United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
LESS FILLING
badge
Guy Smiley
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a topic of curiosity on how many boardgamers also play RPGs and/or video/console/computer games. I won't make it a poll, as it always seems half the replies are "You didn't include this. You didn't include that. That needs to be worded better. You didn't have one that says bacon."

So let's just ask a few questions for those who care to reply:

1) Do you play video games or rpgs? Did you use to and stop when you got into boardgames, or did you take them up after playing boardgames?

2) What age or age group do you fall into?

3) Do you instead have some other time/money consuming hobby you do as well as play games? (quilting, model building, civil war re-enactment, competitive tanning)

4) What percentage of you time do you spend in each hobby, if you do more than one?

5) Anything else you might deem relevant I didn't think to include.

Just bored on a Wednesday morning while waiting for the wife to get ready for our walk in the park. To start the ball rolling, I'm in my 50's, work as a hospital nurse, and I've been playing "serious" boardgames since I got my copy of War of the Ring back in '77; I've been playing video games since I came across my first Pong machine in the lobby of the university dorm my mother was a secretary in back in '74. I played games like Car Wars, Battletech, Illuminati, D&D, Traveller, Paranoia, MERP, Ogre, etc. very heavily in high school and college; then split them about 50/50 with computer games once I got my first PC in '92 and started playing Ultima, Elder Scrolls, X-Com, Civ, etc. I went on a hiatus for pretty much any other game, board or otherwise, when I discovered Everquest back in '99. Got good and addicted to EverCrack, and played it probably an average of 4 or 5 hours a day for about 5 years.

Once I got off the EQ train, I got back into D&D and regular, single-player or multi-player (non MMO) video games for about a decade, until being introduced to Zombicide by a co-worker back in October of last year. Still play computer games, and my free recreational time is spent probably 50/50 between board and electronic games. The only other time and money intensive hobby I have is spending time with my recently early-retired non-gaming wife; didn't realize how much free time I had before it became hers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy Basi
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I will bite -- I am also in my 50s and played EQ from 1999 until EQ2 came out, and have been playing EQII off and on ever since. I also had a brief affair with WoW, but EverQuest II really has always given me a lot of satisfaction for an MMORPG. It's definitely got it's problems, though. I now play just a few hours a week, rather than the 20-30 hours I used to devote to raiding and all that jazz. No more, I have little interest in the rat race for gear, etc.

I worked for IGN for a while running a fan site, and was a freelance journalist covering Sony Online Entertainment for a few years, which was fun.

I have only been playing tabletop games for about 4 years now, but like everything I take an interest in, jumped right into the deep end! Turns out two of my EQ developer friends are also into tabletop games, so that's pretty neat, I think. I don't play any RPGs, it just doesn't grab me off the computer screen.

I also have been a professional in the horse business, but much like other things, scaled back to just one horse now. It's still a passion of mine, though, and I can't live without at least one equine. As for time consuming, money eating hobbies, it pretty much tops the list!

My husband doesn't care for board games, or horses, but he's very supportive, thank goodness.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Korson
United States
Galloway
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1) I don't play video games per se but I do play PC Games - typically strategy games like Age of Empires and the Civilization series - although I do also play some first person shooters and action style games like Star Wars: Battlefront and the Grand Theft Auto series.

2) Early 30's

3) Not really - I have young children so it's amazing I even have time for one hobby as it is (much less money)

4) N/A

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Vallina
United States
Buffalo
NY
flag msg tools
if I'm Andy, is Zack April? seems right...
badge
"When I get bummed out, I take my shirt off because the bad feelings make me feel sweaty."
mbmbmbmbmb

1) Do you play video games or rpgs? Did you use to and stop when you got into boardgames, or did you take them up after playing boardgames? - I play both. I do a weekly D&D game on Tuesdays that I DM, and play in one another night of the week.
That same group gets together occasionally to play board games as well.

25-30? I'm 27 in 11 days.

3) Do you instead have some other time/money consuming hobby you do as well as play games? (quilting, model building, civil war re-enactment, competitive tanning) I don't instead but I knit and crochet and weave fabric as well.

