, we play every weekend so it shouldn't be that big of a issue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sean
msg tools
mbmb
Rodney's Watch It Played will probably save you time, he's always an excellent teacher.

Having run three different campaigns of it myself, my recommendation would be to let you players choose a character and class, run the initial pair of quests, THEN have them actually choose the character/class they will run through the campaign. Every single campaign, we have someone who winds up saying "I wish I'd have chosen something else..."

You could always let them choose a new character, and spend the same amount of XP...but gear won't necessarily work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Corley

Utah
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The first mission of the 'Heirs of Blood' campaign is designed to ease players into the game (I don't know if that's true for the 'Shadow Rune' campaign or not), but that might be the best place to start.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kallan Greybe
msg tools
If you can handle Pathfinder, Descent won't be a problem as far as rules are concerned. Watch Rodney's Watch It Played and make sure you have a copy of Sadgit's spectacular CRRG sitting somewhere readable to double check rules, and your players will get in the swing of it pretty quickly. The only people who have struggled in our drop-in, drop-out campaign at the local meetup have been people who don't really game at all, though keep an eye out for people being quiet and letting other people play for them because quarterbacking is a real problem in this game and a recipe for people becoming disengaged.

For the first couple of games remind players of a couple of key strategies: gold is as important as experience; surges can recover fatigue; use fatigue to give heroes multiple attacks whenever possible. When it comes to skill choices rule of thumb is free actions are *huge*, as are extra dice on attacks.

As for heroes, there may be some sub-optimal choices, but on the whole they're almost all competitive. Giving players the option to change heroes and skills mid-campaign isn't a huge deal, especially for new players with builds that just aren't working, and as long as you swap archetype for archetype you shouldn't have equipment problems, though you may have to do something about characters such as the Skirmisher or Treasure Hunter which have equipment dependent skills.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.