Zombicide: Green Horde» Forums » General

Subject: Few questions. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike B
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I have never played a Zombicide game before so my questions may sound stupid.

1. Green Horde a sequel to black plague? how much does it differ? Why get this over Black Plague if I am new to the games?

2. Replay ability I watched the play through and they keep mentioning scenarios... other games I have played with scenarios once you beat them they are boring and predicable what happens the next time through

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
QorDaq H'Nter
msg tools
tlhIngan QujwI'
badge
vay' DaneHbogh yIchargh!
mbmbmbmbmb
xsabrewulf wrote:
I have never played a Zombicide game before so my questions may sound stupid.

Welcome to Zcide Mike.

xsabrewulf wrote:
1. Green Horde a sequel to black plague? how much does it differ? Why get this over Black Plague if I am new to the games?

Sequel is kind of a misnomer in the history of Zcide games, as each new core set is both expansion and stand-alone.

In other words, one could buy in with whatever is current and be fine.

That said, from what we have been told and seen so far, I expect that Zombicide: Green Horde (Z:GH), will be a bit tougher than Black Plague was (Z:BP).

As to the meat of your question, I'd kind of recommend checking out Black Plague first honestly.

The good news is that you can easily locate Z:BP now and see if you like the overall system. Locate meaning either find folks who are playing, like at your FLGS for example, or if you're brave even pick up a copy. Since Z:GH won't be around for AT LEAST a year, you have time to look into it.

xsabrewulf wrote:
2. Replay ability I watched the play through and they keep mentioning scenarios... other games I have played with scenarios once you beat them they are boring and predicable what happens the next time through

So historically, the core boxes tend to have 10 "Quests/ Missions/ Scenarios" in them. None of which are legacy or anything, and the back story for each Quest is fairly minimal.

Where you get your replayability is through the range of different survivors you have to play with, and the random nature of how the board evolves during any given playthrough.

Additionally, CMoN and Guillotine Games have a fair track record of providing some downloadable extra missions over time (Free from their website), and there is a VERY active fan community here at BGG that puts out lots of content as well.

So, with a little effort and research on your part, you should be able to find plenty to keep you and your game group going. Add to that the fact that Green Horde will be fully compatible with Black Plague, and you have even more to play with. The Black Plague missions are in the Rule Book, which is free for download as well, and one could, in theory, play the Z:BP missions with Z:GH or vice versa.

So yeah, replayability is definitely there.

I don't know if any of that will be useful, but I would that you are satisfied with whatever decision you ultimately come to.

And again, welcome to the crazy that is Zcide!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Nolin
Japan
Nakamachi, Hiroshima
Hiroshima-ken
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are only going to get one, then Black Plague would be better, as it has the most neutral map tiles. The tiles for GH look to be more specialized. There is also the option of getting in on this KS, then getting a set of BP map tiles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Wilhelmi
Germany
Husum
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zombicide is a sandbox game, meaning there is a lot to tweak in each session.

The choice of characters can make a difference. Some characters are stronger then others, some are weaker. This way you can ramp up the difficulty or make things much easier.

The same goes for the zombies. You can add some nasty stuff (archers, more abominations, more necromancers, etc.) until every scenario becomes quite a challenge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flo Heisenbrain
Germany
München
Bayern
flag msg tools
I am the one who mods!
badge
Are you pondering what I'm pondering?
mbmbmbmbmb
I would recommend you find store/friend that has black plague and find out if you like the system. You could also watch game plays or something.