4) What percentage of you time do you spend in each hobby, if you do more than one? Depends on how much time I have in the week. My focus is mainly on D&D/board games as I do those with friends...but when I have free time and I'm bored, I usually am working on a textile craft.

I have more video game tattoos than board game tattoos.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreu P.
Spain
Barcelona
Catalonia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, video games are actually my main hobby, and only over the last few monts after finishing my PhD I've started to dedicate more time to board games, even if I always liked them. In fact, I thought they could help me and my girlfriend spending more time together while we are at home (and it's working great!), but after a few weeks I also started looking for some other people to play with (since most of my friends don't really like board gaming). Currently, I'm happy to say I've met some new friends of different ages and with different tastes, so I've been able to try a lot of games.

However, as I said, I've been into video games for almost all my life (I'm 29) and they're still my main interest. I started playing the NES when I was 5 or 6, and the rest is history. I've got nearly 400 physical video games at home right now plus quite a number of boxed consoles, and I'm the kind of jerk obsessed with mint condition and who uses PVC covers to store cardboard-boxed video games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
Portage
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have yet to hit the 30 year mark so I'm still mildly interested in pretty much all hobbies. Pushed to whichever I can afford. Gaming (board and video) being very positive time sinks and pay out better than most other choices. Video gaming has taken a dip to board gaming as I've made more friends interested in not video gaming and my SO has really gotten into board gaming with me. I think the biggest loss is my free time spent on sports. I have yet to recover from the loss of fellow tennis players moving away and the ease of other activities in college. But I've gained more quality time with family, more weekends camping, I have a dog now, and other hobbies like craft related projects (usually related to board gaming as of recent)

weekday free time
30% SO quality time
30% board gaming
20% video gaming (just got a PC this past winter and I sleep an hour less than my SO)
20% miscellaneous hobbies, craft projects and such come and go in waves

Weekend free time is made up of more seasonal related choices. Family time takes the majority. Board gaming does stay up though, the others drop.

edit add: no RPGs for me ever...just kinda missed me somehow. I blame wanting more competition in my hobbies rather than adventure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gretchen Fontenay
United States
Apison
TN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I play 2 video games- Flower and Undertale

As to other hobbies; I quilt, I bind and collect books (and read them!), I used to have a doll collection but I sold most of it and now only have the one left from when I was 6, I collect (and use) advent calendars and tea cups (and hence, tea and tablecloths) and I do all kinds of sewing, paint miniatures, building projects and so on.

None of these things gets a lot of my time since I don't really have very much- I work full time, am a single mom and take care of my aging mother next door.

I'm in my 50s... but I will never die- I have too much left to do!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Korner
United States
Tomah
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1) I play video games and RPG's. I played board games first( Monopoly,Stratego,Battleship,Risk,ETC) and got D&D red box for X-MAs in 8th grade. Atari was my first console.

2)47 years old

3)I also do some fishing but otherwise gaming is my hobby.

4)We game every Friday night (7-midnightish) and Sunday morning (8-noonish).

5) Dark Tower and then Talisman were game changers to my 7th grade self!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I play true solitaire war games with hex maps 90% of the time. No need to play all sides of a multiplayer board game; that's what console and PC games are for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Di Ponio
United States
Lake Orion
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

1. Yes I play video games! I have since my first PC back in the early 80's. I don't play RPG's much. I tend to play on line with my boys if at all these days. I play ArmA 3 on the pc as well as some strategy games.

2. In my early 50's

3. Music, cycling and Model painting for miniature gaming.

4. I probably spend the most time on cycling and music and then there is a drop down for video and board gaming. If you have to take percentages of FREE time and break it up its would look like this:

Cycling: 30%
Music: 20%
Board Game: 20%
Video Game: 20%
Modeling: 10%

Of course, this ebbs and flows with the Michigan seasons. Summer is usually way more biking and less video gaming and modeling for sure but when the late fall comes until the spring, Biking takes a drastic hit and everything else increases.

