Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Russell Evans
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I just finished the two seasons of Turn that are on Netflix (which I highly recommend; great show) and I would like to play a game with the same theme. There doesn't seem to be a whole lot of highly rated American Revolution games out there compared to other wars, so I'm wondering what's your favorite?

Right now I'm looking at Liberty: The American Revolution 1775-83 from Columbia Games which looks fun, but I'm open to other suggestions. I'm not looking at Liberty or Death: The American Insurrection because I have Cuba Libre already and I'm not sure I even like the COIN series as CL just isn't that fun for me lately. So what is your go-to American Revolution game?

My only stipulations are that the map size can't be larger than 34" and I need to be able to play it solo controlling both sides. I'm open to a variety of scales.

I also looked at Hold the Line: The American Revolution but I'm afraid it will be too similar to Commands & Colors: Napoleonics which I'm getting in a couple days. Miniatures scare me because I know if I get them I will want to paint them but I'm not ready for that commitment to buy all the supplies I would need just yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sébastien Schmutz
Switzerland
Fribourg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SoloGuy wrote:
I just finished the teo seasons of Turn that are on Netflix (which I highly recommend; great show) and I would like to play a game with the same theme. There doesn't seem to be a whole lot of American Revolution games out there compared to other wars, so I'm wondering what's your favorite?

Right now I'm looking at Liberty: The American Revolution 1775-83 from Columbia Games which looks fun, but I'm open to other suggestions. I'm not looking at Liberty or Death: The American Insurrection because I have Cuba Libre already and I'm not sure I even like the COIN series as CL just isn't that fun for me lately. So what is your go-to American Revolution game?

My only stipulations are that the map size can't be larger than 34" and I need to be able to play it solo controlling both sides. I'm open to a variety of scales.

I also looked at Hold the Line: The American Revolution but I'm afraid it will be too similar to Commands & Colors: Napoleonics which I'm getting in a couple days. Miniatures scare me because I know if I get them I will want to paint them but I'm not ready for that commitment to buy all the supplies I would need just yet.

Have you looked at 1775: Rebellion?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Łukasz
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
Non vi sed virtute, not armis sed arte paritur victoria.
badge
e^{i · π} + 1 = 0
mb
SoloGuy wrote:
I just finished the teo seasons of Turn that are on Netflix (which I highly recommend; great show) and I would like to play a game with the same theme. There doesn't seem to be a whole lot of American Revolution games out there compared to other wars, so I'm wondering what's your favorite?

I'd say there are a lot ARW games out there; be sure to check https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgamecategory/1075/american-re...

I played Washington's War and enjoyed--as I do enjoy most CDGs. If you are more into old-school, there's End of Empire: 1744-1782 that covers, apart from ACW, King's George War and 7YW portion that took part in North America. Never played the latter, though, comments are mixed but you never can go wrong with hex&counters, you know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell Evans
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Seb283 wrote:
SoloGuy wrote:

Yeah but it didn't really seem much like a wargame, more like a COIN game, more Euro-like
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gotthard Heinrici (prev. Graf Strachwitz)
Germany
Düsseldorf
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not a recommendation as game is not out yet, but since your interested in the topic check out the forthcoming: Revolution Road
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorik
Netherlands
Utrecht
Utrecht
flag msg tools
badge
How sticky is your ZOC?
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you want to fight the war and see what happens or fight some battles?
That really makes a difference I find.
That's more of a general question then a road to an answer from me as I'm not really well versed in AWI.
Washingtons war is great I hear.there's also wilderness war and end of empire just prior to the AWI
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell Evans
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
HerrJork wrote:
Do you want to fight the war and see what happens or fight some battles?
That really makes a difference I find.
That's more of a general question then a road to an answer from me as I'm not really well versed in AWI.
Washingtons war is great I hear.there's also wilderness war and end of empire just prior to the AWI

I'm open to both, but ideally I would like to probably get one strategic game that encompasses the whole war, and several (Or one with multiple maps/scenarios) of the key or more interesting battles. (Saratoga, Bunker Hill, etc.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stuart
United States
Los Alamos
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I recommend the old 1776 (the campaign game, not the 'beginner's' scenario). This game is superb!

[Note: I recommend playing the game without the rock-paper-scissors tactical cards -- I never thought they added anything to the game.]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bob_santafe wrote:
I recommend the old 1776 (the full game, not the 'beginner's' scenario). This game is superb!

