Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
3 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » BoardGameGeek Related » BGG Bugs

Subject: "error fetching BGG API response: non-XML reply" rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robin Zigmond
United Kingdom
Durham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not quite sure if this is the right forum for this query - since I have no idea if the problem I'm about to describe is due to a bug or (more likely) me not understanding something. I've chosen here because this appears to be where the majority of API-related queries are posted - but if there is a better place, admins please feel free to move it there

I'm a beginning programmer, and a project I've started working on as part of the course I'm on involves me getting some board game data from BGG (and then displaying some cool interactive charts based on it, but the latter isn't the issue here). I'm accessing the API using this Python package, and have written a Python script - github link here - to get the data (and then upload it to a database, but that part isn't relevant here).

I'm only interested in games with a reasonable number of user ratings, to try to keep the data relatively meaningful. So the script searches through the BGG list of games by number of user ratings, and gets the information to use in the API call from there. At the moment, as you can see from the PAGES=10 at the top, I'm collecting information on 1000 games - and it works pretty well.

After playing with my charts, I've decided that I would really love to have more data - certainly 2,000, and ideally 5,000 or perhaps even 10,000 games. But if I increase the PAGES parameter at all - even to 11 - I start getting error messages, which seem quite reproducible. The one that is baffling me at the moment is the one I quoted in this thread's subject. This happens if I try to get 11 pages, or anything up to 20 (if I try 50 I actually get a different error, but I'll worry about that one another time ).

At first I thought that there must be a problem either with some entries on the API, or with my own code that was overlooking some subtleties that would only come into play with particular entries. So I thought that there must be some game on page 11 which is causing my issue.

Except that tonight, after running multiple versions of a test script which runs through all these games one by one and calls the API with their ids, I am getting no errors at all. I can print out a list of all their names - after first getting the dump of all data - with no problems whatsoever. So why does it not work in the original script (which does absolutely the same thing)? I'm tearing my hair out over this and hope someone who knows the BGG API much better than me, and/or is a more experienced programmer, might be able to help out
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Stephenson
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a Geek Tools Guild that might be a useful resource as well.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Zigmond
United Kingdom
Durham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, I have posted there now. (And am therefore quite happy for an admin to delete this thread.)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.