Highland
UT
flag msg tools
To play is human; to win, divine.
badge
There is no shame in losing, if you remain unafraid to play again. -Losers
mbmbmbmbmb
ATTENTION: DO NOT POST IN THIS THREAD

Subscribe to this thread if you want official announcements related to the 2017 Gen Con OLWLG-Using No-Ship Math Trade, such as a notification when the geeklist has been created, when wantlist submission is open, results have been posted, etc.

If you want to discuss this math trade or review the rules or format of this trade, go here: DISCUSSION THREAD

Here is the GEEKLIST.

Here are the basics:

Key dates and times
Geeklist creation & submissions open: July 3 (Approximately)
Submissions close: Saturday, July 29, 6 pm Eastern
Want List submission close: Saturday, August 5, 6 pm Eastern.

Meet Up
This is a no-ship event. Participants are encouraged to meet and trade on their own.

This is now an official Gen Con Event. Everyone who plans to attend the meetup should get a ticket to SEM17122581.

We will meet on Friday, August 18, at 8:00 am – 8:30 am in Westin Capitol II

Please also note:

Exchanging Cash inside Gen Con and especially during the seminar is prohibited by Gen Con. Doing so may result in no future math trades at Gen Con. Participants should exchange cash electronically before the convention.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Lam I Am
United States
Highland
UT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The GEEKLIST is now active.

You can submit items from now until 6 pm Eastern, July 29th.

The math trade will not be visible in the OLWLG until JeffyJeff activates it on his end.

Remember to post comments and questions in the Discussion Thread Only, not here!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Lam I Am
United States
Highland
UT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After some discussion, I've decided to extend the Wantlist submission period. Instead of being 3 days, it will now be 7 days (until August 5th). The main post has been edited to reflect this change.

Also, please read the rules before posting to the Geeklist.

I know it takes a little more effort on your part to read and comply with the rules. But it wastes a lot of my time and could throw a wrench in the math trade if you ignore the rules.

In particular: Describe the condition of your games using the BGG Marketplace terms listed in the rules. Uniform terminology ensures that people know what they are trading for. The rules also ask you to list the edition of the game you are trading. This is important because, again, we want people to know what they are trading for and people shouldn't have to ask "What version/edition?" in the comments.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Lam I Am
United States
Highland
UT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

1. Looking for a few good geeks

Because the math trade is an official Gen Con event this year and we have a room and a limited time frame, I'm looking for people who are willing to help a little (with setup, cleanup, collecting tickets, and/or 'herding cats' during the event). I don't need a major time commitment and you won't need to do anything prior to Gen Con.

If people show up wanting to learn about math trades I will have to give a seminar presentation during the event so I can't do it all (but I do have a plan and will bring all materials required for the event).

Send me a geekmail if you are a kind soul willing to share a teeny bit of the burden.

2. Bring out yer games!

Two weeks and a day until the item submission period ends.

Don't procrastinate! I expect we'll have a fair number of people jump on board after the Abecorn trade ends Sunday and then the last week is always an avalanche. Your items have a better chance of getting noticed if you get them posted early.

If you have friends coming to Gen Con, let them know about the math trade. The more people we have, the more trades we will make.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Lam I Am
United States
Highland
UT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
REMINDER: The deadline to submit items is this Saturday, 6pm EDT.

Please take a moment before then to review items you have already posted, make sure you've correctly listed each item's condition and your availability. Reply to any comments on your items.

If you plan to attend the meetup, get a ticket to SEM17122581.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Lam I Am
United States
Highland
UT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One day left to post & edit your items!

I might not close the geeklist at exactly 6:00 pm tomorrow - depends on my schedule - but you are taking your chances if you put off listing an item until 6 pm tomorrow.

I know we have some new math traders among us, so I will try to post some basic instructions late Saturday or Sunday on how to easily create and submit wantlists.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Lam I Am
United States
Highland
UT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Geeklist is now locked and you may submit your wantlists. I posted some tips about submitting wantlists in the Discussion Thread.

Based on the poll results in the discussion thread, I intend to leak a little info for those who have submitted a wantlist by 9 pm EDT on Thursday. More on that later.

For now, enjoy perusing this giant list of games!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Lam I Am
United States
Highland
UT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Submitting Wantlists

Just a reminder to those who are new to OLWLG - YOU MUST SUBMIT A WANTLIST in Step 4. If you did not get a geekmail from JeffyJeff, you did not submit a wantlist. If you have any doubt, press this button in OLWLG:

Find your username. Is there a date in the far right column next to your name? If not, you did not submit a wantlist. If the date is shaded pink, you've made changes that have not been submitted.