+1

This is still the best of the bunch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Pundyk
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
If it's a one-map strategic game you want, the SPI magazine game, The American Revolution: Decision in North America is a good two-player game that plays well solo. I believe Decision Games has published a boxed version of it as well. Unlike many AmRev games, it covers not just the Eastern Seaboard but also the wider war in the Caribbean, Gulf of Mexico and the interior as far as the Mississippi.

If you're not averse to purpose-built solitaire games, White Dog's Don't Tread On Me: The American Revolution Solitaire Board Game is an excellent choice. It has a small footprint as well. I've only played it on VASSAL, but I think it has an 11" x 17" map. It is very challenging and you can add optional rules that make it progressively harder to win, as your skill level increases.

IMO Compass Games' End of Empire: 1744-1782 has far surpassed the old AH classic 1776, but neither of those is a one-map game, which was one of the OP's requirements.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Łukasz
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
Non vi sed virtute, not armis sed arte paritur victoria.
badge
e^{i · π} + 1 = 0
mb
fightinlegalist1 wrote:
but neither of those is a one-map game, which was one of the OP's requirements.

Missed that. Sorry.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M@tthijs
Netherlands
Venlo
flag msg tools
This user is outstanding in mediocre videogaming
badge
Did you visit my www.kobudovenlo.nl? It has game info
mbmbmbmbmb
SoloGuy wrote:
Seb283 wrote:
SoloGuy wrote:

Yeah but it didn't really seem much like a wargame, more like a COIN game, more Euro-like
It's totally not COIN. It looks maybe Euro. It's a lot of fun. More the next logical step after Risk. Definitely a wargame, one to get people set their first step in the hobby, IMO. And a great beer & pretzel game for wargamers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Colgan
Australia
Perth
WA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely Washington's War.....it's brilliant and a keeper.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Yoder
United States
Middleton
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SoloGuy wrote:
Seb283 wrote:
SoloGuy wrote:

It's more dudes-on-a-map game than Euro. It just uses cubes instead of plastic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M@tthijs
Netherlands
Venlo
flag msg tools
This user is outstanding in mediocre videogaming
badge
Did you visit my www.kobudovenlo.nl? It has game info
mbmbmbmbmb
nomoredroids wrote:
SoloGuy wrote:
Seb283 wrote:
SoloGuy wrote:

It's more dudes-on-a-map game than Euro. It just uses cubes instead of plastic.

And if cubes's not to your liking, you can even remedy that, given enough time:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Laramie
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
desertfox2004 wrote:
bob_santafe wrote:
I recommend the old 1776 (the full game, not the 'beginner's' scenario). This game is superb!

+1

This is still the best of the bunch.

Me too.

Especially solo, this game is great.

You can just randomize the rock-paper-scissor cards, for a little variety, but it is true that they are sorta lackluster.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Doran
United States
Columbia
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bob_santafe wrote:
I recommend the old 1776 (the campaign game, not the 'beginner's' scenario). This game is superb!

[Note: I recommend playing the game without the rock-paper-scissors tactical cards -- I never thought they added anything to the game.]

I agree with the recommendation (though I am not sure the map is only 34 inches long).

But when I play solo I always use the tactical cards and I shuffle them. Creates a narrative I cannot control, and is kind of fun that way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim B
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Breaker wrote:
Definitely Washington's War.....it's brilliant and a keeper.

thumbsup

I was recently taught "Washington's War" and it quickly became not only one of my favorite wargames, but one of my favorite games of any genre. It's a great game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McCormick
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Washington's War is one of the great designs of recent years. Easily my recommendation here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wayne Hansen
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Harae wrote:
Not a recommendation as game is not out yet, but since your interested in the topic check out the forthcoming: Revolution Road

It also has solo play with dedicated solitaire rules/bots, something I, and I assume the OP (SoloGuy), appreciate. I can't wait until this one is released and I can see some in depth first impressions and reviews.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G. H.
United Kingdom
London
Greater London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are a few very quick, VERY small, solo-friendly and inexpensive games from (ta-dah) "Two Buck Games":

American War of Independence: Brandywine

American War of Independence: Campaign Set 1 – The Northern Theatre

American War of Independence: Campaign Set 2 – The Southern Theatre

American War of Independence: Campaign Set 3 – Other Battles

American War of Independence: Campaign Set 4 – More Battles

I've had a blast with 'em.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G. H.
United Kingdom
London
Greater London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Out of curiosity Russ, why did you pick Sobol as your avatar?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Gillispie
United States
Chamblee
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been eyeballing a bunch of the Hollandspiele games - the only thing holding me back is fitting them in my game budget - does anyone have any opinions on Supply Lines of the American Revolution: The Northern Theater, 1775-1777?

