Subject: Phoenix comic con playthrough (my experience) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
marc ceballos
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
sorry for the late reply but here I go. I was able to play HoLAS at phoenix comic con this past week. As mentioned in the most recent update it was a 6 player game with all new players (myself included). I have played a handful of big box games and this is right up there with the rest of them. The over arcing rules are just as simple as any tiny epic game but once you start digging into the game the breath of options really opens up.

I enjoyed the ability to scry spells (only certain types) . If I sent a group of forces to another factions area (wither for combat or just to take more land) I would be sure to take into account the extra abilities they player might have scryed. The spell ability I scryed (I dont remember the name of the card currently) was to reveal 2 exploration tokens BUT I had to resolve them so I had to take the good token along with the ones that are not as ideal. While that spell can seem pretty powerful its cost and relation to other spells that could be played felt balanced.

It only took a few rounds to get into a rhythm and the game play really started to flow. I enjoy a game with minimal down time and I used that time to determine my strategy for my next move as the power on the board shifted . I know this may vary with each gaming group but the table talk was great. Not only in general conversation about the game and what each player could do but also the discussion when a combat occurred was awesome. As we were all new player we generally discussed openly about the possible outcomes using the tactic cards and the impact of each on the current scenario. The set of tactic cards lends to many possible outcomes as we still watched with anticipation to the revel of the card. My favorite is when the spread of the 2 battling factions base war power was only a few points difference. There were also a few times where you thought it would go one way but the underdog would win based using the card that best offset-ed the card the opponent played.

Each faction style was so unique. The lizard folk and their land abilities. The undead (faction I played) and how they leverage souls they reap to further their power. To be honest I didn't leverage this to the fullest and now I wish I had as I would have easily gained more VP as I progressed. The overall game play was great and I know each player only scratched the surface of each faction. Even at the current players understanding of the game it was very enjoyable. the replayability is there in my opinion as you grow to learn the in and out of each faction.

I know a few folks have mentioned that it seems like HoLSA might lean heavily on combat and while combat is a part of this game it is not the only way. As the game progressed I got deeper into it. I'm big into strategy and made some moves that might have not been ideal but wanted to see how it played out while learning a lot. The anticipation in seeing who could trigger the end game really got me going as we all looked to each other to try to either stop another player from triggering the end game while attempting to trigger it myself. I leaned towards exploration and as noted in the recent update it was very close to triggering as there were only 3 tokens left at that time the exploitation trigger happened. As we all raced to get as many last minute VP before the end of the game the trigger for extermination occurred. At that same time the lionkin was only 2 warriors short of triggering the expanded end game. I had 3 warriors left at that point so I wasn't to far behind in triggering that end game as well.

This will deferentially keep me coming back to play this and I cant wait to bring it to my gaming table.
I can continue to go on and on about my play experience but its currently late and I promised you all I would write this up and didn't want to make you guys wait any longer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Broderick
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks so much for this Marc!

I was one of those who voiced concerns over the game being too combat focussed. Can I ask a related question - how 'take that' did it feel?

I'm currently all in but keep reconsidering. Mind you, I'm only looking at the game for solo play so I don't know how relevant these questions or your answers are.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Molina
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you so much for this write up. It sounds like it was fun. I wish I could have gotten in on a game but time constraints didn't allow it. Sounds like everyone there had fun and thats great.

Sounds like yet another very positive review of the game that should set a lot of fears aside. The more I see and read about this it really seems like this is going to be one of the great games of the year!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marc ceballos
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
cornishlee wrote:
Thanks so much for this Marc!

I was one of those who voiced concerns over the game being too combat focussed. Can I ask a related question - how 'take that' did it feel?

I'm currently all in but keep reconsidering. Mind you, I'm only looking at the game for solo play so I don't know how relevant these questions or your answers are.

if the solo play is anything like the game in general then you should be fine... i think they have might have the current iteration of solo rules on the KS page....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marc ceballos
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Team D20 wrote:
This is a great write up, and I'm happy to hear your report. I wondered how key the scrying would be for creating unique strategies each game, and it sounds like it does quite a lot. This report has me all the more eager to get this game to the table when it arrives.

apparently it was added sometime between the first KS and the current one... it is an addition that i think will add much replayability
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marc ceballos
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
KingJackalope wrote:
Thank you so much for this write up. It sounds like it was fun. I wish I could have gotten in on a game but time constraints didn't allow it. Sounds like everyone there had fun and thats great.

Sounds like yet another very positive review of the game that should set a lot of fears aside. The more I see and read about this it really seems like this is going to be one of the great games of the year!

i agree
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marc ceballos
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
one other note to add... we as a group decided not to play with nomads so we could really learn the basics so that also contributes to the added replayability we didnt even touch on.....the pics of the minis really don't do it justice...seeing them in real life was way better IMHO. (no... i didnt see the painted ones) and the size of the board...just gotta say wow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.