If you like it and don't mind waiting a year to get GH, it will be probably a better value than picking up stuff at retail.
BP with only base game can get repetitive, but as I reached that point all the KS stuff came and with that you have plenty of different ways to play it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yan Bertrand
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Black Plague becoming a bit repetitive after 10+ plays. As far as I'm concerned:
- when I got the game I was very, very excited and loved my first 4 plays. Did I mention you don't feel cheated when you open the box and see the amount of components? :-)
- thus I bought Wulfsburg and some deadeye walkers.
- But to me Wulfsburg, like others have said, doesn't really bring a lot of novelty to the gameplay, has 2/4 survivors that I like, rather ugly minis except for the Wolfbomination, a set of tower tiles & rules that haven't been used to bring something new so far as I can tell, and maybe 1-2 scenarios in the rules that bring something new compared to core Black Plague, and thus I wouldn't recommend it for its price.
- The archers, on the other hand, are an added threat for a reasonable price. I quite like them. Their minis are OK too.
- I also started painting the minis, which is a bit crazy seeing how many there are. And I started seeing for real how their level of details are actually limited compared to other minis, but done probably just right so that a lot of players won't notice until they are told that.
- After 6-7 missions, I'm more or less on auto more while playing them. I have an established strategy (thatcan still fail with bad luck of the draw/roll, but overall seriously works). Which is where Zombicide disappoints me. All of the core scenarios can be beaten with a single strategy / awareness.
- The other part I was disappointed with was the lack of variety in zombie behaviour. Necromancers are a really neat addition, because they have their own agenda and don't just "move towards survivors". The rest feels very mechanical after a few plays. There's a lot of "upkeep work" in that regards, because there are a lot of minis on the board, and there's not really anything that streamlines a round here.
- My group and myself always need a lot of time to play a scenario (from the rulebook). When I play with 2-6 friends, we're in for 3 to 5 hours; and I wrote "3" because it happened once, but we're more towards 5.
- The scenarios from the rulebook are... well you read the intro text and it sounds nice, but after that there's setup instructions, and then the game plays. So no real story, little-to-no "trigger this and then you are going to have to do something totally different because that big even occurred" etc. They feel pretty bland to me after 6+ plays.
- Scenarios from the kickstarter campaign (available from the editor's website) are much more original, but a few of them require that you have the kickstarter bonuses (i.e. the abominations extension, or multiple abo's that were a KS-exclusive, etc). And they are more difficult, too. So that's where I'd look for replayability.
- In all honesty, I haven't looked at fan scenarios on BGG that wouldn't be posted on the editor's site - I'll have to do that.

Overall, if you ask me where I'm at with Black Plague currently, after 14 plays:
- I'm a bit burnt with the game
- Last game took 4h, and I have so many other games I'd like to play.
- Most of my friends laugh hysterically when I suggest we could table it (except 1).
- There are a darn lot of minis to paint and I'm not sure I'll survive that ordeal.

I originally marked the game as a 9/10 for me. I'd downgrade it to 6/10 nowadays. I might sell it before I'm done painting the minis.

EDIT: I don't expect Green Horde to bring anything new to the gameplay mechanisms / experience (apart from the Horde, which I would expect to add more unpredictability & difficulty without really changing the core strategies you cal go for). I'm pretty sure the Zombicide community will disagree. I however reserve my final opinion until the game is actually on player's tables.