Remember that you may not offer/want a cash item for another cash item. So if you are both offering cash and wanting cash, you must keep those separate.

Finally, unless you are prepared to receive 12 copies of Junta, take the time to learn how to use duplicate protection. I posted a link in the discussion thread that has a tutorial with pictures.

Spoiler Info

I will release a spoiler list showing who has at least one trade as of approximately 9 pm EDT Thursday. The spoiler list is no guarantee of future results, because wantlists change.

If you don't want to be included in the spoiler, geekmail me.

I may include a few other generally-applicable tidbits, such as the current number of overall trades, how many people are trading below x%, etc. Also, I might aggregate people who only have 1 item listed, rather than posting something definitive about their 1 item. If you want to share additional opinions about this, use the Discussion Thread.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Lam I Am
United States
Highland
UT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I will close wantlist submissions no earlier than 6pm EDT Saturday. I do have things happening Saturday and it takes a while to run Trade Maximizer on such a large trade, so please don't wait by your computer. I will send out a geekmail when results are posted (which will be sometime Saturday barring a major catastrophe.)

And now what you've all been waiting for...

As of the wantlists submitted by approximately 9pm EDT today, the following users with at least 2 items listed had at least 1 trade:

Note: this is not a guarantee of future performance! The last time I saw my own name in a spoiler list like this I had only 1 low-priority trade. soblue

Spoiler (click to reveal)
AaronR  
ActualSlack  
adgrogan 
alanmb 
Ancylid 
Annsa 
aquariankate 
bfogartyjr@aol.com 
bigmikew 
Blarghedy 
bluewizard 
bmayer 
boyo25guy 
CaptEli 
CashMachine 
cbot1980 
Changer628 
Cinnibar 
citantim  
cptnemo 
creagan  
cyko 
daliles  
dantependragon  
Daramere  
darthmaule  
darwalker23 
devyogi  
dhopkins 
distractingflare  
dmrzzz  
dpapinea  
Drahken 
dschleicher  
dtroyano 
Dunhere 
Executioner 
EYanyo  
EzzValdez  
fdoug64  
FezAZ 
Figgmeister 
FrankNBeans13 
Gamer_Moose  
gnoll_commissar 
Goatcabin 
graznador  
Havox  
Heron78  
HooeyPooey  
ilexVA 
Jackmalay 
Jakatoma 
jibbyjackjoe 
jimmcmahon 
joemagicman 
Khomerun72 
KittyPaws9 
kresho 
ksuquix  
LarryWithOneL  
Left  
levzilla 
limdulx51 
lonadar  
Ludodoc 
LuekingGood  
maijstral 
Mandor 
mindseye1 
Mtesh84 
niftykracker  
ninkobob  
nipterink 
pdrseuss  
pottsas 
punkin312 
qwaserity 
qzhdad 
Ranior 
raynovich 
reinfire13  
Rodego 
rosborn 
Roshz  
ryanrebs  
samlamiam 
savagec  
SeanXor  
sethvanorden  
slapymcgee  
tdhsmith 
tenetjax 
thesumo5 
thorphin  
Throat_Rip 
TotalRath  
trumpeter44 
WestMatt  
Wheatie  
wigunowner  
zastrygon 
ZombieDad2  
zyater 

Of these, 21 have only 1 trade and 51 are trading 25% or less of their items.

Of users who listed 1 item for trade and submitted a wantlist, 2 of 7 have a trade.

Overall, 529 total trades right now. This will go up as more people submit their wantlists.

Keep updating and submitting!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Lam I Am
United States
Highland
UT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm posting some instructions now for the meetup, so they don't get lost in the shuffle/bonanza/exuberance and general chaos of Gen Con prep after tomorrow.

What to do before Gen Con

1. Communicate with each trade partner; arrange meetings outside the meetup if you so desire, exchange phone numbers, etc. Consider if you have some distinctive hat/shirt etc. you can wear and let them know what to look for. Samlamiam, for example, will be wearing a bright blue cookie monster t-shirt.
2. Get a ticket to SEM17122581
3. Print your BGG User ID in LARGE TYPE on one (or more) banner(s) at least 8.5 x 11 in size (check out Ryodoan's post on this topic)
4. Print out a list of your trade partners, phone numbers, and what you are exchanging
5. Complete any and all money exchanges via Paypal, Amazon, Venmo, etc.
6. Bring the games you are trading away!

What to do Friday at Gen Con

Where: Westin, Capitol II (first floor)

When to arrive
Helpful? If you are super-awesome: Show up 30 minutes early to help Sam set up.
Lots of trades? If you are trading more games than you can carry in your arms, arrive 15 minutes early, so we can set you up in a place that will not create a bottleneck.
Everyone else: Arrive between 7:55 and 8:00 am. DON’T BE LATE – WE ONLY HAVE 30 MINUTES!

