aaron belmer
United States
Webster Groves
St Louis
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The tcho tcho page isn't very active so thought I'd post here.

(also we DO play with high priests expansion)

I've read and reread and rereread the thco tcho spell books and unlock conditions, and I'm playing these guys tomorrow night, and trying to formulate a little strategy.

So if I've got this down:

(1) get out some high priest (either high priests or another gate)
(2) in first doom phase, get out great old one
(3) get Hierophants spell book

This is where strategy starts to path off. It seems I sort of play a 'stay out of everyone's way' strategy, as my guys are NOT fighters. Hopefully no one picks on me? slowly get defense spell books which will mitigate possible attacks.

Soulless seems important obviously, as you can freely wander with your acolytes without fear of capture, since it would be a (relatively) wasted action for enemies to do so (make sure and stress this point).

then just what, build gates, try to stay in 2nd-3rd place (off the radar, which is an art, never pull into first place until the end ), then finish with some strong rituals of annihilation sac'ing your high priests? the rest comes from your opponents rituals?

The strategy guide in the box says that these are really powerful early, then hit a wall. I'm having trouble seeing that. I'm assuming 'really powerful early' means I'm generating more power than anyone else (plus have opportunity to sac high priests which is nice).

but I guess my big question, if I AM generating way more power than anyone early, what am I supposed to effectively do with that power, go build a bunch of gates and paint a target on my back? Maybe I'm just not getting these guys conceptually.

I get the guys that mess with combat dice, but maybe I just need to play them first to appreciate them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Hobbit
Greece
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
You might find this helpfull https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1787262/tcho-tcho-reina-obs...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
aaron belmer
United States
Webster Groves
St Louis
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Alcex wrote:

thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron K
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When playing with the HP expansion, summoning Ubbo the first round is possible and therefore another round of growth. I wonder how effective this more aggressive tactic could be...especially when combined with a healthy dose of IGOOs/terrors and Neutrals.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Hobbit
Greece
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Talae wrote:
When playing with the HP expansion, summoning Ubbo the first round is possible and therefore another round of growth. I wonder how effective this more aggressive tactic could be...especially when combined with a healthy dose of IGOOs/terrors and Neutrals.

Paying a HP + 6P for Ubbo is never worth it. Your GOO appears in the DP so you get first choice on IGOOs anyway (apart from YS).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Starks
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
With the Tcho-Tcho, it's actually a good idea to pull into a strong early lead. You can pull off some neat combos, but a lot of that is fed by fulfilling Spellbook Requirements and then receiving the free High Priest from Hierophants. What that means is that when you finish your requirements, you're no longer getting free High Priests, and now the other factions also have their GOOs out, spellbooks, etc, and you're suddenly back on your heels, fighting to maintain your once-strong lead in the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lincoln Petersen
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think summoning Ubbo first turn is actually a disgustingly good tactic an extra turn of growth is ABSOLUTELY worth it I think. You'll bounce back with the free high priests!

This will make your faction sort of hold onto late game whereas usually they fall short compared to other factions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Zev
msg tools
badge
All knowledge is worth having
mbmbmbmbmb
linkthestink wrote:
I think summoning Ubbo first turn is actually a disgustingly good tactic an extra turn of growth is ABSOLUTELY worth it I think. You'll bounce back with the free high priests!

This will make your faction sort of hold onto late game whereas usually they fall short compared to other factions.

It seems like that would depend on the die roll. If that first growth roll is a 1, then Ubbo is basically where he starts anyways, and you've sacrificed significant resources to get that non-advantage. If you roll a six on the other hand, you start turn two with more combat potential than any other faction and will be able to hold your own against the other GOOs when they emerge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Foster
United States
Henderson
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So the first strategy that springs to mind for me is (only really worth it when playing with HP):
Remove your starting gate, get Heirophants and your 2nd HP.
Make a New gate.
Make a 2nd gate/recruit your 3rd HP/whatever

Doom phase- awaken Ubbo. Lose a High Priest, get Tablet of the Gods, get your HP back, ritual for 3/4 elder signs (depending on What You did), lose 2/3 HP, get 2 more spellbooks, get 2 HP back.

Total gain at start of 2nd action phase- 4 spellbooks, 3/4 elder signs.

Total cost- basically nothing.

Seems a little obnoxious.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
aaron belmer
United States
Webster Groves
St Louis
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
after that opening then everyone comes and eats all your guys lol

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B Steverson
msg tools
mb
I crushed it with Tcho Tcho yesterday. Granted, it was all because I chose to start far away from everyone, keep to myself and set up an elder sign printing machine and it wasn't until the 4th round that people decided they should try to stop me at which point it was too late. Now that these players know more or less how Tcho Tcho can work, I doubt that will ever happen again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Starks
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Doom Phase abilities (such as Awakening Ubbo-Sathla) typically happen at the end of the Doom Phase, after your chance to Ritual. That changes this kind of opening.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron K
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AdamStarks wrote:
Doom Phase abilities (such as Awakening Ubbo-Sathla) typically happen at the end of the Doom Phase, after your chance to Ritual. That changes this kind of opening.
They happen during your turn of the Doom Phase and you get to decide the sequence unless they otherwise say differently. TT definitely has the most options in the Doom Phase and opponents are going to get better at watching for that quickly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Starks
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, that's another OMR change then. Here's an excerpt from the rulebook predating OMR:
Quote:
Special Events
Many Spellbooks and special abilities take effect in the Doom Phase. Unless otherwise stated, these
occur after Rituals of Annihilation (if any), but before Victory Determination. In case of a dispute, the
First Player takes his Action first, and then proceed around the table. Some map events also occur here
(available in later expansions). Some examples include Black Goat’s Blood Sacrifice, and the two Doom
Phase Spellbooks Great Cthulhu receives.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.