This War of Mine: The Board Game» Forums » General

Subject: [Spoiler zone] Share your story! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Awaken Realms
msg tools
publisher
Hey guys!

We are so excited that so many of you finally get the game we have put so much effort into, that we can't wait for you to share your stories form game!

As you might know - book of scripts have about 1 900 entries and game is done in a way, that not one play-through will be similar. This is why we want to hear your unique stories!

What happened to your group? How was the discussion going about tough choices? What was the consequences of your choices?

Now, this will be obviously SPOILER ZONE for anyone that don't want to have ANYTHING spoiled. But since there is so many different scripts, we believe that reading 2-3 entries should not destroy anyone's fun from the game.

So heaving said that - read this thread on your own responsibility!

Now, let's start!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Gastonguay
United States
Pottstown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Act Three! Everybody Dies!
mb
Set up at work behind me. Played for about 45 minutes during lunch and was able to complete 2 days. Turn length is determined by how many times you have to interact with the Book of Scripts, each time adding to the time sometimes a little, sometimes a lot.

I'm kind of playing drunken monkey style because I don't know exactly how everything works because it's intended to be played that way, and I'm okay with that. Boris, Anton and Bruno-a Warehouse worker, Mathematician and TV Chef, respectively- are doing their best to survive the civil war that everyone thought would only last a few weeks. It's now been a year later and food, water and all other things that make life "normal" are missing.

On day one I cleared some bits out of the house and built a new bed because if I know people (and I don't), is that a good night's sleep is necessary. Boris and Anton then went to Boris' old warehouse to scrounge for parts. Unfortunately the warehouse caught fire and they were forced to flee the burning building, lungs full of smoke and arms full of shattered glass. They were able to get some electrical equipment and a hatchet, and some bandages that were immediately used to stop some of the bleeding gained in their escape.

Unfortunately the government must have assumed that my crew were rebels who intentionally set fire to that warehouse, because my own home was shelled that night after a group of starving civilians raided our stores. Bruno managed to keep himself safe by hiding in the various hidey holes of the house, but our brand new bed was destroyed.

The next day say more cleaning of the house, but the cold evening saw that rather than building a bed that none of us would sleep in, we decided to build a small heater, we prayed this wouldn't blow up in our faces. We only sent Boris out scavenging tonight, with Bruno again watching the door while Anton slept on the floor.

Boris found a quiet house and found a few things, but finally found a pantry chock full of much needed food. Poor Anton's belly was keeping everyone awake. When leaving, Boris looked inside a room to see a child playing. Apparently there was a family living in this house, he had no idea he was stealing from actual living people. He left some food, but took the rest for himself. We all need to live in these times, right?

Some armed thugs tried to break down the door to our home that night, but Bruno had a hatchet, and after seeing the damage he could do with it, the Thugs left to look for easier prey.

Now that the pantry is full, the new Dawn is looking better, but the wounds gained from the shelling and the fire from previous days aren't healing well, and some medicine will have to be found. Also, the chapter objective involves removing a gun from our stocks. Tall order in two more days.

Edit

And just like that, game over.

I wasn't able to do much during the day as the wounds everyone had limited their production capabilities. I made a workbench so I could make more lockpicks and things. I also had our chef whip up more veggies, while Anton risked going to the front door. Luckily he found someone to trade with and we were able to unload all of our electrical equipment we've stolen in order to get some food and cigarettes for Bruno.

Then we sent Boris to sleep on the floor since he was barely standing while Bruno stood watch at the door again. Anton went to the Military Base which was a big risk, but it was the closest location and also had the possibility to acquire a handgun which I would need in the next two days or I'd be beaten by the same army members.

Anton was noticed for making too much noise (rolled a '2') and the members of the army promptly beat him up. Sadly with all the other wounds he had received, he was never able to make it back to the shelter. Anton died bruised and beaten on the streets, another anonymous shape amidst the rubble.