5. Board and video gaming was a main focus until I became a father and then they both had to take a back seat for a while. Now that the kids are grown, they have become gamers and cyclist so I can do a lot more with them in that respect. Now if I can just get rid of the this think called a JOB and HOUSE WORK, I would have more time! :o)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barbara Giorgi
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
1) Yes, in fact our entire family is fond of playing video games. While me and my husband (the so-called older generation) graduated into playing RPGs after we'd had a wonderful board-games filled childhood, the kids were quite the opposite; they had a tablet in their hands before they knew what Checkers was all about! But now, we have a designated time for on-screen gaming as well as off-screen gaming, so that's that.

2) Whoa... Thirties. Late or early, I'd prefer not to say gulp Young at heart but.

3) Thankfully, I'm not into a money-consuming hobby till date, except perhaps if you factor in gardening and buying things for my green patch in the backyard, which I like to keep experimenting with. Other hobbies are reading, sleeping and swimming which I try to squeeze in wherever possible, thanks to my more than full-time role of donning the mantle of a homeschooling mom who is up to her neck in chalking out curricula, digging for ingenious ways to get the kids to do some math (my latest discovery is math games like these which seem to be working till I come up with something more novel), setting up DIY science experiments and the like.

4) Like I said, 95% of my time goes into my kids. The rest 5% is me-time. But I'm hoping as the kids grow up, the latter % of the time will start increasing little by little, eventually.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gimo Barrera
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
We should take Bikini Bottom
badge
and push it somewhere else
mbmbmbmbmb
TheGnarlo wrote:

1) Do you play video games or rpgs? Did you use to and stop when you got into boardgames, or did you take them up after playing boardgames?

I played Video Games along with Board Games growing up. I used to play more video games than board games until I hit 20, now I play more board games than video games. I got into some minor RPGs, I GM pathfinder before, and I'll be trying out Mouse Guard in about a month or two!

Quote:

Mid 20s

Quote:
3) Do you instead have some other time/money consuming hobby you do as well as play games? (quilting, model building, civil war re-enactment, competitive tanning)

Cycling
Backpacking
Camping
Rock Climbing
Rollerblading
Foamcore Building
Miniature Painting

Foamcore/miniature/boardgames are my winter hobbies, and the others I do during spring/summer. It snows a lot where I live :C

Quote:
4) What percentage of you time do you spend in each hobby, if you do more than one?

Winter/Summer
Boardgames 75%/10%
Cycling 0%/5%
Backpacking 0%/25%
Camping 0%/40%
Rock Climbing 0%/15%
Rollerblading 5%/5%
Foamcore Building 5%/0%
Miniature Painting 5%/0%

Quote:

I also like going to the movies
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gunky Gamer
United States
Gardiner
New York
flag msg tools
badge
You and me...We're in this together now...None of them can stop us now...We will make it through somehow
mbmb

I've been playing video games since the early days of Atari, Atari 800 and Intellivision and began D&D ~1981. My interest ebbs and flows a bit, but I still play video games, primarily on Xbox One. I guess boardgames technically preceded everything, but they were of the standard monopoly, careers, life, clue, etc. variety. I consider my first "real" boardgame to have been Diplomacy, which I was introduced to ~1985.

I'm just shy of 47.

Kids are a pretty time consuming hobby ;-)

I've been an amateur astronomer of sorts since I was a kid in the late seventies. I invest more time than money into it these days. I've also coached youth baseball for ~12 years. That too takes more time than money, but I've been gradually reducing my commitment there as my kids get older and their interests diversify.

I probably spend 3-4 times more time on video games than on board games. Most of my play is late in the evening after my wife checks out. I'm very excited to have a new D&D group beginning to play this week and I hope to see that start to take over a fair chunk of my hobby play time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre Santos
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't play video games, only played until late teens. I'm a avid (tabletop) roleplayer. I started playing boardgames, then branched into RPGs, before rediscovering boardgames.

