Popular Tags: [View All]
Subatomic Birdicle
United States
flag msg tools
*chirp*
badge
*squawk*
mbmbmbmbmb
Curious if people have an opinion on the "designed by backer" cards and their quality compared to the ones designed by the designer.

I have already removed Convergent Evolution from my game, since it seems useless and just clogs up the Evolve Pool, and now two games in a row the Deinonychus' Den card has had an extreme effect. In my current game it was the first Environment card after the Emergences and it gave me 7 Flesh Wounds and a Severe Trauma (and no benefits). Seems ridiculously harsh and random compared to all the other Environment cards I have seen - it just trashed a promising game. Not sure whether it is worth the time of playing on or whether I should just ignore it and replace it with another Environment card from the box. In the previous game (a 2 player game) it really mauled one player with a ton of afflictions and not the other player, having an unwelcome unbalancing effect on gameplay.

I am now viewing all these "Backer" cards with suspicion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David A
United States
Yorktown
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've not had a problem with the Deinonychus Den, but I do share your feelings about Convergent Evolution. I don't care for that one at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kimchi fried rice
United States
Uptown
New York
flag msg tools
AKIMBO!
badge
반갑습니다!
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Smart
msg tools
So I originally designed this card with multiplayer in mind with some application in single player. I thought it would be really cool to actually get Dinos from other players to use against them and saw some pretty interesting synergies. In solo I had the 1st edition and had a huge problem with losing some key cards from the hatchery and thought it would be nice to get them back. So yeah I can see where you all are coming from and in hindsight would have changed the evolution points used to pay for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kimchi fried rice
United States
Uptown
New York
flag msg tools
AKIMBO!
badge
반갑습니다!
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the card has a very interesting trick and I appreciate the thought that went behind designing it. I could see it potentially catapulting a hatchling rush to borderline OP in multiplayer games when everyone is busy eliminating said cards.

While situational, it has a place, at reduced evolve cost as stated. As a self-replacing card priced at 2 evolve, I could see it having utility in solo games paired with metabolic growth, when hatchlings in hands are the goal.

In fact, I'm going to try it and see how it goes!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Moore
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
mbmb
fixibloodhunter wrote:
So I originally designed this card with multiplayer in mind with some application in single player. I thought it would be really cool to actually get Dinos from other players to use against them and saw some pretty interesting synergies. In solo I had the 1st edition and had a huge problem with losing some key cards from the hatchery and thought it would be nice to get them back. So yeah I can see where you all are coming from and in hindsight would have changed the evolution points used to pay for it.

Bit expensive for not being able to draw a card like many other Evolve cards, but it is a life saver when fighting Tyrannosaurus minions. I had not considered taking an opponent's eliminated apex card, as it makes little sense but hey, that is the mechanic for you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.