Bruno at the door didn't have any problems over the night, but the hunger in his belly was grating at him. When the sun rose, he took a risk and left the safety of the shelter, looking for his other friend, hoping a few chefs could make their food rations last longer. However a sniper's eye was sharp in the morning light, dousing Bruno's light before our former celebrity even knew it.

Boris was left alone in the shelter. Everyone had left, and none had left. Not only had his friends left, but so had his girlfriend and daughter. The loneliness and sadness became too much. At least his death was his own choice, and not the choice of some other faceless thug.

---------------------

Well, that (de)escalated quickly. Clearly I learned quite a few things during this playthrough that I'll pay more attention to. Like, I'll leave more parts and recover more water when searching, I'll build more stuff and clear less things until I need to. The visitor space is more useful than I think.

But what a way to lose yourself for a few hours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris W
United States
Bel Air
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We tried a run of being as helpful as possible to those around us. When our neighbor asked for help, we sent one of our characters to help. We got nothing in return except for the knowledge we did something to help someone else.

We had a couple bad days of scavenging. We were able to find a little bit of food, but only enough to feed one or two people per day, so our characters were very hungry. On night three, we decided to focus on finding as much food as possible, so two of our characters went scavenging while Cveta, our unarmed school principal, stayed to guard the house.

That was a mistake. Our characters returned from scavenging to find the principal badly wounded from a night raid. Luckily, while Cveta was unable to do anything because of her wounds, a new character, Boris, came to join our party.

Since Boris has plenty of inventory space, we decided to send him out scavenging by himself while the other two healthy survivors stayed to defend the house and the ailing Cveta.

Boris's scavenging came to a quick end when he came across a group of rebels who were armed with a pistol and an assault rifle. Boris was able to take out one of the rebels with a quick shot from his own pistol, but he was immediately cut down by the other.

As the new day dawned, it was clear that Boris was not coming back with bandages, and Cveta succumbed to her wounds. Having lost two companions, after having gone two days without coffee and cigarettes, the remaining two survivors found the misery a little too much to bear.

Our party came to a tragic end--all on the same night.

We'll try again with a new group of survivors tonight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Swindlehurst
United Kingdom
Preston
Lancashire
flag msg tools
In favour of more unspecified meat products.
badge
Careful, I'm ticklish.
mbmbmbmbmb
The game arrived here in Lancashire on Tuesday and we've now had time to run through it a couple of times.

The first play lasted three hours.

We lost.

Badly.

In fact very badly.

The second playthrough ran for 5 hours and ten minutes.
During that time we...
Gave sweets to the local children.
Moved rubble.
Went hunting for rats.
Helped a man burn his wife on a funeral pyre in the garden.
Moved rubble.
Killed a teenager.
Went to the cinema.
Made moonshine.
Argued with the army.
Moved rubble.
And got more stressed out over water/wood supplies than is healthy.
Then we got to the final dawn phase with only one character remaining who, luckily for us, was one of our original group. Poor Pavle, he's been through so much over the last few hours, but his wounds have healed, he had eaten his weight in ribs and unspecified tinned products, he was well rested and all we needed was for the meds to take effect and reduce his illness down to two.

It was in the hands of fate.

But.

Fate can be a b**ch.

We lost. At the last second. All that work and all that time. All the blood, sweat and tears were for nought. We lost.

We lost.

WE LOST.

I didn't realise I could get so emotionally involved in a game. Thanks to all involved for bringing this product to fruition. The journal was a great way to learn and we have had no issues in understanding what, where or why we are doing anything. The components are first class. The gameplay is compelling, interesting, thought provoking, funny, and sad.

But we lost...

and we can't wait to play it again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Steely
United States
Fort Collins
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So if you somehow miss that you get starting resources...your people don't live very long. Our first play two people starved to death by the first night and not knowing what happens if you leave no guard we sent the third one out. And thus ends the first game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.