Looking forward to GMT pushing the American Revolution Tri-Pack out the door in a few months - that looks to be a lot of gaming value there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judd Vance
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Every Man a (K-State) Wildcat!
badge
"Just get that sucka to the designated place at the designated time and I will gladly designate his ass...for dismemberment!" - Sho Nuff.
mbmbmbmbmb
This is my favorite period in history to study. Here are some of my favorites.

Strategic:

Washington's War: Head and shoulders above the rest. The map is going to push that 34" limit. This does the best job of mixing what I consider the necessary for any strategic level AmRev game: 1. Historical events, 2. Washington's Fabian tactics, and 3. Using the military to obtain political objectives. The downside is that it uses cards, so you are going to lose something playing solo. This never stopped me, though.

The American Revolution: Decision in North America: Expands the map and brings the Caribbean Islands into play as well as managing the alliance with France and Spain in a novel way. Downside is that it uses a lot of bluffing, so it may be difficult to solo. Also, it is pushing that 34" limit.

Don't Tread On Me: The American Revolution Solitaire Board Game: Probably the most historically accurate one I have come across. Advantages are small foot print and completely solitaire. You are the Brits and the artificial intelligence handles the Americans. I shot a video review on it if you want to learn more. Disadvantages are that it doesn't capture the Fabian tactics, is long (5-6 hours) and can be a bit procedural.

1775: Rebellion: Pushes the 34" limit. Advantages are that it is very easy to learn. Disadvantages are that the history can be iffy and it's prone to having the last player (chosen by random draw) on the last turn win the game.

Operational:

New York 1776: Interesting look at the campaign. Lots of tension. Disadvantages are that block games don't solo well and the first 2-3 turns are historical and then history goes out the window. Darned fun game, though.

1777: The Year of the Hangman: Great game, but skip it. No solo capability at all. Until some joker with a Sho Nuff avatar gets around to making the Vassal module someday, he can't play it, either.

Monmouth/Saratoga/Germantown - This is a series of games from GMT. They solo well. There is a cornball rock-paper-scissors tactical chit (yeah, I said RPS) that is difficult to solo unless you get the solitaire system used in Germantown, but I'd suggest dropping it altogether (the payoff is not worth the work). These are fine games and GMT released a 3-pack combo. There are other games in the series. I skipped two of them, because sieges bore me (Savannah & Pensacola). I traded Guilford because the system doesn't capture American southern tactics after January 1781, but the other game in that 2-for-1 (Eutaw Springs) is pretty neat.

Tactical:

Hold the Line. This one is a blast. It is not Commands and Colors. If you worry about that, then steer clear of the upcoming Commands & Colors Tricorne: The American Revolution, which IS that system. Hold the Line solos perfectly and gives you a bunch of scenarios. Added bonus: Worthington upgraded to a new edition with miniatures so you can probably find a bunch of dudes who would unload their older copy for a song. The older copy uses thick counters. Good high quality game. Added bonus if you can land the French & Indian War expansion.

A few other mentions:

Liberty or Death: The American Insurrection & Washington's Crossing: I have them, but haven't played it.

Liberty: The American Revolution 1775-83: Take a pass on it. First, block games are harder to solo. Second, the game is not historical. It is Hammer of the Scots with a new map. They forced this game into that 8-page rulebook system and the result is whac-a-mole. It is a fun game, but if you want to try the system, there are better options (Julius Caesar, Hammer of the Scots, Texas Glory).

1776: Didn't work for me. See my comment on Washington's War. It is lacking in two of the three categories, as I recall. It was good for the 1970s, but has been passed up by better designs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathanael Robinson
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
SoloGuy wrote:

Hold the Line plays differently that C&C games. Ordering options are based on action points, sometimes bolstered by leader abilities. There is also no sense of my side of the board vs. yours. Consequently, the games flow more freely. On the other hand, it enjoys less support from its publisher than GMT usually offers or than fans are willing to give.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.