Subject: Concordia and Rococo rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Peter van der Helm
Netherlands
Deventer
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lately I've been looking in some games that use the deck pooling/ deckbuilding mechanic in a different way than the regular deckbuilders like Dominion and Thunderstone. In that regard Concordia and Rococo seem to have a nice twist on this mechanic.
What are the overal opinions about these two? Are they similar in that regard? The dresses also seem similar to the house building in Concordia.
Different enough to own both?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
Concordia isn't anything like deckbuilding really. Though it's amazing and worth owning.

You can try it free on boiteajeux.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
scifiantihero wrote:
Concordia isn't anything like deckbuilding really. Though it's amazing and worth owning.

You can try it free on boiteajeux.
They are very different games.

Concordia doesn't feel like a deckbuilder as much as Rococo does. In Concordia, you play your cards and when you want, you play a card to recover your entire deck. So there's never a time when you say "I didn't draw the cards I wanted!" Rococo has that.

Concordia is a bit different in that every card, in addition to giving you an action, also scores points for different things. So you have to manage what cards you buy by balancing what you want to do as well as how you want to score.

Both are great games. I own and recommend both. I think Concordia is the better game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Taranto
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
peterhelm wrote:
Lately I've been looking in some games that use the deck pooling/ deckbuilding mechanic in a different way than the regular deckbuilders like Dominion and Thunderstone. In that regard Concordia and Rococo seem to have a nice twist on this mechanic.
What are the overal opinions about these two? Are they similar in that regard? The dresses also seem similar to the house building in Concordia.
Different enough to own both?

For me, Rococo was great until you throw in the "decorations" aspect of the game. It's a big part of the later game but doesn't fit the theme at all. We're dressmakers! Why are we building statues and fountains and putting fireworks on the roof?

Concordia's simple rules, basic theme, and meaty decisions borne from them are its strongest points.

The hand management is very similar, yes, though Rococo's is closer to deckbuilding since you're upgrading/removing cards. In Rococo, you're set-collecting thread for dresses, as I recall, while Concordia's houses don't feel so... specific? Rococo also has a small market of limited goods while Concordia's resources are always available in some fashion. The game there is in how you manipulate the map to be able to get more/the most to grease your building/points engine while Rococo is more about fighting for resources to complete as many/the best dresses (basically contracts/missions) and put them on the right people for the most points.

(edited to add the "contracts/missions" bit.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Corrigan
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
[[img]https://boardgamegeek.com/jswidget.php?username=Krsnaji&numitems=5&header=1&text=title&images=medium&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=left&inline=1&addstyles=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1[/img]
mbmbmbmbmb
I must admit that I am reactive in regards to collectible card games (the first one is free) and therefore found your post interesting. I find deck building within games to be old as the hills and twice as dusty (monopoly). As any single aspect of game is actually not nesscarly that definitive as the dynamics between those elements, comparison is often fairly moot regarding how the game plays but for some esthetic preferance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam P
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
Buy everything!

Oh, and Lewis & Clark also has a hand-management mechanism. You'll have to buy that as well.

I've played all three games. Concordia is great and the most accessible, Rococo is great with gamers but has some odd rules (mentioned above), Lewis & Clark is a race game with some downtime issues, but a good game.

Mombasa also has hand-management, get that one too! ...and Great Western Trail!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hans Moleman
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
I was saying boo-urns
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DEFINITELY different enough to own both of them -- which I currently do.

Both games manage a 'deck' but quite differently as others have pointed out, so I'll try to summarize here:

Concordia -- you'll have a large hand of cards that are essentially one-time use with one card allowing you to re-pick up the discards to use the again. If you plan accordingly you can make some easy coins so efficiency goes a LONG LONG way in this game. Cards are important as they are not only the actions you play throughout the game, but also the points.

Rococo -- cards are essentially 2 different actions; one being the rank (apprentice, journeyman, master) which give you a choice between the games 6 available actions AND then card ability (if it has one; most do but some of the starters do not). You must exhaust your deck before you redraw so this one is significantly much more deck reliant. There are a bunch of ways to get VPs in this game but most are a result of board actions you take [though the cards do offer some points, especially during the last round as those employees are end game bonuses].

In terms of depth, the games are similar; however Corcordia is much more easier to teach and digest -- I mean, everyone has played a trading in the Mediterranean game in the past before...amirite???
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett McLay
United States
South Burlington
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
peterhelm wrote:
...In that regard Concordia and Rococo seem to have a nice twist on this (deckbuilding) mechanic.
What are the overal opinions about these two? Are they similar in that regard? ... Different enough to own both?

thunk wrote:
They are very different games.

Concordia doesn't feel like a deckbuilder as much as Rococo does. In Concordia, you play your cards and when you want, you ... recover your entire deck. So there's never a time when you say "I didn't draw the cards I wanted!" -- Rococo has that.

+ 1 Concordia.
Both games score all at the end, so there's more than a little mental juggling to do. Different enough to own both? (imo) Stick with Concordia.
If you want more multi-use card design, look into La Granja.
Or embrace the wargame Paths of Glory -- enough about silly dresses! Cycle your cards in the trenches of World War I.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.