What to do when you arrive
1. Get out your banner and trade list
2. Go to the door labelled Math Trade Entrance.
3. Deposit your SEM17122581 ticket and sign in to prove you were there.
4. The 54’ x 50’ hall will (I hope) be set up roughly as you see below. Enter the 12' wide corridor displaying your username banner and trade with people lined up to your right and left. After you pass everyone, take the first available empty space. Don’t leave gaps. Squeeze in close or we will run out of room! (I expect 150-200 people!) By following this pattern you will either walk past your trade partner or they will walk past you.

(Diagram not to scale and the actual path to the exit may include more turns.)
5. If people around you leave, scoot closer to the entrance to free up additional room.
6. After your trades are complete, feel free to leave. Stick around to help move back chairs if you are so inclined.
7. DO NOT EXCHANGE CASH AT THE MEETUP OR YOU MAY LOSE YOUR GEN CON BADGE!

Odds & Ends

Take a moment to tip
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
mbmbmbmbmb
some geekgold for creating and maintaining OLWLG.

Lastly, thanks for participating. Stay subscribed, I intend to post a poll after Gen Con to get feedback on the Gen Con math trades and to get an early start for next year.
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hopkins
United States
Rockford
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it absolutely necessary to have a ticket? It's already past the ship date, and I'm not too keen on standing in will call to pick up a ticket to a free trade event.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Lam I Am
United States
Highland
UT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dhopkins wrote:
Is it absolutely necessary to have a ticket? It's already past the ship date, and I'm not too keen on standing in will call to pick up a ticket to a free trade event.

sauron Please post questions in the discussion thread. sauron
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Lam I Am
United States
Highland
UT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Preliminary Results have been posted! Look for them in the OLWLG main page.

If you see a problem, notify me immediately via Geekmail. Results will be finalized Sunday morning no earlier than 12 hours from now, assuming there are no problems.

Read my post above about what you need to do before you leave for Gen Con - communicate with your trade partners and make any cash payments AFTER THE RESULTS ARE FINAL.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Lam I Am
United States
Highland
UT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Results are now final.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Lam I Am
United States
Highland
UT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is all posted in the math trade rules, but I'll repeat it here:

If you receive cash or equivalents (gift cards, etc.) in the math trade, you should follow the instructions at this link:

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1483987/cash-value-trades-m...

to ensure boardgamegeek receives its commission.

Cash trades should be done electronically before Gen Con. Cash trades are prohibited during the meetup.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Lam I Am
United States
Highland
UT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm excited to see you all in 4 days!

We should have a pretty large crowd. We have "sold" 148 tickets so far to the Seminar and I expect a number of people to show up without tickets. In order to make sure we can handle the crowd, a few final requests:

1. Please help! I will most likely need to move chairs to make the room usable for our needs. Afterwards, the chairs will need to be put back and we'll need to pick up any trash. Many hands make light work. So if you can arrive early or stay a few minutes late to help, I would appreciate it very much.

2. Come prepared and organized. Print out your user ID in large type and bring a list of your trades.

3. Reread my "What to do" post above.

Make sure you are wearing your Gen Con badge - this is an official Gen Con event.

Post any questions or comments to the Discussion thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Lam I Am
United States
Highland
UT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had a fun time meeting many of you last Friday!

I created a poll so you could give me feedback on the math trade and help me plan for next year.

Please take a couple minutes to answer my questions while the math trade is fresh on your mind.

Here's the poll:

https://boardgamegeek.com/article/26709072#2670907
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Lam I Am
United States
Highland
UT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have submitted a request to Gen Con to hold the math trade as a free seminar at 8 am Friday at Gen Con this year.

I plan to have the math trade open up in June. I'll post again here in a few months when I solidify my plans.

If you want to discuss, or ask questions, use this thread for now:

https://boardgamegeek.com/article/26709072
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Lam I Am
United States
Highland
UT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I hate to say this, but it looks like I will not be attending Gen Con in 2018. soblue Maybe next year!

I won a free trip to Origins and am going to try out Origins this year instead.

If anyone wants to take over the OLWLG moderating job, I'm happy to help explain things and pass the mantle of responsibility. Also, if Gen Con will allow me, I'll try to pass on my event/room request to whoever is moderating.

Send me a geekmail if interested. You're also welcome to post in the discussion thread linked above.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Lam I Am
United States
Highland
UT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Last call, if someone wants to take over the 2018 math trade event at Gen Con, let me know via Geekmail. I will be canceling the event in a couple days if I hear from nobody.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.