Adam Brocker
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
Omnigamer and Devourer of Games
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would request that any 18xx title with a subtitle have that subtitle included in the BGG entry name.

Some examples of good naming:
1822: The Railways of Great Britain
1846: The Race for the Midwest
1860: Railways on the Isle of Wight
1861: The Railways of the Russian Empire

Some examples of bad naming:
1812: The Cradle of Steam Railways
1824: Austria-Hungary
1826: Railroading in France and Belgium from 1826
1832: The South
1849: The Game of Sicilian Railways
1837: Rail Building in the Austro-Hungarian Empire
1856: Railroading in Upper Canada from 1856

All of the bad ones listed above do have a subtitle. It's getting very difficult to distinguish between the 18XX titles with just the number
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Brocker
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Suggest using Subtitle in BGG name for 18XX games
I made suggested edits to all of the listed titles, but thought I'd create a suggestion as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Peters
United States
Belmont
California
flag msg tools
Powers:Coleridge:Milton: Faith...must be, if anything, a clear-eyed recognition of the patterns and tendencies, to be found in every piece of the world's fabric, which are the lineaments of God.
badge
That's Tim Powers' fictional Samuel Coleridge "quoting" John Milton in _The Anubis Gates_.
mbmbmbmbmb
Funny. I go to some trouble to avoid the subtitle when I refer to an 18xx. I'd prefer to talk about 1830 or 1860 rather than 1830: Railways & Robber Barons and 1860: Railways on the Isle of Wight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacovis
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rynelf wrote:
Funny. I go to some trouble to avoid the subtitle when I refer to an 18xx. I'd prefer to talk about 1830 or 1860 rather than 1830: Railways & Robber Barons and 1860: Railways on the Isle of Wight.

When talking, sure, but when using a database it would be beneficial to have the subtitles available in case a user just remembered part of that instead.

Good suggestion, in my opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shush Ruth
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great suggestion. Might make this genre a little less foreboding for gamers just getting into it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Brocker
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rynelf wrote:

I think that is our trend in conversation which completely makes sense. That was what I was comfortable with as well, but it's getting difficult at this point to identify all of the games. I think there's value in including the subtitle in the database identifier to more easily identify the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Brocker
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FYI. There are now over 30 entries in the BGG database for 18XX titles that only make use of the number for the identifier. I think we're reaching that point of critical mass where it just won't be possible for most people to keep things straight with just the number.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sea Swallow
United States
flag msg tools
admin
Animals are reliable, many full of love, true in their affections, predictable in their actions, grateful and loyal. Difficult standards for people to live up to. –Alfred A. Montapert
badge
These computers on our desks are turning into portals to other realms of existence…realms that will one day be preferred to earth. –Edward Castronova
mbmbmbmbmb
On VGG the first release date for a game is listed in the game title within (). In places where a release date won't work the platform is used instead. This is only done for two or more games with identicle names and has worked out fantastically for both database management and searchability.

Example:

God of War (2005)
God of War (2016)

or

Portal (1986)
Portal (2007)

People entries use a similar method but with roman numerals.

Example:

Daniel Clark (I)
Daniel Clark (II)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rynelf wrote:

Having just bought 1846, I have found it a bit disconcerting when reading a forum post that has used the "insert Board Game" link, and so all of a sudden you get 1846: The Race for the Midwest plopped in the middle of a sentence...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Brocker
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Windopaene wrote:
rynelf wrote:

Having just bought 1846, I have found it a bit disconcerting when reading a forum post that has used the "insert Board Game" link, and so all of a sudden you get 1846: The Race for the Midwest plopped in the middle of a sentence...

You can override that behavior if desired: 1846. It just seems like the inclusion of the subtitle is better for identification purposes in most instances.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.