Most of my (non working) time is taken by raising kids, that's actually one of the reasons that encouraged me to go into boardgaming, very controlled playing time compared to RPGs. I don't have other notable hobbies at the moment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Graves
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I grew up with video games. I was around when Asteroids, Missle Command, and Space Invaders first came out. My Dad LOVED video games and we went to the arcade all the time. I've made my way through almost every console system and played PC games as well. I can't believe it happened, but when I discovered and started playing board games, my video game playing almost completely stopped. I'd rather play a board game or teach myself rules for a game I haven't gotten to table yet.

I started painting my game minis about a couple years ago. That is a rather large investment in paints and supplies. I am considering an air brush as well, but we'll have to see. I also collect comics. I had to restrict what I was collecting, however, as these other two hobbies take a lot of money. Finally, I play music and am in a couple groups that play locally.

I play at least two gaming sessions a week (sometimes three) and I paint roughly 4-8 hours a week. Music takes up less time than it used to. I used to play every weekend, now I play 3-4 sets on weekends, but I only play a couple gigs a month. Unfortunately, comics just get collected and not read. No time...

Thank you for not having a poll with "bacon" as an option.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Lane
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Grew up playing both video games and board games in the 70s and 80's. I never really stopped playing either, but in the late 80's/early 90's board gaming wasn't really a hobby so much as something you did when you were bored or snowed in. As it became more of a fringe hobby and euros started appearing in the 00's I fell into a group of friends that all started exploring the hobby together. While I have played RPG's, it's not something I consider a hobby.

I'm 43

My wife and I do a ton of gardening and we travel at least 4 times a year. Otherwise I was born and raised a nerd so I'm always reading, watching, or listening to something that's gaming/sci fi/comics/fantasy related. I was a musician in my 20's and still enjoy all kinds of music and seeing concerts.

I play video games daily to help unwind after work. I play board games at least once a week. Gardening is heavy in spring and then harvest in fall (to feed your workers and get victory points). Travel is usually once a quarter (just got back from Vegas actually).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Theoretically, I am a video gamer and roleplaying gamer too.

Practically, I don't have time for most of my hobbies.

Pete (is in the busiest part of life right now)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony C
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1) Do you play video games or rpgs?
Video games. Played a little D&D in high school and college but never really committed or had a committed group.
Primarily Console - since I'm on a computer a lot for work, I enjoy sitting with a controller on the sofa in front of the big TV.

Did you use to and stop when you got into boardgames, or did you take them up after playing boardgames?
Been playing both video games and board games since I was a kid. My folks had an old Pong game, and the Christmas we got the Atari 2600 was awesome.
As a kid of course we played the usual stuff but also some more off the beaten path stuff like The Inventors and Rich Uncle.
HS, had a friend who was into the MB Gamesmaster series, Axis and Allies, Fortress America, Shogun.
A brief break from video games in high school and first couple years of college till I discovered Shining Force.
Didn't get into 'designer' games till about 8 years ago.

Almost exactly mid-40s.

Not really. Dabble in disc golf but that's not a big time or money suck.
Reading's probably the next biggest, and I buy books cheap so it consumes more time than money. I'm currently in the middle of at least 8 books. (well, I just finished 2 today and yesterday, so I need to pick up replacements for them.)

More than I should, not enough as I want :)
It's probably roughly equal 33/33/33 over time, though sometimes I'll take a break from video games, or not want to set up a board game, or I'll be really into a book and read it as much as I can.

I've got a 14 year old son who's not a big gamer so while I try to share the hobby with him, that has a big impact on both what games and how often/much I play. He is of course a video gamer so we get our gaming in that way, and he schools me at basketball way to often. And of course I (gladly!) spend a lot of time on/with him, and am planning a move and a wedding, so those get a lot of my focus as well. My fiancee is becoming more and more of a gamer, so that's been awesome to share together.
I also, like a previous poster, like going to the movies. I've got a ton of movies on DVD/BD, and Netflix/Hulu/Amazon Prime, but there's something about the big screen experience (and the popcorn).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ole Richard Tuft
Norway
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Video games, since ZX Spectrum & C64. Always been playing both board & video games, to some extent.

2. 40's.

3. Not these days. All about the games. Well, except for TV. Took up photography for a while, but found that I ended up behind a screen anyway, editing the photos, so pretty much gave that up.

