16 Posts

Tiny Epic Galaxies: Beyond the Black» Forums » Rules

Subject: Dwarf Planets, Hidden "In-Game Points" rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Peter Ellis
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"In-Game Points" are points which count toward the 21 point end game trigger (If I am reading the rules correctly).

Planets and Empire level are "In-Game Points",
Secret goals (and Satellites) are not.

Pilots and Drones are "In-Game Points"
Exploration discs are not, except for Dwarf Planets

Collected exploration discs are kept face down near the players tableau. It makes sense to me that face down exploration discs do not count as "In-Game Points".

I am having a little trouble with face down Dwarf Planet exploration discs that do count as "In-Game Points".

I am considering a house rule where either
a. They don't count as "In-Game Points",
or
b. that after collected they stay face up in the player's tableau.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ingersoll
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dwarf Planets, like all Exploration discs, are revealed before they are collected. Everyone knows when a player collects a Dwarf Planet.

The discs are kept face-down for badge collection purposes as far as I can tell.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Antonio
Honduras
flag msg tools
Unless it was changed last second, I believe exploration cards are kept face up near your hangar. They are only placed face down in solo play when drawing for the rogué galaxy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Ellis
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Totihno wrote:
Unless it was changed last second, I believe exploration cards are kept face up near your hangar. They are only placed face down in solo play when drawing for the rogué galaxy.

From Page 7 of the instructions under "After Exploration"
"it is then collected and kept face down near your Hangar Mat."

the bold is from the text

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GAF Blizzard
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
MavWeirdo wrote:
Totihno wrote:

I can confirm this is in my rules as well.

I know other players see the point originally, but the drawback to this is that the person teaching and running the game cannot as easily check to see if someone has reached 21. This makes it more likely that someone will go "Oh I was supposed to end the game last turn, I forgot about my dwarf planet" and then it's a pain to resolve that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GAF Blizzard
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Also this is especially confusing because there are non-dwarf danger exploration cards that ALSO give you exploration points, so I would be asking players to remember only certain of their face-down exploration disks count for triggering the end of the game?

*edit* Either way, I guess the scoring mat is supposed to help make this easier to remember?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Molina
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Regardless of type they go face down.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Antonio
Honduras
flag msg tools
MavWeirdo wrote:
Totihno wrote:

Oh so they change it. I have not received my copy so I have only the rulebook sent through the kickstarter update and in there it says face up. Wonder why they changed it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Antonio
Honduras
flag msg tools
Just wanted to share the rules extract I have.

http://i.imgur.com/A6ZDFpX.jpg

I dont see the logic in the change. If it is to hide the exploration badges then we would have to hide the pilots also.

I think I´ll play it like it in the original rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gideon Stargrave
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Totihno wrote:
I dont see the logic in the change. If it is to hide the exploration badges then we would have to hide the pilots also.

Hiding the Pilots wouldn't work because you need to see the text of their special ability. Once collected, the text on the Exploration Cards is irrelevant.

The Exploration Badges on the Pilots don't NEED to be hidden just because the Exploration Cards are - if I only have 1 Pilot but 5 Exploration Cards, you really don't have any sort of idea what Badges I may or may not be leading on. If anything, it's great because it helps psyche out the other Players.

Anyhow, with that said you definitely SHOULD feel free to play it however you like - it's your game after all, and having everyone's Exploration Badges be public knowledge doesn't break the game in any way... it just makes the end-game reveal a bit less exciting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Antonio
Honduras
flag msg tools
kingmob75 wrote:
Totihno wrote:
Just wanted to share the rules extract I have.

http://i.imgur.com/A6ZDFpX.jpg

Hiding the Pilots wouldn't work because you need to see the text of their special ability. Once collected, the text on the Exploration Cards is irrelevant.

The Exploration Badges on the Pilots don't NEED to be hidden just because the Exploration Cards are - if I only have 1 Pilot but 5 Exploration Cards, you really don't have any sort of idea what Badges I may or may not be leading on. If anything, it's great because it helps psyche out the other Players.

Anyhow, with that said you definitely SHOULD feel free to play it however you like - it's your game after all, and having everyone's Exploration Badges be public knowledge doesn't break the game in any way... it just makes the end-game reveal a bit less exciting.

Ive actually been giving it some thought and its not really a big deal, a simple solution is to simply keep the exploration cards that yield victory points face up and the rest face down. Still the majority of badges would still remain a secret.

And yeah I know hiding the pilots is not viable I was just trying too make a point
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Antonio
Honduras
flag msg tools
I think I found a solution that will give me peace of mind

You will at most be able to see a couple symbols and keep the rest hidden and still keep easy track of VP just in case
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Patterson
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The use of the scoring track seems to remove the problem. A dwarf planet is revealed, the score marker is moved, then the dwarf planet goes face down. What else needs to be done?

I just got my copy yesterday, so haven't had a chance to play yet, but I think I'm really going to like the scoring track. It takes time towards the end to do the score checking, so seeing where things are at a glance should help speed things along.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Molina
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scoring track is nice! I use it playing regular TEG too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gideon Stargrave
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KingJackalope wrote:

Same here - I actually printed it out when it was included as part of the original Premium PnP files and I've been using it ever since. I was using some generic cubes in the 5 player colors, so it's nice to have proper matching score tokens included in BtB.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Molina
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kingmob75 wrote:
KingJackalope wrote:

Same here - I actually printed it out when it was included as part of the original Premium PnP files and I've been using it ever since. I was using some generic cubes in the 5 player colors, so it's nice to have proper matching score tokens included in BtB.

Same here I'm 99.9% solo player and just had a blue and red square cube. I always am blue and fight that red horde! I just got my BtB about 30 min ago. Can't wait to get home and give it a proper go! I love the Aurora ship, looks fantastic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.