Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Scott
United States
Randolph
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Always ask yourself, "What would Joan of Arc do?"
mbmbmbmbmb
I've started pushing some counters around in the Death Valley scenario, and while things seem pretty clear overall I did have just a couple of things I wasn't sure about.

One is about "buying" an activation chit during the action phase (2C in the Extended Sequence of Play). What exactly is considered an "available" chit at this point? Is it just any chit that is available in the scenario but is not in the Cup (because it wasn't purchased earlier)? Or is a chit in the Cup that hasn't come out yet also "available" (so even though you already bought it you could spend again to use it immediately rather than wait for it to be drawn)?

The other question is about the TQC made on a Rout Check. Item 'd' on the list of modifiers to this check on page 21 says to add or subtract the defense and TQ values of any status markers in the hex. Does "status markers" here include only those markers that are shown as Status Markers on page 6, or does it include any markers that may affect TQ or Defense, such as Heavy Barrage, Fortification, and Assault markers? (If it's the latter, as I think it probably is, then I guess an Assault Marker would have no overall effect on the TQC because the TQ bonus is the same magnitude as the defensive penalty, right? And a Pillbox would give you a huge effective benefit of 5 on a TQC because of the +2 TQ and -3 Defense, correct?)

Really enjoying the game so far and looking forward to getting into it more and moving on to the bigger scenarios.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ross Mortell
England
Bristol
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Hello Brian,

"available" means not in the cup so yes you could purchase it again immediately.

Status Markers in this case would include Barrages, Fortifications etc.

Assault Marker would cancel out as you say.

Yes a Pillbox is a huge benefit - you are unable to Rout those guys until later in the Campaign when their TQ has dropped due to Fatigue.

Glad you are enjoying it - once you get up to speed it plays quickly and has a lot of tension.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Scott
United States
Randolph
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Ross,

Thanks for the quick reply. I'm still not sure I fully understand the activation rules yet, though. Maybe a concrete example might help - suppose I have three Formation chits available to me, for Regiments 1, 2, and 3. In phase 1-C I buy the chits for 1 and 2 and put them in the Cup. I don't buy chit 3, so it does not go in the Cup.

Suppose the first chit draw is for my Regiment 1 - I do my activation and put the chit aside. Then at some later point in the turn I decide for whatever reason that I want to spend 2 Dispatch points to buy a chit and use it immediately (phase 2-C). At this point chit 1 is not in the Cup (because it was already drawn and used), chit 2 is still in the Cup, and chit 3 is not in the Cup because it wasn't bought this turn. What are my options for which Formation chit to buy at this point?

One other related question - if the current TQ of a Division is such that you can't purchase any Formation chits for it in 1-C, can you also not buy any Formation chits for it during the Action Phase? The restriction isn't explicitly repeated in section 2-C of the Sequence, but I it seemed like it was probably implied by the "may not be purchased this turn" language in 1-C. Just wanted to double-check...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ross Mortell
England
Bristol
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb

Hi Brian,

your options are to purchase chits 1 or 3.

2 can't be purchased because it is in the cup.

On point 2 you are correct - I will add it to the FAQ for clarity
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Starkweather
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Brian and Ross - I hate to correct Ross but any chit that was in the cup for the turn can't be selected as an interrupt. The only one you could buy in your example is chit 3.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ross Mortell
England
Bristol
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Damn.

Sorry Brian - Adam is correct.

That will teach me to reply at 1 in the morning.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Scott
United States
Randolph
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks guys. It looks like I originally interpreted the activation rule correctly, then started to second guess myself. It might not be a bad idea to add a line somewhere in that section that makes more explicit exactly what constitutes an "available" chit during the Action Phase.

Well, time to get back to Death Valley...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Filip Olow
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

I too am a bit confused about the idea of purchasing activations. Just to make sure I got the above right:

If I want to make sure that I get to activate a formation first (supposing I have initiative) or last (in order to anticipate something my opponent does) I should not purchase the chit to be added to the cup, but leave it to be purchased in the Action phase. Right?

Another question: Is there a limit on how many times a single unit can be activated? For example, could a unit act when its formation chit is drawn or bought, when its division chit is drawn AND during the direct activation chit, all during the same turn.

Like Brian, I thought I got it, but then started to second guess myself, in my case probably due to ideas inherited from other systems.

Kind regards,

Filip

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Starkweather
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Filip...here you go:

Quote:
If I want to make sure that I get to activate a formation first (supposing I have initiative) or last (in order to anticipate something my opponent does) I should not purchase the chit to be added to the cup, but leave it to be purchased in the Action phase. Right?

Correct

Quote:
Another question: Is there a limit on how many times a single unit can be activated? For example, could a unit act when its formation chit is drawn or bought, when its division chit is drawn AND during the direct activation chit, all during the same turn.

There is no limit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Filip Olow
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Adam,

Thank you so much for the reply!

/Filip

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gonzalo Santacruz de la Torre
Spain
Rivas Vaciamadrid
Madrid
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
adamant wrote:
Hey Brian and Ross - I hate to correct Ross but any chit that was in the cup for the turn can't be selected as an interrupt. The only one you could buy in your example is chit 3.

Hi Adam, playing scenario 2 this was my first doubt about using dispatch points, which chit could be bought. But thinking on it, makes sense to be available to buy in this case chit 3.

Could you tell me please where is this explained on the rulebook?

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Starkweather
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Gonzalo...I'm not exactly sure what rule you're looking to find but if it is that you can't just the same chit over and over again, I guess it is best mentioned in the Sequence of Play, 2. Action Phase, step C...

Let me know if that's what you meant.

Adam

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spain
Rivas Vaciamadrid
Madrid
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Yes, it's clear thanks, and it has all the sense. I mean that I think such clarification is not on the rules. Or I'm missing it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Starkweather
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If that's what you meant, it's in the rules at least in the sequence of play. I'll try and make it more clear in the next CSS ruleset.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spain
Rivas Vaciamadrid
Madrid
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Yes, it's on the sequence of play, the problem from my point of view is that all that it's explained on the SoP usually it's also on one section of the rules, but I think this is not the case.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.