4. Varies wildly, between 15-85% video/board (can swing both ways).

5. 92 was my first PC too. Ultima, Civ 1, good stuff I have done over 5000 missions (UFO ground assaults) in XCOM I&II blush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Gnarlo
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
LESS FILLING
badge
Guy Smiley
mbmbmbmbmb
Easybeans wrote:
Early 30s, work as a CAD/CAE programmer... Been playing video games since my brother-in-law gave me his Commodore 64 back when I was still in diapers.

Ah, the C64 Loved mine, still in a closet upstairs. Was my first gamebed for playing the Pool of Radiance games, Hunt for Red October, M.U.L.E., Wasteland... Did you have the little fob that allowed you to punch an extra slot in the 5-1/4 floppies and turn them from single sided discs into dual-sided discs?

Easybeans wrote:
Got into board gaming about 6 months ago and I'm really loving the hobby. I seem to love ALL games, and my collection has grown quite rapidly.

Oh god, yes, I've added over a hundred games and expansions to my collection since November as well; it does seem like you just get excited about everything you hear about and want to try it, doesn't it? "I've got 20 years of gaming to catch up on!!"

Easybeans wrote:
My gaming ratio is about 3:1 between video and board games because it's just easier for me to jump on a computer then get 2+ other people to sit down for a table top session.

Have you looked into Tabletop Sim, Tabletopia, or Vassal? TTS in particular has been instrumental in getting boardgame time in with the busy schedules of my friends and me.

Thanks for sharing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb

The last Videogame I played in any fashion was Masters of Orion II. So pretty much, no.

I play RPG's as is Pencil and Paper kind.

I am into Photography and Drones.

Not enough on any.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Gnarlo
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
LESS FILLING
badge
Guy Smiley
mbmbmbmbmb
Kwill2 wrote:
I will bite -- I am also in my 50s and played EQ from 1999 until EQ2 came out, and have been playing EQII off and on ever since. [...] I now play just a few hours a week, rather than the 20-30 hours I used to devote to raiding and all that jazz. No more, I have little interest in the rat race for gear, etc.

I worked for IGN for a while running a fan site, and was a freelance journalist covering Sony Online Entertainment for a few years, which was fun.

That sounds like a lot of fun, talking things over with the developers back in those heady days when EQ was the 400 pound gorilla on the street I remember when the player count broke 400K, and people were *amazed* and wondered how high it could go. No one could possibly imagine something like WoW and it's 12M peak... I agree with leaving the raid game behind, Raided the Planes of Power, did 30+ hour camps for Ranger epics, been there, got the t shirt, no thanks My MMO itch is scratched with the few hours I put into Lord of the Rings Online each week now.

Kwill2 wrote:
I also have been a professional in the horse business, but much like other things, scaled back to just one horse now. It's still a passion of mine, though, and I can't live without at least one equine. As for time consuming, money eating hobbies, it pretty much tops the list!

You aren't joking there. Dated a woman back in college who ran a horse farm with her mom. I lived in a little 2 room apartment in the loft above the barn and paid my room and board by mucking out stalls and cleaning tack and helping them teach the university classes they held there (the written part, I sucked at dressage blush ), etc. Had a friend once ask me "they must be rich", to which I replied, yeah, they are probably worth a couple million -- tied up in horses, barns, fields, haying equipment... Unless someone is into classic cars, you might have won with the most money sink side hobby

Thanks for sharing!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheGnarlo wrote:
Yes to vg, yes to vg RPGs.

However, I play vg RPGs, NOT tabletop RPGs. I tried some one-shot RPGs (Queen Mab for one), and it wasn't bad. However, I tried a one-shot D&D, and it was too open ended for my tastes, lacking boards, components (and no, dice do NOT count in this case, and more "fleshed out" mechanics

TheGnarlo wrote:
"close to middle age"

TheGnarlo wrote:

--Binge watching YouTube :|
--Spending lots of time online, including BGG.com (TBF, mostly my fault

--video games (Wii, iOS, Android, PC/Steam)
--Euphonium/Baritone Horn. I also have a flute... I should get around to trying to learn that

--watching movies

TheGnarlo wrote:

Bg... 1 to 3x a month
vg... I try to do this several times a week
music... 3x a week
movies... once a week to every 2 weeks

TheGnarlo wrote:
I still play bg, but the most painful thing about it is waiting 1 to 4 weeks till the next game night. Going to a convention means mucho game time, but that's now an out of town affair that sets me back hundreds of dollars + many hours of driving.