This is just one man's opinion, of course. The game gets a lot of love. Your playing group's experience may vary, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emivaldo Sousa
Brazil
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Herman92 wrote:
I agree with Black Plague becoming a bit repetitive after 10+ plays. As far as I'm concerned:
- when I got the game I was very, very excited and loved my first 4 plays. Did I mention you don't feel cheated when you open the box and see the amount of components? :-)
- But to me Wulfsburg, like others have said, doesn't really bring a lot of novelty to the gameplay, has 2/4 survivors that I like, rather ugly minis except for the Wolfbomination, a set of tower tiles & rules that haven't been used to bring something new so far as I can tell, and maybe 1-2 scenarios in the rules that bring something new compared to core Black Plague, and thus I wouldn't recommend it for its price.
- The archers, on the other hand, are an added threat for a reasonable price. I quite like them. Their minis are OK too.
- I also started painting the minis, which is a bit crazy seeing how many there are. And I started seeing for real how their level of details are actually limited compared to other minis, but done probably just right so that a lot of players won't notice until they are told that.
- After 6-7 missions, I'm more or less on auto more while playing them. I have an established strategy (thatcan still fail with bad luck of the draw/roll, but overall seriously works). Which is where Zombicide disappoints me. All of the core scenarios can be beaten with a single strategy / awareness.
- The other part I was disappointed with was the lack of variety in zombie behaviour. Necromancers are a really neat addition, because they have their own agenda and don't just "move towards survivors". The rest feels very mechanical after a few plays. There's a lot of "upkeep work" in that regards, because there are a lot of minis on the board, and there's not really anything that streamlines a round here.
- My group and myself always need a lot of time to play a scenario (from the rulebook). When I play with 2-6 friends, we're in for 3 to 5 hours; and I wrote "3" because it happened once, but we're more towards 5.
- The scenarios from the rulebook are... well you read the intro text and it sounds nice, but after that there's setup instructions, and then the game plays. So no real story, little-to-no "trigger this and then you are going to have to do something totally different because that big even occurred" etc. They feel pretty bland to me after 6+ plays.
- Scenarios from the kickstarter campaign (available from the editor's website) are much more original, but a few of them require that you have the kickstarter bonuses (i.e. the abominations extension, or multiple abo's that were a KS-exclusive, etc). And they are more difficult, too. So that's where I'd look for replayability.
- In all honesty, I haven't looked at fan scenarios on BGG that wouldn't be posted on the editor's site - I'll have to do that.

Overall, if you ask me where I'm at with Black Plague currently, after 14 plays:
- Most of my friends laugh hysterically when I suggest we could table it (except 1).
- There are a darn lot of minis to paint and I'm not sure I'll survive that ordeal.

I originally marked the game as a 9/10 for me. I'd downgrade it to 6/10 nowadays. I might sell it before I'm done painting the minis.

EDIT: I don't expect Green Horde to bring anything new to the gameplay mechanisms / experience (apart from the Horde, which I would expect to add more unpredictability & difficulty without really changing the core strategies you cal go for). I'm pretty sure the Zombicide community will disagree. I however reserve my final opinion until the game is actually on player's tables.

This is just one man's opinion, of course. The game gets a lot of love. Your playing group's experience may vary, too.

I agree with everything said here. In the end I think the game has a very fun foundation and it is well produced, but with a focus on quantity, instead of quality.

Several ideas/rules add very little to the game and are not fully tested or functional (cabal, towers), some additions compromise the challenge of the game and there are really no guidelines to add, in a coherent form, the myriad of expansions the game has.

But the basic idea of killing dozens (and sometimes hundreds) of monsters works very well as a party game for some of my friends and my family. It is gaming fast food: it is not expertly cooked, but tastes good. And also some people can eat it every day, but it is probably better if consumed once in awhile.

That said, the undeniable success of the franchise means that there is a magic there that keeps people coming back for more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike B
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Because I see that Black Plague is much cheaper in Canada (79 CAD) where as this KS would be up near 200 CAD that is the reason for me asking... Love the ideas and the play through I have watched just did not want to miss out spending more for GH if it would be a much better game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. P
Denmark
flag msg tools
Herman92 wrote:

This is my experience as well. The time on the scenarios are almost laughable, but instead of selling mine I opted for making some extended rules, makes it a bit rpg'ish. But I think your points stands well for anyone interested in Green horde and is also why i'm not really going for it, nothing new and properly a lot of the same.
I think the lure of the series is that it's a light version of something like hero quest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Chau
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
xsabrewulf wrote:
Because I see that Black Plague is much cheaper in Canada (79 CAD) where as this KS would be up near 200 CAD that is the reason for me asking... Love the ideas and the play through I have watched just did not want to miss out spending more for GH if it would be a much better game

You might want to keep an eye on the Kickstarter Exclusives that come with the game and see if it worth the price for you, like the Feral Dragon. Alternatively, you could always look on eBay afterwards to try to pick up the pieces that you are interested in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.