I can't really buy games either b/c they'll at best get played average 1.6 times a year.

Vg b/c I have a backlog of games that aren't worth it to sell them (those on physical media, or on Steam), but I got them for so cheap that it's not really worth it to do so. Best thing about my vg I have is they can be played solo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan S.
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheGnarlo wrote:

1) Yes. Both, in fact. I started with video games when my parents bought a Colecovision back in the early 80's and an Atari VCS the following year. After getting in on games like Donkey Kong, Missile Command and Asteroids, I started hunting for video games to play anytime I was out with my folks at bars, restaurants, etc.

Around the same time, my grandfather would teach me how to play lots of "traditional card & parlor games". We played Cribbage, Dominoes, Checkers, Scrabble, etc.

I remained (and still remain) fascinated with video games ever since, becoming a "Nintendo kid" in the late 80's. Got a Macintosh 512K in the early 90's. Hung out in the University computer labs in the mid-90's. I also continued to be fascinated by board and card games, although most of what I was exposed to was the mass-market stuff you would expect from the time.

Probably the pivotal experience that broke that pattern was when a friend and I discovered Magic: The Gathering on a lark one day in the summer of '94. I found the game to be captivating, what with it's depictions of fantasy creatures and magic spells. Then, in the spring of '96, one of the buddies I played Magic with introduced me to Dungeons & Dragons. I just about flipped my lid when I discovered it. It was simultaneous everything I'd ever wanted from a game and like nothing I ever knew was possible.

I played RPGs vigorously and at every opportunity from '96 until about 2012 (sprinkling the occasional board/card game in when needed) as my regular game groups started having trouble aligning schedules. In an attempt to fill the void of no RPGs, I started spending more energy researching board games. I found an FLGS that hosted regular game nights and was able to find more friends to game with.

Still (especially lately) been itching to assemble a group for another RPG campaign, as it has been far, far too long.

My video game hobby continues, as well. I have about 17 different game consoles and a fair share of titles for each. Plus PC gaming.

So, yeah, I do it all.

2) 36

3) I have nothing else that I would consider a "hobby". When I do have free time, between board games, video games and (sigh) RPGs, I find that they more than occupy me. I find I don't have enough time with the hobbies I do have, let alone trying to fit others into my life. Everything else I do I would probably qualify as "chores". Edit: If it counts, I am a bit of a cinephile. I don't watch as many as I used to nor do I go out to the theater anymore...but I love movies and am always looking for opportunities to watch them.

4) Really depends but if I had to give some rough numbers right now, I would say: Video games = 50%, Board games = 40%, RPGs = 10%. That's mostly because, as aforementioned, I don't have a steady RPG group at present. If I did, RPGs would probably take about 50% and the other two would split the remainder. Video games are what I do primarily when I'm alone or have free time during the week. Board games are usually for weekends, when friends are available to kill an afternoon/evening with me. Don't really care much for solo board games.

5) My wife is not a gamer by any stretch, although she enjoys the occasional lighter game when I can convince her to play. My kids are getting a bit older (they'll be 8 this fall), so they're starting to play more and more board games with me, which is awesome. I've got some that I'm really excited to expose them to. I also can't wait for the day when I drop them into their first RPG adventure and see how they react. Anticipating that day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harry Jacobs
Canada
Yellowknife
Northwest Territories
flag msg tools
mbmb

Yes, I play some video games and the odd RPG, I did not stop when I got into board games.

upper middle age

Involved in the local search and rescue group.

board games is maybe once a week for 2 - 4 hours. SAR is couple times a month for up to 3 days but generally a couple of hours.

Nope

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.